Author Topic: Hi, my name is Sam, and I love riding lawn mowers... (everyone) HI SAM!  (Read 5296 times)

Offline SamIyam

• View Profile
Lawn mower racing, dang!  What a great idea!

My first recollections of driving a riding mower go back to the mid-70's when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Rago Kansas...

Grandpa had a John Deere mower that we used to ride all around the house... hittin gthe brake, revving it up and then dumping it in gear to do wheelies.

Years later as an aircraft mechanic... I had the opportunity to pilot our yard dog, which was a riding mower converted to moving airplanes around the tarmac and into hangers and such.  Talk about skill!

Fast forward to 2013... and my son and I were at a fiends place riding around the dirt oval he had just cut into his back 40.

He has a three wheeler with a 5hp Briggs and we brought my son's Honda Z50 to race around the track!

What fun!

Talk soon turned to "We need a couple of old GoKarts to race around the track... and next thing you know, I'm on craigslist looking at clapped out riding mowers dreaming of racing one around his track!

So the next couple of weeks have been spent watching youtube, searching e-bay and craigslist and generally dreaming up something that looks like a mower, but hauls-hiney and turns left!

I have built several drag cars and my buddies and I built a car we race out at Bonneville with a Vintage Model A four cylinder... so Ireading the rule book and fabbing something up should not be a problem.  I have a MIG welder, TIG welder a mill and a lathe... the usual race car fab stuff....

But what I am hung up on is the motor, where to buy parts and things like tires, rims, etc.

I did buy an old Wheel Horse hood.... and since I'm into old hot rods, it would be cool to use it, and older 60's Wheel Horse parts to have a vintage hot rod feel to it...

Then there's the engine...

I just HAVE to have a flathead... as we race a flathead banger motor at Bonneville... so, it's in my blood.

Also, I like the horizontal shaft motors... because that's what the Wheel Horse came with.

So, what motor would you guys suggest?  11hp Briggs?

Can you get speed parts for them?

Also, what is the difference between a 19 series and a 28 series?  I want something that I can buy parts for... and your help is much appreciated!

Thats it for now, it's neat to see all your build threads, so when I start on something, I'll post some pics!

Thanks again!

Sam

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, my name is Sam, and I love riding lawn mowers... (everyone) HI SAM!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »
http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=25033.0

Read this thread, and contact that man. You can find out what classes they are running.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
Give me a call at 209-481-1150, Sam. I have a shop near Modesto & have or can get everything you need. We'll be racing in Sac at Prairie City Sunday.
Bob Newman
BoNewCo MotorSports
President of Sac Valley Mower Racers.
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »
Sam,  there are a couple of mowers in the Central Valley area here that are for sale.  They are complete ready to play.  Some rule updates are need before racing at a USLMRA or ARMA sactioned race.  PM myself or Bob Newman for more details.
Dan Borba

Offline SamIyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:02:55 pm »
Thanks guys!

Bob, I'll give you a call when I get a break in the action! 

I would be interested in heading over to Sac/Lodi to see some racing action!

Dan, I'm one of those guys that likes to build stuff for the sake of building.  Which may sem like I'm doing this:   :bash:

But in the end, I just enjoy keeping busy out in the garage!

It will be nice to talk to Bob, visit a race and see what it's all about.

At the least, I want to construct something to run around in circles with my buddies... and who knows, I might get into it!

Sam

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:26 am »
Ok. I was trying to maybe save some time and frustration with building something new. Be sure to download and read the rule book. Tech and safety inspections are going to be strict.
Dan Borba

Offline SamIyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »
Ok. I was trying to maybe save some time and frustration with building something new. Be sure to download and read the rule book. Tech and safety inspections are going to be strict.

I appreciate you looking out for me Dan! 

It will be great to meet up with you and see your mowers...

How often do you race here in CA?  Also, where are the races?

Thanks guys!

Sam 

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »
We're having a pre-season practice session at Prairie City in Sacramento this Sunday, Jan 13 from 11 am to 4 pm. http://www.bigtimespeedway.com/getting-here/ We run a lot of the local fairs during fair season as well as many other venues. Our 2 biggest races of the year are USLMRA events at Sacramento on Memorial Day weekend & Estacada (Portland, Or) on the 4th of July. We're also working on getting our own local track going in Clements (Lodi). Info about our races can be found at Sac Valley Mower Racers on facebook.
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com