Author Topic: Copper Exhaust..  (Read 13280 times)

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
  • Wabash Valley Mower Racers
    • View Profile
Copper Exhaust..
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »
Sooo i always seem to come up with crazy crap so here it goes. Me and a buddy from work were talking about how we are building up our Opposed twins for next year and the topic of exhaust came up. Me and my brother have made a copper exhaust on his Triumph using type K thick walled copper pipe and made it into a 3-1 exhaust system. That was 3 years ago. He has sold it but he says the owner keeps it polished and it looks great and sounds awesome to this day. He sees it every once in a while at car shows. I have done my homework and i know the melting point of copper is around 1980* and while running a stock opposed at full throttle (stock) the exhaust got to 1088*. No way near melt temp. I also know that it will get hard or some say it will get softer because of temp and exhaust doesnt mix well with copper but racing engines only run for about 30-60 mins a race day and kept in a garage most of the time. Using 1 piece from each cylinder at equal lengths going into a collector and brazing them together. Has anybody thought about doing this? I know theres better ways but im just throwing it out there  :werd: :rofl: :lol2:
Holland S8 Oppy powered ModX
FXT

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Copper Exhaust..
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:45:23 pm »
I would think its too soft to hold up under racing conditions.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:48 pm »
Yeah I thought of that to. Extra support haha not saying its the best idea but it would look pretty cool. Kinda like chrome pipes on a bike
FXT

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »
I guess the big question is would you run one?  What would be the pros and cons of running a copper system?  I was thinking to get it to mount to the engine take the factory flange and hone it out to fit a 11/4" copper pipe then flair the end. When you screw the flange up it will smash the copper to seal. Extra supports to hold the headers from vibrating an falling down  and secure the collector. I know I'm going to get  :bash: but I like coming up with stupid ways even if they seem far fetched  :)
FXT

Offline russell jennings

• Turf Warrior
  • like it says on my mini: ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »
i'd run it!! try it,why not!!
Jersey Boyz Mower Racing
Garden State Racing Mower Assc.
#131 pro-x
#829 mini-pro
#44 mod-xr
#289 mini-pro

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »
My buddy at work really likes the idea and says it will give it an antique look hahaha
FXT

Offline willenglish

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:40:53 am »
Copper is heavy...VERY heavy. Heavier by 1/3 than iron. I dont think you could brace it up enough to be nearly strong enough for racing. Especially once it gets soft from the heat. Even made out of good  quality STEEL tubing of relatively thin wall thickness..a complete exhaust set up is somewhat difficult to stay bolted on and in one piece.  And copper aint even CLOSE to cheap. I believe I would stick to regular materials. If there was any performance advantage maybe..but there is none I can think of. Myself...I would be trying to fab me up something  way lighter.
William L. English, jr.

Offline garrywarber

• Just Garry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:51 am »
Sooo i always seem to come up with crazy crap so here it goes. Me and a buddy from work were talking about how we are building up our Opposed twins for next year and the topic of exhaust came up. Me and my brother have made a copper exhaust on his Triumph using type K thick walled copper pipe and made it into a 3-1 exhaust system. That was 3 years ago. He has sold it but he says the owner keeps it polished and it looks great and sounds awesome to this day. He sees it every once in a while at car shows. I have done my homework and i know the melting point of copper is around 1980* and while running a stock opposed at full throttle (stock) the exhaust got to 1088*. No way near melt temp. I also know that it will get hard or some say it will get softer because of temp and exhaust doesnt mix well with copper but racing engines only run for about 30-60 mins a race day and kept in a garage most of the time. Using 1 piece from each cylinder at equal lengths going into a collector and brazing them together. Has anybody thought about doing this? I know theres better ways but im just throwing it out there  :werd: :rofl: :lol2:

I like the idea!  Gonna look into it, but I would use M-weight copper.  K is very heavy and how much did you have to morgage the house to buy a couple feet?  For my non-racing use it would look really cool, and that is important to me...  :crazy:
Garry Warber, Crazed Oppy Cool-Bore Fan

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
  • To finish first you must first finish ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:01 am »
We have run copper exhausts on one of our oppies before. It used factory bolt on flanges with two straight pipes shooting to the ground. Though we sold the tractor a year ago, after 6 years running like this we never had a problem and the current owner still uses the same system. Dont forget to consider that it was a stock oppie and my 21CI OHV turns my custom car headers exhaust glowing red.

Hope this helps   8)
Micheal Carrier

Owner of Carrierperformance.net , lawn mower racing superstore.

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:49 am »
Thanks guys. My oppy is pretty much stock but will have some mods to it and turning about 4500-4800 for the splash and my pressure with billet rods will spin 5500. I like the 2-1 for the sound and torque advantages. Type K runs for $7.19 a foot here. The reason I say K is because its thicker so its less likely to crack. Isn't L thicker then M? If I remember correctly M is.035 thick? M would be lighter.
FXT

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:29:05 am »
Type M is .035 thick type L is .055 thick and type K is .065 thick
FXT

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
I THINK THAT WOULD LOOK COOL POLISHED!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline singledad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »
Does the heat not discolor the copper? Wouldnt you be repolishing it all the time?

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »
Close to the engine it will discolor but as the further you get away from the engine the copper will stay the same color. Yes if you want to keep it looking shiny then you would have to keep it polished from time to time. I'm going o pick up some copper tomorrow and will start working on it. I'll post pics when im finished
FXT

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »
You do realize this mower gets the name "Coppyrhead" right?
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

anything