Author Topic: MWSC V-twin Dyno Run  (Read 45466 times)

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MWSC V-twin Dyno Run
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:48 pm »
To be bp legal it'll be right around 100 hp, but the power band will be a lot shorter while at 100 hp. For now. The motor is going back on the dyno in jan for more testing. This motor costs that much cuz there's a lot more work to get a 45 cube motor that big vs a larger cid engine.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »
This motor costs that much cuz there's a lot more work to get a 45 cube motor that big vs a larger cid engine.

So, what displacement did it start life as?
It was stated by someone that this engine (in the video) was 45ci. It shouldnt cost anything  to get 45 cubic inches from an engine that is 45 cubic inches....

What type of fuel was it running on?

So, in summary, like I said earlier, one could spend close to $10K for 122hp, or around $5K for 100hp...(BP legal)? If I dropped that much cash on recast heads, carb and only were to yield maybe 10-15hp, I would not be real happy..
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »
Methanol. Started life as a 38 cube 18/20 hp block. This is a pulling motor. A bp legal motor with 100 hp wouldn't touch this motor on the track. In a race you're better off spending less and getting the bp. There are other motors our there that blip 100, but Stahl's motors beat them quite handily.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 05:22:01 pm »
Again....you guys are comparing apples and chicken feed....
Pullers spend more money on engines than racers do, as a generality.

I will tell you what I know about kohlers.....pay attention!

When Boogie Woogie gets a bite, he whoops tail!

Whut else matters?

If its not the ponies he has...then I guess its that chassis...cause its like brand new, never been bent or nuthin', latest greatest stuff out there!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 09:12:03 pm »
Sorry I used "track" too many times.

Pulling motor (talked to Julian and confirmed whatRyan said) $7,000-$8,000):
Over 100 hp from 7,000-12,000 rpm. Runs on methanol. Meth gives higher hp and lower torque. If it was on race gas it'd be 110 hp and 90 ft lbs of torque. In pulling you need as wide of a power band as you can get because there's no lack of traction usually.

Race motor:
Hits 100 hp in a lot smaller window. Not as wide of a power band.

I wouldn't buy the pulling motor to run on the track cuz it won't accelerate with that carb and the power isn't useable cuz it would blow the tires off.  The race motor has the nice smoothe curve that ya want.. more manageable.

On a pulling strip the race motor wouldn't be close to the pulling motor cuz of the powerband range.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »
What are the rules for cylinder heads in BP? If they have to look stock then a 44cid vtwin kohler will not make 100hp with a stock appearing cylinder head. The intake port will not move enough air.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:51 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention my motor isn't 45 cubes. Dennis raises a huuuuuuge point. Dennis bp has to be stock appearing externally.
Also in pulling every little bit you can get out of a motor is important. Also you're paying for the r&d in pulling cuz you have a cube limit so you have to play with different bore and strokes to find out what works the best. Have a cube limit is a lot more work than in racing where you can just do whatever you want to the motor and have no limits.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »
If its bp then it has to look stock. That means stock intake. That means 2bbl intake with a 2 bbl carb. Cant bolt a 1.200 to a 2bbl carb on an adapter cause it doesnt look stock. The stock heads WILL NOT make 100hp and still be able to bolt a stock intake flange to it. It will NOT happen. Our 45 has heads I would put up against anyones heads on a BP legal command. I know what they flow, what it took to get them there and it simply wont happen. You can do the math with with cfm and rpm and be close. The result is not anything close to 100hp. 75hp yes. 100hp no.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline fx28

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 10:21:44 pm »
Dennis is right on with the hp possible with the bp legal heads, they will just not flow enough air. 60 to 70 hp is possible and I only mean possible. With the air flow that my current heads will flow and using a formula for figuring hp output would only be about 60 hp and even then the flow was measured on the port only and not through the entire intake system.   As for you non believers of the output of the engine on the dyno I have personally witnessed one of these engines run on a pulling track in a tractor and it is very impressive. The bottom end of that engine is not different from what I run though it probably has the billet crank and then camshaft is different obviously. The big difference is the heads and intake system, the port height from a stock head close to 2" or more.    While it is a high horsepower motor is just to much with what we have to work with chassis wise.

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »
While it is a high horsepower motor is just to much with what we have to work with chassis wise.

I'll have to agree there Chuck. The bp mowers are getting to the point now where they have almost too much power and speed for the chassis to handle it safely. However, yours is probably the smoothest out there with the amount of power you have.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 08:59:26 am »
@ the nqs pulls $500 to win and the flatheads can pull in 4 different classes. Every 2 years you do new rod, piston, valvestrain. Every 4 ya put a crank in it. $10,000 will get you a motor that can win anywhere. For the last two years at the national pulls I haven't finished out of the top 4 in points in 3 of the classes. Points pays $1,500 to win.
Motor prices are on their way down on both styles of engines cuz of competition. But just like anything, you're going to pay morefor the best. Some people choose to spend thousands on tractors, going around the world skiing, cars, whatever your pleasure. No one said you have to buy this motor lol. And if you can do stuff yourself...you can build a kohler twin for less than $2500.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
Also factored into the cost of the flathead is the time and effort to run two different classes with one motor. One class runs a 1.2 venturi carb and the other class is open induction so long as it isn't forced. So you tach on to the base price of the motor a hilborn fuel injection system which is around $3,000.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

"Bad Company" PS/SS

anything