Author Topic: Re-use rods  (Read 28239 times)

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: Re-use rods
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »
JUST PISTONS, TOPS & SKIRTS.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
  • Wabash Valley Mower Racers
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:41 pm »
Just scored a pressure lube oppy for $150  :woo: :woo:  :lol: :dancing: :dance: :banana: :roflbow: :party: sorry I'm a little happy
Holland S8 Oppy powered ModX
FXT

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
Just scored a pressure lube oppy for $150  :woo: :woo:  :lol: :dancing: :dance: :banana: :roflbow: :party: sorry I'm a little happy
same way i felt when i got mine for 125 and fuel money...! :D
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline meanmachine

• Turf Warrior
  • #3-D Race Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »
I was checking and the Geo Metro has a 1 L engine. I may pick some up after work and  tinker with it tonight.

yep the geo bearing are what i have looked into also, you can get undersized rod bearing, my local napa give me all the specs of the bearing for the geo let me know if they work for you i still need to put the rods back in my motor.
Sometimes i use my own ideas, even if others think i'm wrong.

Offline westonedelbrock

• Turf Warrior
  • redneck racing all the way!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:52 pm »
make us all feel bad.  :( :P

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »
sorry bud lol
the cool part is the guy lives 300 miles away and he going to be driving by so he'll drop it off

yep the geo bearing are what i have looked into also, you can get undersized rod bearing, my local napa give me all the specs of the bearing for the geo let me know if they work for you i still need to put the rods back in my motor.
did you have to cut the rod and/or the bearing or dis they have one that would fit the crank?
FXT

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:58 pm »
Sorry meanmachine I just can't type today  :lol: what I meant to say was with the undersized bearing did it fit the rod without cutting or the crank journal without cutting? I just checked and the price around here for a 91 Geo metro runs about $33.
FXT

Offline garrywarber

• Just Garry
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 05:38:23 pm »

Last I knew, there is a 42 pressure lube still for sale in Kalamazoo, MI for 100 bucks...  The 46 pressure lube he had went fast though.  :-)  The owner is a member here, and has posted them for sale at least once, possibly twice so far.  I'll get it when finances permit, unless one of you guys does first.  I really don't care if it's pressure or splash, in fact I'm looking for 46's of the splasher persuasion, mostly.
Garry
Garry Warber, Crazed Oppy Cool-Bore Fan

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:11 pm »
Sorry Garry that's the one I'm getting.  :doh: he said he will bring it to me so he can break in his new engine in his car. I told him I would give him $50 for gas. I don't know if its 46 or 42? It doesn't  matter to me as long as it is a pressure lube.
I'm building a 42 splash but what concerns me is I have the engine sitting where the cylinders face front and back of the mower and the Carb sticks out of the hood on the left which puts the oil slinger on the left side of the engine. What's got me a little concerned is that when I go into a turn the oil goes to the right side of the sump pan and the splasher can't get enough oil to sling. So far I haven't had an issue but a pressure lube would make me feel better
FXT

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »
Sorry for not replying sooner. The pop up piston does not effect flow. The flow comes from the vacuum made by the piston travelling down the cylinder. Do not cut flow to increase compression by shaving the head. My pistons came out .090 of the block under the wedge and had .015 squish. I also remove much material from the block at the top of the cylinder. I open up the area between the valves and the cylinder right down to .010 above the top of the top piston ring. The pop up barely starts to recover what I remove. My engine builds just a little over 80 lbs of compression when starting but builds 180 lbs at about 3300-3600, don't know about higher as It won't turn much over that while only firing on one cylinder. I build my single flatheads the same way.

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »
Lester the popout does affect the engine. It affects flame travel. If the head and piston are not modified correctly after poping the piston out it will kill flame travel wich will kill hp and it will also affect flow. The engine will be a weaser on the top end. A properly designed combustion chamber on a flathead will be able to support 120+psi cranking and still turn big rpm and make hp. 80psi is very low in my opinion. That engine would make more hp and torque if you got the compression up. You can verify the engine is efficent by checking the flame travel markings on the piston after running the engine a while.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline garrywarber

• Just Garry
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2012, 06:38:08 am »
Sorry Garry that's the one I'm getting.  :doh: he said he will bring it to me so he can break in his new engine in his car. I told him I would give him $50 for gas. I don't know if its 46 or 42? It doesn't  matter to me as long as it is a pressure lube.
I'm building a 42 splash but what concerns me is I have the engine sitting where the cylinders face front and back of the mower and the Carb sticks out of the hood on the left which puts the oil slinger on the left side of the engine. What's got me a little concerned is that when I go into a turn the oil goes to the right side of the sump pan and the splasher can't get enough oil to sling. So far I haven't had an issue but a pressure lube would make me feel better

Very cool!  It is going to someone that really wants a pressure lube.  Alex told me the 46 went right away, but he still had the 42, so it is almost certainly a 42.  Glad you got it; now it need not haunt my thoughts!   :lol:
Garry
Garry Warber, Crazed Oppy Cool-Bore Fan

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:46 am »
Thanks Garry. I will put it to good use  ;) to get the engine to fit under the hood of a new Holland s8 you have to turn the engine sideways or you will have to cut most of the up to get it to fit and I don't want to cut it.
FXT

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »
 Just got my DVD and got the popcorn popping...
FXT

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:02 pm »
get more popcorn, and some no-doze.... :lol3:
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

anything