Author Topic: Flow  (Read 6925 times)

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Flow
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:49:50 pm »
As I put my plan together for my Kawasaki flathead. I keep coming up with more questions and most of them revolve around flow. The Kawi already has a decent size intake valve (1.5") but would it benefit from a larger one. What dictates the size of the valve besides the space available.

I know velocity is very important in filling the cylinder but can't that be dictated by the size and shape of the intake tract and cam overlap and lift. Volumetric efficiency and HP are the ultimate goal but can you go to big with the valve?

Thanks
    Mark
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
Re: Flow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:53:05 pm »
I have always been told to use the biggest valve possible until you start to lose velocity.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:32:45 pm »
How far are you going with mods? It all works as a package, cam, carb, bore & stroke, compression, and timing. If you are running a limited class you may want to leave stock valves in it and work on the ports [not to big]. Flatheads are all about flow and bigger does't mean better. You can really kill performance with to big. To big and it won't run good until you get up there in rpm's and with a limited build you won't get enough to benifit bigger valves.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »
No limited build here going all out. I've been reading lots and lots of ford flathead stuff and have learned a lot and have two good machine shops that can do anything I need. (With in my budget LOL)

I all so found this site http://www.hipermath.com/math_center/index  Looks like I'm going to have to sharpen my math skills some.

Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54:41 pm »
YUP! You are goimg to sharpen your math skills!!  LOL
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline rebelce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »
A lot of people get caught up in the "big-small" thing. What it boils down to, is quality of flow. A smooth, clean flowing port is what you are after. Turbulence causes a port to act smaller. Think in terms of gentile changes in directions. A toboggan run is what you're after in a flathead. Think in terms of inertia, what would happen if you dropped a marble down the intake ( OK, a marble small enough to fit through the valve lift). The valve lift is a part of your intake track as well!  The least amount of turbulence. How does the mixture pass through the valve and transition into the cylinder? Barney Navarro had it together back in the 40's.  Check out Ron Main's Flatfire. If a bigger valve can do this, cool, don't toss anything out without looking at the entire picture, twice!
Armond Orr

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »
Yes I do agree it's the whole package.  I've been reading lots and lots on the subject of port flow the last few weeks and have learned a lot. Now its time to put a flow bench together and do some more learning.
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

anything