Author Topic: custom cam  (Read 18126 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 01:15:32 pm »
Advantage is power to weight ratio...to a point...

A big block goes fast in a big car...put one in a pony car and it goes faster...

Stick one in an mini or economy car, and you loose handling, and traction characteristics and are worse for the wear...

Steve Bertrand lays it out pretty well in this article... http://www.mowerracer.com/article_read.asp?id=12
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 03:12:29 pm »
I get what you mean. I built an 84 mazda Rx7 with a 94 EFI 5.0 engine and 5 speed. It was almost too much!
So idealy... the little mid engine frames should stick with the highrapping singles, and i should put my heavily modified vanguard twin in my MTD Frame.

Now that doesnt make sence to me because those FX machines are making 20 or more horsepower, right? Whats the difference between 20hp outa a built flathead or 20hp outa a prettymuch stock vanguard twin?
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
custom cam
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 03:33:29 pm »
TORQUE which plants the ohv twins hp harder and more effieciently.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 03:52:34 pm »
so that 20 hp is coming on at a lower rpm?
Two engines of the same HP, one making it in a low rpm and the other making it in the higher rpm range. The high rpm range engine will make more torque at the same rpm level. This is a fact. This is why Indy cars run 10 to 15 thousand rpm.
I guess the fact of the matter is a single high rapping vanguard would be ideal to me, but i dont have the resourses to have all one off parts built, so a good solid twin is my best bet.
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 08:32:15 pm »
One horsepower is 550 foot pounds per second.

You can double the horsepower by either spinning the engine twice as fast at the same torque output, or you can double the torque at the same speed.

Indy cars zinging along 10,000 rpm make very little torque, but it's made a high speed so it can be multiplied in the gear box.    There is no substistute for cubic inches.  Correct, but a 1 liter engine spinning at 10,000 rpm is pumping just as much air, theoretically, as a 2 liter engine at 5,000 rpm.  The problem is getting a wide, usable, powerband with the smaller engines.

In the 1960's Honda made some very impressive racing motorcycles, spinning them upwards of 20,000 rpm or more.   The power band got so narrow they had to have a crap load of gears, as the powerband, aka, usable rpm range where torque was made, got very narrow.

Most of the time when I see someone refering to torque, what they are actually refering to is power available over a wide range of rpm.

Horsepower is nothing but a number derived from torque times RPM.

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 08:26:07 am »
So thats whats going on with the high performance singles then? My last mower was a prettymuch stock 16hp vanguard, and whooped up on the highly built singles, so ive seen the diference first hand!
You put an FX up against a 1st place BP (built vanguard and MTD chassi) and whos gonna take who?
No, I don't.

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 07:04:49 pm »
Who will take who?  That's easy, the guy that got the chassis right.

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 07:44:26 pm »
Nahhh...It's the guy that spent the most money... :lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
custom cam
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
Nope necassaryily not money but the guy that can drive, has a great chassis and engine that compliments it. Can have a serious twin but chassis or driver sucks and single would win but if the twin driver and chassis is working well the single will do well to keep it in  his cross hairs.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 08:47:02 am »
Kinda like the article by bertrand about how no matter what setup you run they are going to run pretty close lap times no matter what...
Im going to build my 14hp single vanguard on the huffy frame, and my 20hp v twin on my mtd chassi....
then learn to drive each one!
No, I don't.

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 04:35:03 pm »
Oh come on George, play a little.    LOL   We all know it's the guy who has all his crap together and can still PICK it up.

In other words, the best overall combination of handling, driving ability, engine, etc.   A touch of luck never hurt either, unless it was my kind of luck. Bad.

Dale, innocently hassling :P from Michigan
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 11:59:42 pm »
Agreed, and have built several singles that walked bandellero preped twins
mounted on mowers( they just dont last long turning them that hard ).
I then concentrated on maximizing torque through midrange.

Butcher.

anything