Author Topic: custom cam  (Read 18025 times)

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:42:56 am »
In a vanguard twin, what are the stock cam specs?
and from that what would be the ideal cam on an engine running high compression, the long rod, and a custom piston?

The reason i ask is my brother is a senior at SDSM&T and has access to the cnc and materials to build me a one off cam for this engine!
Hes in the mini baja progam, and its all he does all day is build stuff on the cnc.
Thanks! SEAN!
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:39:42 pm »
how 'performance' can a cam be when its a regrind? Dont you want either more lift or more duration, or the actual lobe timing diferent from the stock cam?

how do you get any of that by grinding more off of the cam?
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:00:21 pm »
By grinding off the back side and increasing tappet length.  The other method is to weld up the cam lobe, then grind it back down.

Just remember, two cams can have the identical specs, lift, duration, opening and closing times, yet be entirely differently cams based on opening speed, time at max lift, etc.

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 06:38:30 pm »
oh ok! Thats the kind of answers im looking for!
So with the vanguard regrinds, you have to put a little longer pushrod in it. ( a tappets in a flat head right? and the OHV have pushrods.)
No, I don't.

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 08:05:36 pm »
Yup, whatever you have to do to fill in the space.

If at all possible, I'd go with a welded up cam, it greatly simplyfies things.  No need to modify other components of the valve train.  Except maybe the springs to keep things under control.

Dale in Michigan
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline hoserrb

• View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 10:44:12 am »
there is very little room between the block and the tip of the lobe on these engines. when the lobe is in the open position, the lifter is almost right up to the lifter bore. if you weld up the cam, you will have to reliever this area somewhat.

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:00:47 pm »
really?
so does someone make a shorter pushrod in that case for the regrind cam?
No, I don't.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
custom cam
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 07:02:11 pm »
Call mike at Precision and tell him you want the same cam George has for his Vanguard. Drop in no modifiyng the push rods, set lash and hold on. Its a two time national championship cam.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:54:36 pm »
Ok, George!
I have concluded that i want a winning combo out of my 14 hp vanguard single cyl.
Im going to get it all  redone with the longer billet rod, billet flywheel im going to go all out and have the piston ceramic coated, and teflon the skirts, ceramic the exahast port, bigger valves in the head, port and polished,  vacumme pump, high performance cam etc...
What is a combo that works well together?
i dont want to just buy a bunch of parts and hope they compliment eachother!
im going up against a guy with a mtd and a big block vanguard thats eating nitro/alcohol prepped 11hp indian machines for lunch! I want to atleast keep up!
No, I don't.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:41:08 pm »
Well with the Vangaurd single everything is gonna be one off parts. The Vanguard single is a engine all by itself and parts don't interchange between it and the regular ohv motors. What combo are you refferring too. Sounds like you have it all figured out. If you think a single will keep up with a twin good luck don't bring a knife to a gun fight. You will get shot real quick.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:48:11 pm »
really? Becasue i have a 18hp twin vanguard also. I was strictly thinking of how bad fast the FX are with flatheads, i thought  i could get all that on the single vanguard!
screw it im building it with the twin then!
No, I don't.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 05:57:30 pm »
If you are running a really tight twisty track where the twins can;t get revved properly then the single may have a chance but a small one if its on a small fx type chassis and it handles VERY VERY well. It can carry more corner speed. BUT if you on a big oval or have long straights where the twin can really put the HP down it will walk a single off the corner any day. been there done that.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 06:20:51 pm »
awsome! now  how bout the big twin on an fx chassi? Would that be a best of both worlds kind of mower? Im going to put my built 18hp twin on that old mid engine chassi, and make the thing as light weight as possible.
No, I don't.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 07:11:27 pm »
I wiuldn't run a twin on a small fx chassis, but thats a personal preferance. I am partial to my MTD chassis's
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
custom cam
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 08:21:42 am »
what is the advantage if a mid engine chassie...if any?
I have an MTD and one of those mid engine  chassie.
No, I don't.