Author Topic: New "Turf Stock"  (Read 26973 times)

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
New "Turf Stock"
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »
This is the newest mower I am building to run at our track in arkansas.  The class is called "Turf Stock".  Its a really fun class because it is from what I have read kind of like a limited super mod.  So here are some pictures.  Its not completely finished but it's getting there.  Gotta clean up some lines on it to make it look smooth finish up some other details and paint it but this is what I have so far.

Derrick Nichols

Offline russell jennings

• Turf Warrior
  • like it says on my mini: ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!
    • View Profile
Re: New "Turf Stock"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:27:11 pm »
looks good man. i like the seat,can it go any lower??
Jersey Boyz Mower Racing
Garden State Racing Mower Assc.
#131 pro-x
#829 mini-pro
#44 mod-xr
#289 mini-pro

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:37:59 pm »
No I wish hahaha we have to run a transaxle no straight axles and it is literally as close to the top (bottom, its upside down) as it can get without sitting on it.  The transaxle can have gears removed but it has to be a fastory production transaxle with one forward gear and neutral so it has high and neutral only.  It works kinda like a sprint car you cant shift it in gear with it running or it will pretty much shatter because of sudden shock so we have a clutch.  mash the clutch put er in gear and take off haha

I posted these pictures again this way because I couldn't get them to link me to photo bucket. That way you guys could get a bigger view.  Sorry Its been a while since I posted picture I had to re-read the tutorial haha

Here is the frame just boxed out with tubing and the frame rails. (note the ugly welds and brackets at the rear of the frame were removed after the photo, they were on the rails when I got them.)  Now it has a cross brace to support the clutch and two cross braces and two foward braces in the front for motor and steering mounts.

The clutch and cross brace.  Sorry you cant see the front braces in the picture because of the dash.

I built both header tubes from the oppy to the collector the same length so there are some crazy bends and things that are going on so here are a couple of side shots of the headers so you can see how the clear the steering.  You cant see the bends that well.

The dash with all the gauges and switches in it.

Custom built gas tank.

Derrick Nichols

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:30 am »
Looks good. Isn't that John Deere rear fenders?
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:55 am »
Thank, yes they are.  They are John Deere frame rails too.
Derrick Nichols

Offline Darkviper

• Turf Warrior
  • Sponsored by vegascarts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:04 am »
Nice mower and thats cool class that your club has
Jonathon Kaup
Sponsored by vegascarts

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:49 pm »
nice mower and i like the dual carbs.. :woo:
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:27 am »
Thanks.  They run good too but I need some new ones those aren't the greatest.  The one on the left cylinder has some trash in it somewhere I just ain't found it or the pumps goin bad one cause it leans out on top end.
Derrick Nichols

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:11 am »
Test drove the mower for real for the first time on the track this weekend.  It drives amazing!  I took the dual carbs off and turned out that wasn't even my problem.  It starts poppin like it runs out of fuel when I set it up in turns.  Tried different carbs and some were better than others but still not right.  I'm going to turn them around so the main jet will be on the outside side of the carburetor.  Anyway mower drives great!  Ill post more pictures later.
Derrick Nichols

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:23:51 am »
Thanks!

No the heads on this motor are not fire grooved.

Yes I'm going to take more pictures when I take it apart to paint it.  I'm making the setup for new rear brakes right now.  I have a few more things to do then I'm going to paint.
Derrick Nichols

Offline Mowerstompin

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:41 pm »
Looks awesome bud, and I too can't wait to see more pictures of it. I guess I won't need pictures when I come down one day and race with you guys haha.
Cody Whisenhunt #83

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:15 pm »
haha yea no joke!  Yours is coming along good too, lookin good!  The more people we can get the better. 

Thanks guys its been a lot of work but its been worth it!!!  Still having carb issues tho I put another fuel pump on it because the stock one isn't filling the bowl up fast enough so I had one from my jr. dragster I stuck on it I just havent had time to try it on the track yet.  It runs out of fuel in the turns and the guy at ec told me to try anding the other fuel pump to it and try.  May not be the problem but it started doing it on my old mower too after we changed the tire rule and got faster so I think the fuel is going away from the jet.
Derrick Nichols

Offline Zippy 13N

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
Just thought I would give a little up date.  I haven't started on paint yet because I learned on my first mower to get everything right and then paint so I am still trying to get some things right and I still have some things to add and do welding on.  Like the nerf bars and things of that nature but it is still coming along pretty nice now that I got my carb issue worked out.  I got to make a good test run on it today with the carb running GREAT!!!  

I would have like to show you a picture of the test run. Sorry, but I had short sleeves on, and that is not allowed. If I do it again, I might get a vacation..... good thing, the COOL Moderator caught it this time.
Derrick Nichols

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 02:42:15 pm »
THATS A GREAT LOOKING RACER! What are the rules in that class? Looks like fun!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline NH Mowster

• Turf Warrior
  • Wabash Valley Mower Racers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
What kind of hood is that? I like the style of it  :P
Holland S8 Oppy powered ModX
FXT