Author Topic: ring gap  (Read 12018 times)

Offline racer21

• View Profile
ring gap
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »
how much ring gap do u normally run?when my briggs #797010 broke it
messed up the cylinder wall.the ring gap went from .004 to .010 and straight
across from that measurement it was .012.
im wanting to know if it will still run and be fast or do i need to look for another
block.

thanks
harold

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: ring gap
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:10 pm »
my last brigg single i ran .002-.0025 ring gap, yes, not much!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline westonedelbrock

• Turf Warrior
  • redneck racing all the way!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
.002 to .005

Offline Power Stroke

• View Profile
    • Powered By The Complex
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »
How about having properly sized piston to wall clearance, and let the ring gap fall where it is.
1+1=2
"You can do anything with enthusiasm. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alabis" - Henry Ford

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:01 pm »
Ummmmm. Because if the ring gap is too small the ring will break when it expands.

Rings need sized to the bore.  Just like the bore needs to be sized to the piston.
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Power Stroke

• View Profile
    • Powered By The Complex
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:43 pm »
The ring gap for a proper piston/ring set should not be to small after being machined to size. I'm not saying don't check but if anything it may be on the large side, and that  should not really matter if the maching was done properly.
If you are putting oversize rings on a piston, ok. but it shouldn't be needed.
"You can do anything with enthusiasm. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alabis" - Henry Ford

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »
proper size per the bore is generally .010 to .012 BUT we have us the racers found dropping that to .002 to .005 really helps in many ways. Argue what you will. its ok to be different and to disagree but in the end you have those who will do it and those who will not and ALL run good. GO FIGURE!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:46 pm »
Listen to what George said.I like to run .006-.007 skirt clearnce& aprox.003-.005 ring gap makes lots of power,but short lived..........
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline Power Stroke

• View Profile
    • Powered By The Complex
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:01 am »
Yeah that makes no sense at all. Run your piston loose and your rings tight. So maybe win a battle, loose the war? Great stratedgy I suppose if your eye is not on the big prize. Maybe you've got money burning a hole in your pocket but the guys I build for don't, and if done right the first time, one of these engines will easily run and win consistently in a race season without grenading. This reminds me of a racer that says he knows 900 ways to build a Holley. Only problem is, there is only one right way.
Don't reinvent the wheel.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:45:09 am »
The guys posting have been building flatheads for years and winning championships. As George said, there is more than one way to do it. I tend to agree with him based on our pulling engine background. We have had two different builders with two different theories on engine building. Both ran well, just different styles. And yes their theory included ring gaps you name it.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
Yeah that makes no sense at all. Run your piston loose and your rings tight. So maybe win a battle, loose the war? Great stratedgy I suppose if your eye is not on the big prize. Maybe you've got money burning a hole in your pocket but the guys I build for don't, and if done right the first time, one of these engines will easily run and win consistently in a race season without grenading. This reminds me of a racer that says he knows 900 ways to build a Holley. Only problem is, there is only one right way.
Don't reinvent the wheel.

When I drove the class we dominated, some of my motors still win Championships Nationally and win consistantly locally. They run all season and unless something is wrong never blow a drop of oil. Have run some two seasons even not of my doing but done so. I dont run loose pistons either. I have my own way of doing things. many do it also. Dont knock it unless you try it. My track record goes way back and NO my engine owners do not blow my horn as per my request. Many dont even run my stickers. But it works and works well. ALL my engines are done this way not just the Flatties. Go figure.
And I never said I run my pistons loose either you runa short skirt piston loose see what happens. I didnt reinvent the wheel I just make it faster.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Power Stroke

• View Profile