Author Topic: govenor tampering for 12 hp formula engine  (Read 12874 times)

Offline ryf

• View Profile
Re: govenor tampering for 12 hp formula engine
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 06:35:13 am »
right right.. what I mean is if your want to go faster, you'll want to stop better and the steering of a mower at high speeds is just dangerous... you have some reading to do... especially if this is a mowing mower.(IE not a purpose built racing/ATLM/yard toy)

read...

http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,572.0.html

and....

http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,835.0.html

the reason your getting less than alot of help is nobody here wants you to get hurt, I'm pretty new here myself, and have read ALOT of the posts through the search engine feature, the most preached thing on this board (as it should be) is safety.

Offline money89tractors

• Turf Warrior
  • Case 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:17 am »
thats correct, we want everyone to be as safe as possible. if you wanna go fast, you gotta be able to steer it perfectly and stop it perfectly.

-Phil
..."I used that motto to keep going, keep pushing, keep digging to
find a way around, or through to find a hole, some kind of break that
would allow some space. Once something broke thru, I could be there to
take advantage. Then I would finish 7th instead of 10th." - Dubba G

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 08:17:38 am »
Yeah, you're pretty much not going to get any help getting that thing to go faster until it's safer (ie: better steering & brakes)
All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 02:52:31 pm »
Personally,
I don't think removing the governor is that great of an idea. These engines already run pretty fast as they are. I think it'd be a lot more cost effective long term if you figured out the optimum gearing and pulley ratio before tampering with the governor. I 2nd the comment about throwing the rods on Tecumsehs especially. These things are infamous for doing so, and mostly because a lot of them use plastic oil slingers that will shear under too much stress.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

eddiehenjr

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 04:50:46 pm »
Have you taken off the mower deck and blades?  You GOTTA make sure you do that before the governor gets changed too.  Plus stock brakes, if their on a stock transaxle don't do jack - they'll barely stop a stock mower going 8mph yet alone a modified one going even faster. 

But those dern Tecumsehs!  My gocart's got a 10hp Tecumseh with a jack-shaft torque converter.  I opened up the governer a little and it pukes a CRAPLOAD of oil after I run it.  It's got good torque to it, but if it keeps pukin the oil, it won't for long!

eddiehenjr

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 04:53:39 pm »
And sometimes with governors, if you take their internal parts out of the engine they'll sieze up or throw rods and things cause on alot of the newer engines, the centrifugal governor mechanism doubles as an oil slinger... you get rid of that my friend, you are TOAST lol (and so is your motor)

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 05:00:33 pm »
I guess a good comparison would be if you were to put in headers, hi performance intakes, manifold, turbo, and then suddenly started racing at 100MPH, if you done nothing to the engine and left the stock rods, pistons, valves,radiator etc, how long do you think that car would last? Not long. same with an unmodified air-cooled engine with the governor removed.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Darren Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:21 pm »

thanks guys, i appreciate all the saftey concern. I have removed the deck and blades and i am aware of the dangers and hazards of this hoby. i've just finished my winter project of cleaning and tuning up my ohv12 and had to replace the valve cover gasket on it. there is no intention for racing it, to much $$ its just a cottage toy......I'd like to get some more speed out of it

eddiehenjr

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 05:21:18 pm »
The least you could get away with is a manifold and headers... the turbo's pushin it a little.  Stock engines aren't made for turning 8 grand.  When you push em clost to or past their limit... BOOM and sometimes OWWW lol... a guy at my mom's work almost died like that.  He was cutting brush with his mower.  Driving through it, a stick poked his carb and cranked open his governor, he paniced cause his tractor took off unexpectedly, he couldn't reach the key to turn it off (or see it) and the motor blew.  The rod broke off with half the piston, tore through the crank-case, and cut his ear off.  That's what happens when you turn a craftsman Tecumseh 6 grand and cant turn it off.  

eddiehenjr

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 05:25:26 pm »
You can get more speed out of your tractor without opening up the governor... still not a good idea without good equipment, but at least you wont have a flywheel or rod explode in your face lol.  At least wear helmet, gloves, long sleeves and things like that... Mr. Herrin could tell you more about that...

Offline Darren Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 05:33:30 pm »

I've been thinking about changing the pulleys but theres no clearance under the lawnmower and i cant get the damb pulley of the drive shaft

eddiehenjr

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 05:43:28 pm »
Woa it's shaft drive, or do you mean you can't get the pulley off the transaxle?

Offline Darren Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 05:45:05 pm »

No, no, the shaft that the pulley is on the engine

eddiehenjr

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 05:52:39 pm »
Oh that's the crankshaft man... you had me thinkin for sec there... come to think of it, I don't know of anyone using a shaft drive for racing... sounds like someone aughta try it...

But there should be a bolt going straight up through the crankshaft holdin it on and then a keyway (unless the pulley's keyed that is)

Offline Darren Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 02:11:58 am »

Hey Phil check out my lawnmower!!