Author Topic: Mowinmachine's build  (Read 67138 times)

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Mowinmachine's build
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 11:39:21 pm »
Dang that was fast! :lmfao:

Good choice, I stepped it up a few notches and bought one with the regulator for gas Pro Mig 140. That'll run you an extra $100 or so for the regulator and hoses, and it is needed if you want to try and weld any aluminum which I will probably try, but aluminum also requires an aluminum weld pack consisting of non-metallic feed tube and tips.

Not sure but it may be required for Stainless as well, and that I have to work on at work so it was planning ahead in multiple respects when I purchased.

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 06:50:34 am »
Looking good!.....Being that a Craftsman is my first build as well...I'm really growing to like them more and more !!!!

What is the story with your steering?

Yank that deck height adjustment 3' arm off of there too!
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 10:31:21 am »
Well, the story with the steering is that I'm still figuring out what to do. Yours is also an 86' too, so you probably noticed the thin sheetmetal surrounding the steering axle? Well, that stuff looks like it would break off as soon as I got around a corner. I noticed that the upper frame on this is the same thick gauge as the lower frame. So since it is nice and heavy, I was going to weld 2 or 3 cross members up there with holes cut out for the steering axle. I was also going to rig some sort of direct steering system up, but I haven't figured out how to do that the way I want it to yet. I might do that as an "improvement" down the line.
  Yup- I like these older Sears frames.Compared to newer mowers, the steel is simply a lot thicker, which is good for me because I haven't burned through much of it.

As far as the welder, well I went to harbor freight and saw that they had marked up the price of their wire welder to $189. I had all these gift cards to Home Depot from when I got married. Home depot had 2 lincolns- one that would weld 1/8" steel and the HD one that welds 1/4"/. So I bit the bullet and got the 1/4" one. I paid $50 out of pocket after the gift cards. It is a heck of a nice machine. That wire just feeds out of it as smooth as can be. Again- I thank you guys for steering my clear of those Chinese import ones. That would've been a headache.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:15 am »
I've been putting thought into my steering too. I'm getting rid of the stock gear setup for sure.
It keeps jumping teeth.
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 12:27:33 pm »
Hey Greg,
well when you start doing yours, post some pics or something so I can check out what you're doing. Are you going with the older Sears too? I think we just about have the same machine.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 10:21:21 am »
Well guys,
I actually wound up getting a nicer welder. I got a Lincoln Weldpac 100HD. It welds up to 1/4" steel, which is more than enough for a riding mower. All the steel I am using is 1/8" and 1/4". So far I've been very happy with it and it should last for years. You're right about having to stay out of tight corners because the tip will sometimes short. Anyhow, glad I followed your all's advice and got the better one.

You made a good choice! That's the same welder I have and I absolutely love it. I've recommended it to multiple people, and so far the ones that bought it love it. One thing I highly recommend though is to buy the 10lb spool!
All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline allen minaker

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • LawnMonkey Racing
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 10:35:10 am »
Could you put a bearing in the dash and one in the bottom of the frame to support the steering shaft , I understand that the bottom is a little weak but if you weld the bearing mounting plates to one side and use the other to remove the bearing it might make it a bit stronger.
Direct steering is the safest way to go in my opionion and it can be made to fit your driving style . ( Quick or not so quick ).
LAWNMONKEY RACING
   FX  236
Vice President WILMRA
www.WILMRA.com
http://lawnmonkeyracing.webs.com/

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 12:12:00 pm »
Thanks for the tips there allen. Ya, I've figured I might do something like this. Weld 2 supports across the whole top of the frame, install bearings in them, run the axle through it, and weld a plate to the bottom of the frame as you mentioned. I think I will have to get another axle because this one is too short to make it to the bottom.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:38 am »
Another weekend... another ton of stuff to do on the mower. To start with, I had learned last week that our chapter will require the use of the stock axle. Nothing aftermarket. We are allowed to reinforce them though. So that's what I decided to do. I also wanted to hack an inch off the bottom so that the rear tires will be close to the same height as the front.

As you can see from the pic after cutting an inch of the bottom of the axle, there is a good reason to reinforce this axle: it is split into 2 pieces. Greg ( sr71Mopar) showed some pics of some steel bearings welded to his axle. I liked that idea, but I went with some heavy extra-thick steel washers and welded them to the top and bottom of each side. While I was at it, I also welded the seams all the way around the axle. The axle itself is actually pretty thick, so unless I jump off a 20 foot cliff... they aren't breaking.

Next came the installation of the axle into the frame. I wanted to lower the front a bit again to help the rear be level with the front wheels, so I hacked the axle channel out, which was a lot of fun because I had welded it last week. After that, I welded the axle in which wasn't as easy as I would've thought because the gap was way to big. I got 2 pieces of 1/4" angle iron and welded these to the frame and axle, boxing it in. I then welded in the rest solid.
After the axle, it was onto the brakes and rear transaxle. I spent a lot off time researching a way in which I could easily drop the stock transaxle. Reason being: this style of tranny is cheap, widely available, and made by several different manufacturers in the same configuration. So if I blow this one, a new one can be installed in about 10 minutes. Everything comes off easily- the hubs, rotor, and so forth.

Here are a couple of pics of the hubs, rotor, etc. The rotor is a plain-jane cart rotor and the brake is also a simple mechanical cart brake.
Next I bolted the entire rear assembly onto the frame. I just shoved it under on a milk crate ( thank god for milk crates) and bolted it on. Pretty simple. Then I ran into a problem. The transaxle sits below the frame. Therefore the caliper mount was too far down to bolt to the frame. So my solution was to weld a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron onto the side that ddips below the frame enough to allow me to mount the caliper to it. It is a perfect fit and will be easy to get to. I was all ready to do this when I realized that the hardware store down the street was closed. That was the end of the weekend for me. Next up: the rest of the brakes and then onto steering.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 11:49:47 am »
Looks like its coming right along. You'll be racing in no time.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
Well... sorta. LOts of bugs to work out. How's yours coming along by the way?
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
I did mine sorta backwords. I mounted the front axle first, now I'm starting on the steering.
That should be pretty straight foreward. I have a nice Brembo master and caliper from a Husky dirtbike, and a sprocket for a rotor. I'm hoping to have it ready in 3 or 4 weeks.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 12:51:18 pm »
I'll probably be about the same as far as completing it. I can only work on it during weekends because I'm busy. I am also waiting for some parts to arrive. I was wondering- does that supply place you go to sell tires? If not, I'll order some tommorow. I was also wondering if once complete, can I bring the mower out to your shop and do some test runs as long as it ain't totally muddied up?
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 12:59:38 pm »
I've found a couple places to buy tires locally, the prices are way out of line. It seems to be alot cheaper to order them. I think G Team has a good price on turfmasters.
This is a great place to test the mowers out. Even if the track is muddy, theres about 100 acres of flat field. I was looking foreward to a little "competitive testing" before the real racing starts.

Offline crocco58

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 01:48:58 pm »
i think everyone is ready for that greg  :woo:
Team Preferred Charters #58
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing Association