Author Topic: Electrical system in a box...Feedback?  (Read 13354 times)

Offline reko

• View Profile
Electrical system in a box...Feedback?
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:17 am »
Hey Guys,

Been reading and enjoying for a brief while now. Thought I would put this out there to hopefully get some constructive feedback and advice. I'm sure many of you builders have a stand with all your needed electrical that stays with it, I needed something mobile that I can take to the engine. This is my first version, I could really use a couple more. Most of the components were things I had around from salvaging other pieces of equipment. Not a 100% done but you can get the idea. I just stuck to the basics and tried to keep this first one kinda simple, yet hopefully pretty universal. I'm thinking I'd like to add a little diagnostic and tuning components to the next version, but unsure which since space is a premium and so is keeping the cost down.

Your feedback or helpful tips and hints are greatly appreciated.

Need to finish triming for the throttle lever and make bracket along with finishing the lead set.

Ya know that yellow wire was just uncooperative from the beginning.

Lead set and throttle. Need to find a source or part numbers for those B&S connectors to make connecting easier.

I got a little lax on the wire control since I hastfully grabbed some stiffer stranded wire I had laying around to get started. It made tight bends and good wire control a pain, should have been more patient and got the right stuff.

Thanks for reading, reko

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical system in a box...Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:52:03 pm »
Can you tell us what it is for, we don't use laborate wiring sytems on our
race mowers, that looks ferrin' to us. LOL
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:04:21 am »
its his portable control panel for testing engines on the stand.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09:12 am »
Im lost
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:56 am »
its like have a motor setup on a stand or dyno in a room by itself he can connect this box walk away from motor however far the pig tail allows and he can start the motor and monitor it all from the box, rpm charging throttle etc. Rather cool idea kinda.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:01:49 am »
I c says the blind man I c
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline reko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:17 pm »
Sorry, should have explained more...George hit the nail on the head already, but here is my explaination anyway.

The box contains the basic electrical system of a tractor minus the safety and light circuits. It has a main disconnect switch, starter solenoid, start and stop buttons (in place of a keyed switch), switched and fused circuits for anti-after fire solenoid, charging system, and oil alert systems (so they can be turned off if the engine is not equiped). Also it has a voltmeter and tiny tach for monitoring purposes. A throttle lever to hook up and control engine rpm and/or governor. A couple of indicator lights to tell when a booster or battery are connected and to alert if it was hooked up backwards accidentally.

It is based off of what is needed to setup and run a newer 16HP Vanguard out of the box with an added oil pressure switch. This way there is no fussing around with grounding this and that and getting everything inbetween connected and it's not attached to a stand so I can take it wherever or store it away. If it's a race engine that doesn't have an anti-after fire solenoid, charging coil, or oil light you can just not hook them up and leave them switched off. Bottom line is I'll always have a know good starting circuit with me either at the shop or when I go mobile and I can store it away when not in use.

I'm thinking in another version I may add other things such as a pressure gauge for crankcase pressures or maybe an A/F gauge.

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:50 am »
Do you build electrical circuits also?
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline reko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »
Yes, the wires end up at the same place as they would on the tractor but I added some extra components. The stop switch not only kills the spark, but it also shuts down the entire box back to the main switch. I drew up a basic wiring diagram to keep myself organized and I can post a snap shot if you'd like.

Offline reko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:29:12 am »
Reko,

Excellent invention!

Page 14 of the Kohler Engine Accessories Catalog (Form No. E-1953-L) shows all the electrical terminals and connectors Kohler uses. It's not viewable online but if you'll email me with your email address, I can Attach a copy to my Reply.  I keep stock on many of these components -- very handy.
   On page 10 of this Kohler Catalog, it shows their Crankcase Vacuum/Pressure Gauge as well as some other testers you might be interested in.

And...at last year's Technical Update Seminar, Briggs & Stratton came out with Engine RePower Kit P/N 19615. It's a 32-section, 12" x 18" x 3" compartment-style box with 27 sections already containing electrical components -- terminals, connectors, insulators, etc.  Five sections are empty for your own special needs.  This 780-piece Kit sells for $125.00 (Special at the 2011-2012 Update only -- $75.00).  If your local dealer has one, you can get the part numbers and descriptions of all the electricals in it.  If not, I can take a digital picture of the contents and send that to you as well, if you'd like.

Thanks! Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'll send a message shortly.

Kinda got real busy with life, but I made it back to post a few shots of it actually done.

Finished panel with throttle lever installed, had to lose the knob for clearance with the handle.

Lugs for external power hook-up as needed plus cable staps to wrap it up neat.

Basic set of wire clamps and terminals for the briggs 16hp vanny.

Found some terminals from molex connectors for computer power supplies work for the briggs round pin terminals.

Tried it out a few times, works great. Going to make-up some clamps to add on to the ends of the pos and neg cables for the times I don't even want to disconnect the existing ones. Already started to collect a few items for version 2, bigger with more gauges.

Thanks for lookin! -- now off to do some spark plug research...

anything