Author Topic: Building a race track  (Read 13489 times)

Offline 48dodger

• View Profile
Building a race track
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
Not sure if this the right place to post this, but couldn't find a better place.
I've been building a race track for mower racing since 2008, out here in Northern California. But wasn't able to find like minded racers. So I left the track simple for my kids and I to race ATV's. A few months ago I contacted a LMR club called "The Sac Valley Mower Racers"....finally! Guys who race mowers. Seems most of them got started right as I quit looking...lol. So I've joined forces with Bob Newman, the club, and family to form "Estrada MotorSports Speedway, home track of the Sac Valley Mower Racers".... Its started, but far from finished. I have a facebook page for it if anyone wants to check it out there.

http://www.facebook.com/EstradaMotorSportsSpeedway?ref=tn_tnmn

I want the track to become sanctioned (USLMRA) and built as nice as possible. I've been racing for years....drag racing (68 Dodge), Street Stock (circle track 72 Charger), and Land Speed Racing at Bonneville Saltflats (1950 Dodge Truck). My brother owns A-1 Saw and Mower...he is sponsoring my son's build in BP class. I'm really looking forward to input and ideas from anyone who wants to share. 

The track is 800 feet centerline with a slight downhill on the front stretch and slight uphill leading into turn three. Turn three is a flat turn in comparison to the rest which causes turn 4 to be tight. The course is 30 plus feet wide through out. The dirt is loom with about 5% clay....stuff get  pretty hard when dry with plenty of dust. Should reshape well. A water truck is in the works. Reconstruction will begin after we do a few more test runs with the mowers.   

I am seriously open to your comments since I have not race a mower and/or built a mower specific track.

~Tim

"The Tim-MOW-nator"

http://www.youtube.com/user/EstradaMotorSports/videos

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sac-Valley-Mower-Racers/133992196624598

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Building a race track
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »
That thing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. I personally would shorten the straightaways a little bit. Or use thepath that is in front of the tent in the one video to give it a unique shape. Looks extremely promising! Wish I didn't live in indiana.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Ron Atchison/A.C.E. Race Engines

• Turf Warrior
  • A.C.E. race engines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:41 pm »
looks big for sure! one serious thing i would change would be removing the barbwire fence on the front stretch..man, could you imagine getting tangled-up in that!
home of A.C.E. the race engines
\"building winning race engines..one at a time\"
ronatchison@live.com  FB>Ace Racing and Performance.

Offline 48dodger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:07:42 am »
looks big for sure! one serious thing i would change would be removing the barbwire fence on the front stretch..man, could you imagine getting tangled-up in that!

Amen to that!.....barb wire is coming out in a few places. The stands/parking will be along the front strectch so no barbie will be needed. The back stretch will gets its barb fence moved further out. Its about 15 feet back right now. I also just moved in 150 bales to be placed after the regrading.

~Tim

The way it is now....

The plan....

A "photoshopped" image with the paint program......If you look at this image, you'll see an entrance and exit into the pit area.

~Tim

Offline russell jennings

• Turf Warrior
  • like it says on my mini: ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:44 am »
i would try to get your turns evened out,one is nice and the other is a little pointy.other than that it looks great.
Jersey Boyz Mower Racing
Garden State Racing Mower Assc.
#131 pro-x
#829 mini-pro
#44 mod-xr
#289 mini-pro

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:31:12 am »
If you want to see a pointy turn look up Bowles Farm's track on google earth.  Turn 2-3 there will make your knees shake, one of the nicest/most exciting tracks I have ever raced on! 

This track looks great, I love the layout.  It might be a little long for most people, but it sure would be fast with the right gearing.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:15 am »
Get rid of all barbed wire if you want to Be sanctioned by USLMRA!

Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »
I think the shape is fine, I like the 2 ends being different. I just think it's too long, I like shorter tracks and so do most engines.
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
Get rid of all barbed wire if you want to Be sanctioned by USLMRA!

Yep we're aware of that Rooster. The problem is that the field behind the track has cattle & they need the barbed wire. The front side doesn't have any livestock & will be for parking & grandstands so we can use USLMRA approved fencing there no problem. We're trying to figure out how to do the back side leaving the barbed wire without having to move it or the track. Probably have to put some more fencing inside the barbed wire but there isn't a lot of room.
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »
I think the shape is fine, I like the 2 ends being different. I just thing it's too long, I like shorter tracks and so do most engines.
:twothumbsup:

We're trying to figure out how to do the back side leaving the barbed wire without having to move it or the track. Probably have to put some more fencing inside the barbed wire but there isn't a lot of room.

Shrink the track, its too big, lol!

Seriously though, the barbed wire has to go! As well , leave room between the track and the fence and the grandstands and the fence.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »
IDEALLY YOU WANT 10FT BETWEEN TRACK AND FIRST FENCE, THE PERMANT STOP A MOWER FENCE. tHEN 15 TO 20 FT BEYOND THAT FENCE YOU CAN RUN YOUR ORANGE FENCE OR TEMPORARY FENCING TO KEEP SPECTATORS OF THE PRIMARY CATCH FENCE. IF YOU REDUCE THE SIZE OF YOUR SUPER SPEEDWAY YOU WILL HAVE THE NEEDED ROOM AND HAVE A MUCH BETTER TRACK THAT WOULD PROMOTE CLOSER RACING
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »
Cattle don't need the barb wire. You can replace that section of barb wire with regular field fence and then you are good to go. Just a tall enough field fence they can get their heads over it to smash it down reaching for grass. (that's where "grass is always greener on the other side" comes from). They can be belly deep in lush grass and they will still want to taste what's on the other side.

L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline 48dodger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:57 pm »
I agree LC. We have about 400 head of Black Angus, sometimes less. The 6 run, 4 point barb is being replaced with field fence, two runs of 2 point at the top and 20 feet back from the course. Bales will be placed as needed and a separate catch fence if that's what's needed. No spectators will be on that side of the course. NOW....if that's not good enough, I should know before I actually do the work. As far as the super speedway status..lol, I like it! BUT, I am putting a second set of turns on the pointy side for a "smaller" oval track. That should be about a 500 plus centerline. 

I appreciate all the comments, definately helps me think more like a LM racer. :D

~Tim   

Offline russell jennings

• Turf Warrior
  • like it says on my mini: ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »
just took a look on your facebook page,track looks great,just a little long. you could almost make a shorter turn at one end and have two tracks,one long and one short. i wish i were closer to you so i could come put in some laps on it!
Jersey Boyz Mower Racing
Garden State Racing Mower Assc.
#131 pro-x
#829 mini-pro
#44 mod-xr
#289 mini-pro

Offline Old Goat

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Juniata County Outlaws Mower Racing Club
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
What's the matter with everybody :confused: If you make your mowers so they handle, it's fun going fast! :wow: I think it's too short! Longer is better! The most fun I ever had racing mowers was on a couple of the 1/5 mile kart tracks we occasionally run on. :D
Jim Klauss
Boogity Boogity boys, let's go racin'
http://jcomrc.com/