Author Topic: F/X Rugg  (Read 19384 times)

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
F/X Rugg
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »
Even thou I can't run this mower at the national level I still wanted to build one.  I started with a rugg.  And I'm only using the hood and seat off the stock rugg.

This is how far I got so far.

Joe Blum
2014 F/X 8th USLMRA 1st WILMRA
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
Re: F/X Rugg
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:38 am »
Why would you not be able to use it at the national level?
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »
Well because I'm a rookie racer.  I really don't want race national in IMOW for a few years then go to F/X.  So basically I'm building this mower off USLMRA rules.  I will most likely run it locally.  But if I ever go to national race I will have to find someone to drive it there.
Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:49:45 pm »
You can run any class up to cp as a rookie.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »
I really like the F/X and A/P class.  That's the class I want to run.  If I did C/P or B/P or some class like that I would be lapped traffic.  I was was going to make the jump from local to national this past winter but I can't with the driving rule
Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline Big Mike

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
Pulled from LetsMow.com

Driver(s) should contact the Race Day Chief Steward, prior to an LC/AC or National event, and notify them if his/her intent to “test” for the desired class during their upcoming event.

Based on resources for that event, the Chief Steward would either allow or deny the request. Chief Stewards have a lot on their plate on race day, if they can get time and resources scheduled to do a test for a racer they will be urged to do so, but not required.

Once a request to test is granted, the driver will present him/herself (and the machine on which to be tested) to the Race Day Chief Steward before registration, this serves a reminder to the Chief Steward to corral at least 3 other drivers in that class to help with the test, and gives the Chief Steward an opportunity to size up the driver.

Testing will take place at a time selected by the Race Day Chief Steward contingent upon factors including Race Day schedule, track conditions, weather, etc.  Note, Testing may take place before Tech and Registration opens on Race Day morning or may be necessary the evening before Race Day.   The racer may take hot laps alone, with other drivers or in a racing configuration at the discretion of the Race Day Chief Steward.

Part #1 – The driver will be observed for no less than 3 laps under green flag alone.
Observers may be the Chief Steward and at least 3 other drivers from the class being tested into. This step in the process is to ensure that the racer has a firm grasp of the basics of lawn mower racing and that driver and machine are safe to be on the track at no risk to anyone else.
Part #2 – If the observation staff (majority) vote to allow, the testing racer will make no less than 3 more laps on track with the 3 drivers mentioned above.
This step of the process is to ensure that the racer has the ability to control his demeanor and machine under simulated race conditions.
Part #3 – If the observation staff (majority) vote to allow, the testing racer can compete in that class immediately.
Part #4 – Notification of test results will be sent to USLMRA office following the event.
If the testing racer passes all parts of testing he/she will immediately possess a class license for the first year (or a predetermined number of races). If there are no incidents during the first or if a Probationary Period is instituted, the license may become permanent after that first year.
Other Considerations

Racers may only test once per event.
Racers must provide mower for testing (of appropriate class).
Racers may only test for a class they have a class legal machine for (i.e. you cannot test for FX on a BP)
All racers having competed in the 2011 Season will be issued licenses based on those classes said racer competed in during the 2011 season.
USLMRA believes that if we use the Licensing Program in this way, we can give those racers that want it, an opportunity to race at higher levels, in a safe and controlled manor.

We also believe that the vast majority of racers in this situation will abide by the decision of the Testing Board.
2013 ARMA National Points Series Southeast Region 3rd place Super Stock
2015 FXT Champion Local

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:50:21 pm »
How long and what class have you been running locally?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:01 pm »
This whole time I don't want to call any one out you guys are a lot better than me.  Its lame that you join any class your rookie season.  That's the only rule I really dislike.  There's two other guys I know said they won't go to national level because of this rule.  Its basically starting over again.  
The chassis is 43.5" long 13" wide.  And roughly 38" wheel base.  The local high school has races but any engine you need a billet flywheel put on then.  But any mower type just no cent. Clutch with 16hp or less.  Then the local fair has races to with almost the same rules just I think the mod class you can have 18hp or less
Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:25:53 pm »
Whats "lame", is blasting a rule simply because you do not understand it.
What is even more "lame" is not going to do something you enjoy because instead of getting good answers you simply mis-interpret something your self then go about spread mis-information.
"Not to call anyone out but...." When you call our rulebook "lame", that is exactly what you are doing!

The USLMRA does not make up rules for no reason.

If you read Big Mikes post, or asked a question instead of mis-quoting a rule book, you'd have known that there are ways to compete in F/X your rookie season. Chris Cox almost won a National Title in FX last year....His Rookie season.

If you cannot drive a C/P or B/P well enough to keep from being Lapped traffic...you do not belong on an F/X!

So , now that the name calling and that useless junk is out of our way...maybe we can have an adult discussion about the matter...

As Big Mike Posted, as long as you are willing to test for the class you are welcome to come try your hand at racing Nationally. The rules are not meant to exclude good drivers, but rather to keep drivers that may not realize the amount of skill it takes to drive a Pro Class machine from putting the rest of the field at risk.

Your build is looking good, I think the double ladder frame rails is a bit of over kill and weighty, but it looks like you have some good fab skills. I would also suggest a longer wheel base, I drove an F/X that was built "square"....and it was squirrely as all get out!

I look forward to seeing the rest of the build, and seeing you and your mower at The Races!
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:35 pm »
Sorry I thinking something else.  I've done the high school races for 5 years and the fair 2 times.  I've ran a toro 500 the past 3 years. Its like a A/P but also like F/X.  It ran in the mod class.  
Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »
The Toro 500 are neat little mowchines!
If you have been driving it that long, you should be more than apt for National races.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:33 pm »
If I still had it I would run it.  The only thing I don't think USLMRA would the mikuni carb on pass tech but it can be easy switched.
Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline amr5080

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:53 pm »
In fx you can run it
Aaron Rupert
Rupert Racing
Pro-x #14
Burris Racing Tires
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."
Lord Amherst

Offline GunSlinginJoe13

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:25 am »
I got the gas tank mounted last night.  So many angle cuts there are in this chassis and every thing is times 2.  If you all where wondering the bottom piece of the chassis is 3/16 x 1.25" x 1.25".  The top of the ladder bars,seat mount, and gas tank mounts are 1/8 x 1.25" x 1.25".  The cross pieces the connect the ladder bars is 1/16 x 3/4" x 3/4".

Another angle of the tank.  I put the tank low so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the hood.  If I had a spare hood I might cut a then.

Joe Blum
2014 A/P 2nd WILMRA

Team
Chris Foreman #7ATE9
Matt Hrupka #0.07

Offline Ron Atchison/A.C.E. Race Engines

• Turf Warrior
  • A.C.E. race engines
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:18 pm »
Joe,
     looks good but, just keep a conscious thought of weight when adding all that tubing.  >> heavier=slower!
home of A.C.E. the race engines
\"building winning race engines..one at a time\"
ronatchison@live.com  FB>Ace Racing and Performance.