Author Topic: front channel question ( bracing)  (Read 3170 times)

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
front channel question ( bracing)
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »
I got the mower tore down and cleaned. Getting ready to start putting the bracing in there after I grind everything flush and get it ready for welding. What about this front U channel for the front beam? It's bolted to the frame ( which I was going to weld up) and I would need to clearance that bracket near the bottom to fit the 3/4" tubing through there. Is this going to be strong enough? I circled in red the area that will need clearanced. I was going to weld the beam inside this U channel and then weld it to the frame on either side. Just wanted to check before I start grinding and welding stuff.

Tim

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
Re: front channel question ( bracing)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:39 pm »
nevermind....I ground it off but that U channel has 2 cracks in it. You can see one in the picture in the corner up and to the left of that top bolt. There's one of those on each side.
Tim

Offline Termownator

• Geek Squad Playboy
  • Turf Warrior
  • MOW FAST MOW BETTA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:58 am »
yeah thats a common place for those frames to crack.  After you get that thing braced up you will essentially have a frame inside a frame so that part shouldnt be anything to worry about.  Weld it up and your good!
Cody Callantine.
#66X BP
'The Termownator'

Offline 0rion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:14:26 am »
wonder if I could just weld that crack up and then weld pieces of angle iron down that corner right there to fortify it.....that's kinda what I was thinking about doing. I'll look at it again tomorrow. Gotta take a break tomorrow and work on my truck. I have a caliper pin froze up I believe.
Tim

Offline Termownator

• Geek Squad Playboy
  • Turf Warrior
  • MOW FAST MOW BETTA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:18:45 am »
used to have a dodge truck that was notorious for that...  :bash:
Cody Callantine.
#66X BP
'The Termownator'