Author Topic: Any mower racing in California?  (Read 136363 times)

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Any mower racing in California?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 05:11:33 pm »
Well... I am going to go look at a Sears riding mower. The guys selling it doesn't know anything about it other than it doesn't run. Wants $50. We'll see what a Beaut' this one is. I have to get a mower first if I am going to be seriously invested in this. I hear ya on joining up with USLMRA. They have all this stuff figured out so I guess a waiver would be a bad idea.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 06:18:33 pm »
Good luck dude  :D

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 06:40:51 pm »
Well... I am going to go look at a Sears riding mower. The guys selling it doesn't know anything about it other than it doesn't run. Wants $50. We'll see what a Beaut' this one is. I have to get a mower first if I am going to be seriously invested in this. I hear ya on joining up with USLMRA. They have all this stuff figured out so I guess a waiver would be a bad idea.

Went down that waiver road as head of the local rodeo club. We sought opinion of legal counsel on our waiver, and we were told that NO waiver relieves the organization of all liability, that it was imperative we seek insurance to cover the club.

Same holds true for any event you host, especially those where a certain element of risk is involved. It is still a good idea to have them sign one, as it does provide your legal counsel grounds for argument in any claim against the organization, but it is not going to protect you, nor any venue that you may put a race on for. Insurance is a must!!

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 10:16:01 pm »
 After 3 races,2 classes, better than 20 ready to race mowers. I let our rodeo committee deal with insurance and other legal stuff.
  Hey MOWINMACHINE, I have an mtd if you want it, but you have to come get it. It's a running 12hp, driving mower!
                                         Thanks KEVIN
Kevin Pierachini

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 11:06:33 am »
Hi there Chini,
Where abouts are you located?Maybe we can send emails back and forth or something. I don't mind driving out on a weekend. Probably be after X-mas and all that stuff. I appreciate the offer!
  By the way, I never heard back from the dude who had the Sears. Also- my boss said he might be interested in joining too, so we might be able to get  5-6 people initially.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 12:06:21 pm »
You're off to a good start!

Get a mower or two built and get some exposure, it'll take off!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 12:22:55 pm »
Hope so. I think if enough locals here in cali knew about this, it'd be a big thing. I'm pretty good friends with a local hotrod shop. I might be able to get some sponsorship with them, maybe set up a display during their next car show.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 12:46:58 pm »
Excellent idea!!

It's all about exposure; you show it to enough people and get the word out there, you'll find interest! You might find a reporter for the local paper or TV station at the car show, if you do get in his face with the mower scene. If you got a cute kid, have him get in his face with dad's mower. Kids have a way with reporters! They look great on the news!! Learned that one hard way, back when my oldest boy was 6 he chose a TV Reporter out of 500 people to talk to at a fishing tournament we were in... We were on the news that night! :omg:

Tell him it's the fastest growing motor sport globally, right off the bat, so he takes notice. Might get a follow up article on the mower scene out of that contact, which would help getting it off the ground. I don't need to tell you how important that website is in this day and age, find a catchy domain name, one that's easy to remember, and get it up for reference in all news contact.

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 09:05:56 pm »
   MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
    MOWINMACHINE, I am about 2-3 hours north of SAN FRANCISCO, just north of UKIAH, out hwy. 20. My phone # is 707-743-2359. Call me if you are interested.if we are lucky, maybe I could meet you at SR71MOPAR'S house to look at his track. (hint  hint SR71MOPAR)We could also discuss rules and other stuff.
     I have an in at the local rag (I just rebuilt her mower engine)
Kevin Pierachini

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »
I'm back. Been on the road lately. How does the Saturday,6th of January sound?
We could meet at the shop (where the track is) around noon maybe, and kick this idea around.
If its not raining, I'll fire up the barbeque.
Greg
707-327-6962
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2006, 09:55:44 pm »
  I'm game for that, if mowinmachine is.Lets see if he is available.
        KEVIN
Kevin Pierachini

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2006, 11:42:42 am »
Hey guess what guys,I got myself a big ole' mower this weekend. I got a rather large Sears Craftsman II 5 speed tractor with an 18HP Briggs opposable head engine. It kind of looks like it has been through WW2, but believe it or not runs great and seems to have been taken good care of...mechanically. It is really simple and easy to work on and I think changing out the pulleys will be super easy too. There's a stacked pulley up front and a 7" one in the back.  I'll just swap out the back with a 3 or 4" one and see what she'll do.[riding_mower_front.jpg][/img]

Anyhow, since I've got a machine, I'm more serious about actually doing this. Sorry, I was gone on a trip for the last 3 days. I was looking on the USLMRA web site, and it seems that we might have to notify them about starting a chapter if we were to do this?
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2006, 11:43:48 am »
here's a 2nd picture of it.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2006, 02:23:10 pm »
Hey thats great.
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 08:04:18 pm »
    Hey MOWINMACHINE,Any chance you could meet me in SANTA ROSA at SR71MOPAR's house?  KEVIN
Kevin Pierachini

anything