Author Topic: Any mower racing in California?  (Read 136348 times)

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Any mower racing in California?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 05:54:29 pm »
Now we got 3 of you... but there are more here!

Local paper is cool as well. On the website www.bluehost.com is <$8/month for everything! That'll get you webhosting, domain name, and your own message board, for $94 a year. If you go 2 years on that it drops to <$7/month. They have online design tools as well, so if you don't have the software to build the site, you can build it there. Since it is paid server, you don't have any adds to contend with, and you can pick your own Domain Name, not... www.geocities.your_name.yahoo.com/something/whatever

Get after the site first, then get after the advertising, get your mower built in the meantime so those interested have something to look at. You may want to see what kind of interest is there first, others might prefer road course racing to drags. You may want to go a different direction, or even multiple directions.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 06:14:59 pm »
The good thing is that I make web sites for a living, so that part will be easy. I can definantly do the marketing and stuff. I guess I also worry about insurance and stuff. I don't have a lot of dough to pay off someone who gets hurt out there. might have to get a lawyer or someone to make a disclaimer or something.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:17 pm »
Hey mowinmachine, now's our chance to start a club or something. I still have 2 more craftmans for parts. Frames and all. Even got a decent OVXL125 for you to get started with. My Kohler is mine. There is a guy in Petaluma with a mower junkyard, and a junk pile in Sebastopol with a ton of stuff. They even have a couple Cub Cadets in the pile.
Peerless 700's are kinda hard to find around here. I still run a Foote transaxle.
The best part is, I have a ready to go track to get started. We just opened it up so its about a tenth/mile.
Right now we use it for karts, but I like my mower better.(mowbetter?)
I agree about the waiver thing. Just like bracket racing. Dont sign it=dont race. I think a few basic safety rules will really cut down on the problems anyway. How does NBLMRA sound? NCLMRA is already taken by N. Carolina.
How about RELMRA. Redwood Empire Lawn Mower Racing Associaton.

Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 09:12:39 pm »
The good thing is that I make web sites for a living, so that part will be easy. I can definantly do the marketing and stuff. I guess I also worry about insurance and stuff. I don't have a lot of dough to pay off someone who gets hurt out there. might have to get a lawyer or someone to make a disclaimer or something.

That's why you need to look at sanctioning through an existing organizational body. The USLMRA, ARMA, NDRLMA, and others all provide insurance to their local chapters. Coverage up to $2,000,000 in fact and the cost to you (the local club) is very reasonable. And, as the sport grows, it is becoming more and more affordable as well, because mower racers do preach a lot of safety and we really don't have a great many claims turned in.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:24 am »
Hey Mopar,
Well I'm still looking around at some riding mowers. There's a few on craigslist for 100-300 bucks. Some of them are pretty nice machines. Anyhow, someone got back to me and said that there are no official racing chapters in Cali, so if there is to be one, then we would have to start it. Again- not sure how many people would be into it, but I suppose at least building something to start with would be worth while. I'm going to have to do some research and paperwork to see how practical this might be. Basically, I just want to build a racing mower but have no place to actually drive it since I live in a neighborhood with postage stamp sized yards. We'll see... can't really do anything until after the holidays anyway.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
I wont be doing much until after the holidays myself. 

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 11:38:33 pm »

This is our track. Tri-oval, banked corners. We are working on widening it to the outside by about 10' all the way around.

This is my beast. I have enough parts to build at least one more just like it. Right now its set up for plow tractor mode. (Couldnt do the track without it) I have a 3 1/2" pulley on the front and a 8 1/2" in the rear. Its a foote transaxle, but I went through it (50/50 moly grease and gear oil). Foote 4360 and Peerless 930's share alot of parts. Its pretty tight and I keep the input speed down.
I've got nearly all the slop out of the steering, and I run 8"s all the way around.
I ran a 6" pulley on the front for a few days and decided to put the small one back on till I lowered the mower a few inches.
Dont let the 12.5 HP stickers fool you. I transplanted a CV15 with a few well chosen mods. Strong engine.
I think after the holidays, I'm gonna buy a brand new 700. Am I correct in thinking that I want a 700-039?
Ignore the dates in the pics. I took them today.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 11:47:32 pm »
Nice looking track.

:D Thanks Birdie... fixed it for him!  Rocky
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"