Author Topic: Kohler power  (Read 4794 times)

Offline TomL

• Mr. Modest
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Kohler power
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »
What would it take to get a CV18 into the 40ish hp range?

Tom
Tom Lavalette
Ask me about the PA MiniPro Racing Mowers
toms580@yahoo.com
Columbia, PA

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Kohler power
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »
Hey Tom, the fine folks on this site would like to help, but they didn't understand, you wanted
to know what parts with documentation it takes to get to 40ish HP.  :bash: :D :D
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
Pistons and rods. Clean the ports up.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »
I will chime in and you can take it to the bank. End result will be more than you need and be reliable stump puller and still rev 8k plus. Stock bore je pistons with long rods, or Zach Kerbers rod and piston kit. Aluminum flywheel, stock mildly ported heads. Just clean up the casting flash. Two barrel carb and intake from a 30hp. A very mild flat tappet cam. A Hackman 275/256 is a stout midrange cam. Get his valve springs as well. Use Super cubs adjustable rocker kit. Have some standard small chevy push tubes made stock length with the correct size ends. Solid lifters with the end oiler hole in them. Vogel makes a real good midrange cam as well. The parts I listed will be 100 percent bolt together. No machine work needed except for fitment of piston to bore and port cleanup. Valve work if you want but it's not needed. That combo will make 40plus hp.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline TomL

• Mr. Modest
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:54:25 am »
Thanks.

Got me thinkin now...

Tom
Tom Lavalette
Ask me about the PA MiniPro Racing Mowers
toms580@yahoo.com
Columbia, PA

Offline Ron Atchison/A.C.E. Race Engines

• Turf Warrior
  • A.C.E. race engines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »
I will chime in and you can take it to the bank. End result will be more than you need and be reliable stump puller and still rev 8k plus. Stock bore je pistons with long rods, or Zach Kerbers rod and piston kit. Aluminum flywheel, stock mildly ported heads. Just clean up the casting flash. Two barrel carb and intake from a 30hp. A very mild flat tappet cam. A Hackman 275/256 is a stout midrange cam. Get his valve springs as well. Use Super cubs adjustable rocker kit. Have some standard small chevy push tubes made stock length with the correct size ends. Solid lifters with the end oiler hole in them. Vogel makes a real good midrange cam as well. The parts I listed will be 100 percent bolt together. No machine work needed except for fitment of piston to bore and port cleanup. Valve work if you want but it's not needed. That combo will make 40plus hp.

This is a joke right?
....and you left out one of, or prolly the top builder/supplier for the kohler and that would be Lakota. Racing.
home of A.C.E. the race engines
\"building winning race engines..one at a time\"
ronatchison@live.com  FB>Ace Racing and Performance.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »
Nope. He's correct. Again with a dyno and people specializing in these motors its possible.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »
Its no Joke Ron. From my experience building engines around here and what we pull against. I know what it takes to pull a certain gear on our pulling tracks. I know based on comparisons against people that have bought engines from builders. I've seen there dyno sheets and I know what gear they can run and If my engines can run the same gear and pull side by side and beat them then I can tell you my engines are making similar hp. Call Julian at super cub give him that combo and ask him what it will make for hp. I was told more than 40hp but we all know what throwing hp numbers around on the web sight does. When I built my first twin I called Julian. I asked him about an engine combo that would be easy on parts, bolt together and make good hp. He told me that above. Said it would make more then 40hp. Its been duplicated at his shop many times. Never fails. And to top it off pulls the same gear and more as the performance vtwins 38cid engines we use to pull against that made 40 plus hp.

I forgot about lakota because I never buy parts from them. I by stuff from kerber and julian.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

anything