Author Topic: Sami's S/S  (Read 277085 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« on: December 04, 2005, 09:08:35 pm »
I showed a few pics of my 13 yr. old "Daughter's" S/S or J/P  project in my A/P build up thread...

She was hanging around asking questions about my build up and I asked her if she would be interested in building and racing one of her own...

She showed a "spark" of interest so I pulled a back up frame in and put her to work on it..

Bolting and torching, she pretty much "stripped the Mowchine in prep for cleaning...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 09:20:02 pm »
She got it down to the bare chassis and I showed her where to punch holes to lower the rear...then we took it to the car wash and degreased the sub frames..

I had these pics in the AP thread as a "side note" but her interest and involvement continues, so I'm starting a second "Build up" Thread with her Mowchine...

As the S/S or J/P class is basicly the same frame build as the S/P (just gearing and motor difference) I thought these may be of interest to others as well...

We' are going to build this mowchine with the lowest possible dollar investment, so don't look for chrome wheels and fancy parts...most every thing on this will be low buck or transfered from other machines..

Biggest being the use of stock steel wheels and tires...

The build principals are the same though, and feel free to substitute machined, aluminum and high dollar parts where ever you feel needed for durabilty and performance...

Heres a quick shot of the "rolling" Chasis...

And of course a "Junior Racer" practicing her driving style...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:27:05 pm »
As Sami has been excited about the project all thru to this point, it looks like we'll be taking this one to compleation...And another racer will join our ranks...

So at this point, I'll go back and take some "detail" shots of the build up, parts and peices for those that are interested...

Remember, other than some of the welding, a 13 year old girl did all the work on this Mowchine...Dad just pointed out the correct tools to use and gave "pointers" on what, where and how to do it...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowmanscott

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grasscarmowersports.com
Sami's S/S
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 05:36:31 am »
Nice job Sami !!! Hats off to you. My kids think i'm nut's stict with your dad and have fun and most important beat the boys. I do have hope for my 3 year old grandaugher.  scott

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Sami's S/S
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:46:06 pm »
Looks like the guys are in trouble out there! She has that lean an hongry look of a dedicated and very serious racer!!   :D

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Sami's S/S
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 07:08:14 am »
Now hats a project that just makes a daddy's heart race!!! Good job Sami on your racer and Squidd for being a real Dad.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 08:12:18 pm »
Great work sami,keep it up. Squid, Keeping my kids interested turns out  to be the easy part.My 7 year old is my biggest fan,And my 16 year old is my "CREW CHIEF" I'd love to put him on my IMOW this year,But unfortionatitly the track we've been racing won't allow him to race under 18 years old , For that reason alone me and the neighbor(whom I race with) are looking into another track for next summer .Its not as nice, but they will let the boys race!! everyones afraid of being sued now days. :cry:

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 11:17:41 pm »
Tory is your club/track a USLMRA sanctioned event...? You mentioned IMOW...

If so you (16-17 yr olds) should be covered under national insurance regs..??(with parental consent forms filled and on file.)

If not, and your following US rules anyway...maybe talk the club (board) into joining...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 04:32:23 pm »
Squid, Unfortionatly are track is not uslmra sanctioned,however we do use your rules as are guide lines.Weve dicussed it the last couple years,and are willing to sign any releases nessesary but they dont want to budge.As members of the club we do all pay a substantial membership fee to cover liabilty insurance,and could use the extra members to help out.I cant say I dont understand cuz I do.We live in a sue happy world where the actons off a few ruin it for the rest of us that just want to have fun at knowone else'e expense,but people sue at anyage. Its just to bad that such a nicely built well maintaned track may not open next year do to lack of members over this subject.(theres been other issues like everywhere else,but this one is a $1,500.00 differance in dues.) The good side however (if there is one) is there is another track to race at.Its not as nice and it means starting over on gearing on my SP (differant size and shape track) and I think there IMOW rules will change a bit. So we're not throwing in the towel yet.At least one more year before i youse the forsale section. Tory

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 07:39:56 pm »
So we've been working out in the shop again with the warmer weather...

Sami cut the mower deck sections and I welded them on...needed to "discretely" move the fenders to clear the wheels, but it's starting to look like something now...

We put the deck flush with the running boards to give a bit more foot room...

Underneath, we set the stock disk brake in it's raised position, this particular set up uses the chain sprocket as the brake disc...a couple new metalic pads cut to fit and they should be solid...

We also added a center brace to the axel...Trying to stay in the "low buck arena" I converted the stock "diff" to a straight 3/4" hardened splined axel.

Going 3/4" allows us to stay with the stock steel tires and wheels (rather than getting hubs and matcing rims for a 1" axel..as well as use the stock 3/4" bearings and hangers...

I know 3/4" is light duty...but then so is Sami... :wink:

If it bends, it's a $24 axel replacement...if it becomes a problem, we'll look into 1" axel/hubs/rims/bearing/etc...

Edit:Add Pic

I thought this would be harder than it was...Pulled spyder gears out cut a slot for the Key and tapped an allen screw in to hold it...

Instant gear hub... fits 3/4" axel and  we can stay with all stock parts/tires/rims/bearings etc...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 07:43:50 pm »
And of course she was "eyeing" my diamond plate chain guard....

So...What's a Racer without a little "Bling"... :lol:

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 07:18:12 pm »
Well now, :P: if that square box of metal under the front of the fender is "discreet" :wink: I put one heck of a lot of time and bondo into ours for the practice!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol: :lol:

Well regardless, I've rather enjoyed the challenge of doing something like this that I've never done before.

Lookin GOOD Squidd!!!!!!!

Dale, in Michigan
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 07:52:37 pm »
Yeah, that was a late/last minute addition...more I look at it, less I like it too...

Look for something new in the next installment ... :wink:

That's what I like about building "on the board"...(or bringing fellow racers to the shop)...you can get a couple different views an observations...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 09:29:39 pm »
And then you can build like I do.  You don't want to show too many people ahead of time!

Like today.

I got most of the steering linkages and brackets welded up, tackwelded in place.  Hmmmmm, something doesn't look right.   So I flip it rightside up and set an engine on it.

DUH!!!!!!!

The linkage is SUPPOSED to be on the left.  It's on the right.  And hits the crank.

Crap.   Grind that out and start over.   LOL

Dale, can't tell left from right, in Michigan
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Sami's S/S
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 09:57:04 pm »
Crap. Grind that out and start over. LOL

We do it "nice"...cause we do it "twice"... :lol:

Try to think of them as "experienced" parts... 8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A