Author Topic: JD 110 Puller build  (Read 11529 times)

Offline mycat8urskidoo

• View Profile
JD 110 Puller build
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:07 pm »
Well i Kind of stumbled upon this hobby or sport or money pit, whatever you call it on accident.  A buddy of mine called me up one day knowing i weld and asked me to weld some wheelie bars on his buddies mower for a pull, next thing you know my buddy had one of his own, and we made up an adjustable draw bar and adjustable wheelie bar for his tractor, and sure enough next thing you know, I've got one of my own, I'm not sure if it was the amount of beer it took to build the other two, or the amount of beer we drank pulling and hanging out at the pulls or the fact that i cant watch a buddy have a good time and not want to do it as well,  but regardless, last week I picked up a John deere 110 (years unknown yet) , its got a non running  K181 Kohler.  I've already got the motor out and in teardown process for a rebuild.  Anyway just joined this site recently looking for tips on both pulling and making a tractor fast (picked up a yardmachines 12.5 for free that i plan on making fast for no reason but to beat the heck out of it) .   But I've got a few questions on the 110 deere.  I've read of alot of people putting sbc pistons and other stuff in kohler motors, is there any of this going on in the 8 horses? I'm assuming not because of its size, but thought i'd ask, I'm also looking for a good design on a Foot throttle, and looking for any more tips on making the motor scream. I'm pretty set on my wheelie bar and drawbar design, but definatly open for insight on weight and where to put it.    We dont have a sanctioned pull setup around here, but theres a pretty good group of say 35 to 40 guys around here that pull and as for rules they are pretty leniant, I'd like to build this thing so i can pull in the 8, 10 and 12 horse classes as our 8 horse class is pretty slim .  Any ideas , suggestions, or whatever would be greatly appreciated, I plan on posting pictures up in the next couple days of what i've got and will post pics throughout the build.
thanks

Offline mycat8urskidoo

• View Profile
Re: JD 110 Puller build
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
447 views and not a single reply??? anyway, got the 110 up and running, havent made any modifications as far as pulling goes, but it is setup to plow snow right now.  Middle of january and hasnt been used yet, worst part is that it is sitting right next to the snowmobiles.

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »
You would be better off restoring the 110 and keeping it and finding a Cub Cadet for pulling.  IF you gt the serial number off the 110 and go to www.weekendfreedommachines.com you can find the year it was made. I have 3 110's and a 112 Sunset Orange Patio tractor.  It is anywhere between a 1964 and a 1974.  If it has a pan seat and round fenders KEEP IT and restore it. If it is a fenderdeck model it's still good just not as collectable unless it has like a rear hitch or hydraulic lift.   Don't know if this helps your decision any but I use my 1971 to plowmy driveway and I also have a snowblower for it.   Either way, Good Luck!!
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »
This is the shell fender we had awhile ago. Its since been sold. They work very well. It was a stock altered 14hp kohler. 200 series trans with the variator removed. Running a single belt. It would and did beat any cub it pulled against in the class. Won points champ and was always up front.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »
Thats SHARP Dennis
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:19 pm »
Thanks Tommy.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:43:36 pm »
Now that's SWEET looking!  I'm more into restoring the old round fender pan seat 110's and 12's. But I'm not against using them. Around here it seems like for any serious HP everyone is using older cub frames, trannies and rears.  We have a few Pro Stock Deere's here that are really Cub underneath, but they look and sound good!
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

anything