Author Topic: 2a016 engine  (Read 20382 times)

Offline trowel

• View Profile
2a016 engine
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:45 pm »
hello, im new here,
i have been looking for help with modifying a 2a016 twin cylinder air cooled military engine into a mildly ''hopped-up'' engine, it is around 8 to 10 hp, the military rates it at 3 hp, it is very well built and a tough little engine, i have two, one on a arines roto tiller and one on a ariens snowblower that's currently being used as a mower, what is stopping me from jumping into this is my friends and others have seen many in the junk pile due to it throwing rods, it has the oil dipper screwed into the rod cap,
 i have posted this question on many other forums with no help, not many people know about this engine and some come to me for help finding parts and tuning the engine,
any help would be much appreciated,
trowel

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2a016 engine
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:23:22 pm »
Chances are if you see a lot of them in the junk pile with thrown rods if you modify it will make that problem worse.

Military rates it at 3 HP, but you say it has 8 to 10 HP.  How is that?  Probably desiged to run at 3 HP and if you crank the govenor to 10 HP it spits out a rod.

Just my guess.

Although it would be cool to have a 3 hp twin on a push mower!

Paul

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:49:14 am »
oh, hey, i got a responce, cool,
the military under-rates everything, im not shure why they do that, the engine is 16 cub. inch. total, 8 cub. inch per cylinder, comes to a around 9hp for that cub. inch, it has semi-hemi heads, overhead valves, and dome pistons, the engine is the size of a 10 hp engine.
i have used this engine on a roto tiller and my ariens walk behind mower, and my god does it have a lot of power, it will eat a 7 hp tecumeh any day of the week (what the mower had originally), the 2a016-3 engine i have turned into my next victim now has free flowing exhaust pipes into a collector and it has bumped up the hp to around 10 to 10 1/2 hp respecfully, right now im building a adapter plate to mount a model U carter carb. as a start, im looking at aftermarket carb.s such as a 34mm mikuni flat-slide or a tilliston 360b.
im still thinking of shaving the heads .005 as a start, my brother is a machinist and can help me with this project, as for the rod thowing i talked to some people who has used these engines on snowblowers and they said to use locktight on the rod bolts and i will be fine, the 2a016 victim i have chosen to use was on a 1980's ariens ST snowblower for 10 years with no problems, the original tecumeh's rod when for a walk across his driveway at 3 years old so he put this on it, the seller said that the snowblower wore out and he took the engine off of it to save, it is rope start and the seller is in his late 50's and can no longer pull start it so he sold the engine to me, another 2a016 engine on a john deere snowblower a owner has in NY has the 2a016-1 engine without the electronic ignition and has been used as such for over 12 years, he said that he beat the crap out of it using a 3 inch pto pully instead of a 2 1/2 inch original pully and the engine took it like a champ, still works every winter on open exhaust pipes, but all this is at 3600 to 4000 rpms,
i think this engine is worth it, but im not shure what to put it on, racing mower ?, go kart ?, pulling tractor ?,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=najr3J5uNhw
very unique idle, but the carb. has to go, very troublesome and has the cork float,
trowel
this is me tuning the carb. after mounting the header, the header wobbled really bad so i have made a bar to keep it from wobbling,
trowel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H-yz9rpofOQ

Offline trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:09 am »
bore is-2.250 inch, stroke is-2.000 inch, compression ratio is 6 to 1 as per piston,
this is from the army technical manual (tm) for these engines, all the specs required are provided in this,
trowel

Offline trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:55:40 am »
i know that this is an odd engine, but im asking because im use to briggs, tecumseh, kohler, this engine is new to me too, it's small, around 7 to 8 hp stock,
the bore is 2.25 inch, the stroke is 2.0 inch and it has semi-hemi (hemispherical design) heads, that's pretty good for a small engine, that's why im posting here, with the hopes that someone who has exerience with twin over head valved engines could give me a few pointers/tricks,
example: shaved heads, port~n~polish, tuned exhaust, polishing the crank journals, etc...
or is this all taboo and a trade secret

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:19 am »
No secrets here.. just that nobody runs those motors.. too small for our purposes..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »
i see,
so by what you said ''our purpose'' then it is pointless for me to continue to post questions about this engine,
with that being said, i will stop posting, thank you again DanW for your help,
trowel

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 05:18:10 pm »
all he meant was we do not use that engine....we meaning lawn mower racers, which is what this site is for. So no, no one is keeping any secrets, we just don't know anything about that engine.
Now there may be some guys here who have messed with them, but the majority of us have not.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline trowel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »
like i said, pontless to contunue if nobody knows anything about this engine, you all race with engines 16 hp and up, briggs, kohlers, etc..
this is an odd-ball ''little'' engine no one know much about, but in all of my years of working on engines, they are all the same, an engine,
i'll just keep looking and modifying this engine little at a time, modify and test, modify and test, im tired of forums that can not or will not help, 6 mounths of looking and waiting and im tired of it,
mabey the next time i post it will be a kohler cammand or briggs on a racing mower,
trowel

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
like i said, pontless to contunue if nobody knows anything about this engine,

We talk about engines that come on mowers, it is what we race.
Sorry you didn't get instant gratification here, or anywhere for that matter.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"