Author Topic: new to pulling  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Cowboy

• View Profile
new to pulling
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:31 pm »
I have a 1976 case 446 hydriv tractor. wondering if this is a good puller. It has a newer linamar xl 770 motor. Any info would be great.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: new to pulling
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »
It can be with some work. First off what class are you wanting to pull in and who are you pulling with? That info will help us help you.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »
I plan on pulling with mtpocketpullers.com. its for my sons ages 10 and 5 so probally beginner and advanced classes. Have pics if needed.
After reading thru the rules for mt pocket pullers I have realized i can only pull in the 14-20hp twin cylinder class because of wheel size. unless this can be modified to 12in wheels and later returned to 16in.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »
You will want ag type tires. Carlisles preferrably. They are on 12" rims. You might want to see if you can come up with a cub transmission. The hydros lose a lot of power. But id say take it out and pull before you go changing too much to make sure its what you want to do.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline 46oppypuller

• View Profile
    • Mr. Moly High Performance Lubricants
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:06:26 am »
I wouldn't get to discouraged about having a hydro. They can do pretty good in the stock class and the tighter the track the better they can do. They don't do well on very loose tracks though. Tires, well if it's a loose track ag is the way to go but if it's real tight the right turf can actually have an advantage. Keep in mind I'm only talking stock class! You will want to make sure they are the biggest you can go for your class ie 23x10.5-12. More surface area touching the ground. You can speed up the input to the pump a little and it will help to minimize power loss. Just don't expect it to last forever though. Stock class is a great place to start and don't forget to take notes while there to give you an idea of what you may want to do or get in the future. Oh and have FUN!
murray-46cu briggs, A-C soon to be 28cu Briggs
Mr. Moly High Performance Lubricants www.mrmoly.com
Charlie Book

Offline Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
thanks for the info on the case, but after reading the rules and regs for the club my son will be pulling with, decided to look for a smaller tractor for him to start with. came across a craftsman frame and a 12hp ohv engine that i will build into puller. dont know anything about the freme yet and as soon as i can figure out how to put pics in this post i will add them. its an older frame, dont think its a suburban, but fingers are crossed. will probably run with stock trans, but have read that a cub trans is better, so will start lokking into that for future pulls. any info on this would be great, for again this is all new to me. again my son and i appreiciate all the info given.

Offline Tazz245

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:36 pm »
i would look for a cub cadet if it was me.