Author Topic: 16 hp Command question  (Read 5191 times)

Offline flatlanderfornow

• View Profile
16 hp Command question
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:32 am »
I saw a vertical today and wondered if you could make a horizontal out of it like you
can with an opposed Briggs.  Looks like on the outside the bosses are there for the
base, just not drilled.  I'm sure you'd have to change the oil pickup setup and maybe
some internal drain holes, but that's not major to me. 
Todd Potter
603-922-5269

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 16 hp Command question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:37:48 am »
There's a puller from Iowa named Kyle that was converting them.  He is on some of the pulling sites as "Lottacheese".  His e-mail was Binterstate@aol.com but thats been a couple years ago, it may still work.  I heard he also uses binterstate@netins.net.  He also  is a great sorce for new Kohler parts.

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing
Shakin' by a Roller Kohler

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »
Vie been wanting to do the same thing. There's a 17hp command single I want to make it horizontal. Looks like we will have to get a carb adaptor and a new crank case cover for a horiznoal.

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »
All it takes is a cam mod and oem parts.

Offline flatlanderfornow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »
Sounds good to me.  How about the twins?  Those are not as hard to find as the horizontals.
Seem to be cheaper as well.
Todd Potter
603-922-5269

Offline TinRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »
Flippin a horz to vert or visa versa is rather easy, have done many in past few years for the pullin kind. Hi Jack, this is Kyle ;)
can be done with all factory parts w/o any modifying but is easier if you do cut & shave the vert balance gear instead of buying another part. Drill mounts, drill & tap the oil drain, change the front oil pan or cover with the internal oil pump & pickup, snag one of the factory "Rotators" forthe carb so it site properly & voila, ver to horz. Going horz to vert you will have to buy the longer vert balance gear, the oil pump drive shaft is longer.
Litterbox Engine
Kyle

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »
the Tinrabbit from ebay several years back???

Offline TinRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:15 pm »
Yes, used to go by the name Tinrabbit2 since he name was already taken without a number.
Litterbox Engine
Kyle

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
Thought so, I got a few horizontal pans from u back in the day. Ran the same ones on the cv490s w/ good results for years, easiest way we made them go horizontal w/ minimum mods.

Offline TinRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:36:25 pm »
been awhile since I last sold any of the command single stuff on evilbay, been saving alot of that stuff for the pulling guys locally. I built a stock 16hp out of mixed match parts from command singles, no porting, no altering any of the factory parts, just s 6 angle valve job, polish cam & crank, put on a steel adjustable timing flywheel, #26 carb, set governor to 3800rpm running on BP Ultimate fuel & it turned out 23hp & decent on a wide power band. Not too shabby for a little 29 cubic inch single!
Couple others were just straight up timing, factory assemblies w/o any work done & they came out around 19hp each.
Great lil engines to run when you are limited in cubic inch ;)
Litterbox Engine
Kyle

anything