Author Topic: Any advice on removing stuck rear tires?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline w0lf215

• View Profile
Any advice on removing stuck rear tires?
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:24 am »
First post, so i apologize for any issues if there are any. I recently picked up an old Craftsman LT-1000 and i have some new rear tires to swap to it, but the ones that are currently on it are rusted really bad and i cant seem to remove them. I popped the C clip off and try prying/pulling the tire off to no avail. Any technique you guys have for removing stuck tires like this? This and what all would you recommend to do with this mower for a beginner/first race mower. It has the 16hp koehler engine, 6 speed transmission, a 6.5 inch pulley in front, and a 3 inch in the rear. I most definitely want to do this project the correct and safe way, thats why im asking your opinions on this. I have a welder and most of the more basic tools required to do work on a mower like this i just am unsure on how/what else there truly is to do while still being reasonable in the price/amount of work scale. Any help is appreciated greatly!

Offline Big Mike

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice on removing stuck rear tires?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:23 am »
WD-40 load em up
2013 ARMA National Points Series Southeast Region 3rd place Super Stock
2015 FXT Champion Local

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »
PB-BLASTER works real good to. If you put alittle heat on it first then spray on the PB it will suck in.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline FISHMONGER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:03:33 pm »
some of the rime have two holes you can use a wheel puller on them if not heat em and beat em i had one set that was so stuck i had to cut the centers out with a torch and the mill the hubs so i could split them
NELMRA
S/S 088   
IMOW 388
2012 NELMRA S/S Champion
2012 NELMRA IMOW Champion

Offline promowtion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »
I just pulled a pair off of a craftsman that were stuck solid . I used a large 3 jaw puller that hooked over the outside edge of the rims . I had soaked them with blaster for about an hour and once they broke free they slid the rest of the way off by hand . You can rent the pullers at most auto parts stores or buy one at Harbor freight for about 15.00 .