Author Topic: How about some class ideas?  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Re: How about some class ideas?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 06:30:39 pm »
How about 6 classes total.

Governed Single
Got It!!-IMOW

Governed Twin
Why?

Ungoverned Single Billet Flywheel Manditory; Possible carb restrictor
A/P, S/P & C/P-singles

Ungoverned Twin Billet Flywheel Manditory; Possible carb restrictor
C/P-twins & B/P

Unlimitied Single Billet Flywheel Manditory
Super MOd Single

Unlimited Twin Billet Flywheel Manditory
Super Mod Twin

Easy to tech covers everyone!

We already have every class you mentioned, so basically you just want to rename them and lump some of them together....and the way you have them "lumped" isn't fair....I think I will stick with what is working fine already!

Dan I picked on your post because I think you can be objective and not offended...I just used it as an example, nothing personal.

Everytime we have gone down this road in the last 3 years I see the same thing. No-one really want's to change much, they basically just want to do the same 3 things!
#1 put their twist on the classes we already have
#2 Dumpo the classes that aren't popular around them
#3 Add that "budget" class they think is awesome!

Here are the problems with that..
#1 The classes we already have are fine, might need some tweaking here and there, but there is no reason to force every mower out there to change!
#2 The classes are sometimes regional, some places AP's are popular, other places CP's...etc.
#3 Many clubs, especially the USLMRA AC's already have their own budget class. As was mentioned before, most guys who can only afford to run these classes most likely won't travel, there really is no need for a National set of rules. Let the Locals decide what they want to run. Trying to decide for them will accomplish nothing but alienating them. But if you feel as though there must be National rules...there already is, they are called the US Open Super Stock class...it really is an excellent class  ;)

Why would we dump a rule book that has been almost 20 years in the making?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »
I think too many get hung up on the national vs. local classes. At some local levels where there is no mowers in a certain class then look into not using it or if a low number the do the grouping similar together. We need at the local level a "budget" entry class to get people hooked. These classes will not be travel type of racers so no need at the national level.

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »
No offense taken at all Rooster.  I just throw ideas out and let anyone speak their peace.

My thought is if you make the 6 classes then there is no S/P, B/P or C/P because of engine design.  

If you cant run the ungoverned class because your mower doesn't make enough power, then govern it and run that class.  Govern the engines to 3000 RPM. With no restrictions on wheelbase, tire size, gearing etc, it makes the class equal regardless of engine.  Only limit/restriction I suggest is cubic inches.

In the ungoverned class if you restrict ONLY the carb opening like NASCAR does, then engine design doesn't mean diddly.  Again, the only other limit/restriction I suggest is cubic inches.

The unlimited single and twin classes should only have cubic inch limits and be allowed to use centrifical clutches.

My  :twocents:

Actually this makes it 4 classes if you do it this way.  Now you would have a budget/cheap class.  A moderate budget class and then 2 deep pocket classes.
Dan Borba

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »
Why change the classes. Most people would be angry if you go switching the classes around. Why change something that is working......only thing hindering the racing is the gas prices. We can afford to build em just cant afford to get em to the race track.
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
You dont have to change the mowers.  All you are doing is taking restrictions away or adding a restriction and combining mowers to put more mowers on the track at one time and giving a better show to the crowd.  Easier to understand for the general public.  There would be 3 different obvious speeds and 3 different closeness in racing.

Dan Borba

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 08:02:40 pm »
The idea lately is that "STOCK" motors are cheap, just ask the entire class of OHV singles in the western part of the states how cheap the stockers are. Six told their club they would have to quit racing if they weren't allowed to improve the STOCK internals of the engine because they could not finish a race with out breaking. Stock engines cost more in the long run, they posted on here trying to find help, look for them in past posts.

A 8 hp Mini with a 12?, we gotta class for that it's Pro-X or FX. some of these "built" engines barely turn over 5500.

The fact is racing aint cheap, I'm sorry but that's it. Big fast engines do not make a first place winner tune your chassis, improve your driving skill's, when and if the gas prices go down, more will come.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline dandt4238

• Turf Warrior
  • Dean Schopf Jr. Dover, PA
    • View Profile
    • The PA Lawn Mower Racing Assoc.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »
Well Tom, Looks like a split decision.  Those who have read your COMPLETE post, and those who haven't.  Looks like we will be left to do this on our own.  We just won't be invited to any national races, bit since we race stock motors, we won't travel anyway.  Plus we will be to busy repairing our motors after each race.  Doesn't make sense to me is, there is no more stress on our stock engines now on race prepared frames, than what was on them when the decks still had blades on them.  I guess we do something different here in PA then the rest of the country.
Schopf & Frantz Family Mowtorsports
550 FX
505 CPR
161 CP and CPR
523 CPR
181 CP
and our newest driver
     *295 IMOW* Good Luck Ashers!

anything