Author Topic: Racing for Free for Paying Spectators  (Read 3040 times)

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
Racing for Free for Paying Spectators
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:17 pm »
I'd like some others opinions on racing at fairs that have paying spectators. It is my feeling that if the promoters or the fair boards are making money off the people in the stands for a show that we are putting on, that they should be willing to pay us something. Each mower is going to bring more $ for the promoter or fair by putting more people in the stands & pits. Why should they get to keep all the $ when we are putting on the show. I'm afraid that if we do it for free that it is going to be hard to get them to pay in the future. I'm not talking about lots of $ but at least some to help for gas, motels etc. Unfortunately, we don't have enough local racers yet to put on a good show so we need to be able to draw in racers from out of the area & most of them are not willing to travel for free. Opinions??????????
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racing for Free for Paying Spectators
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »
I can only speak for our fair. The Montgomery County Fair in MD. is having their first Mower racing event this year and from what I have been told it is free to spectators.  All they pay is to get into the fair itself. 
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »
Our fair venues pay us AND yes we started out many years ago the first one free and yes it was hard to get them to pay finally  but from then on they all pay.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline anzadon

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:43:06 pm »
I'm with you Bob- share the wealth,- we have made the investment, but we can't get to gready either

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:06:33 am »
When I talk to fairs or festivals I have kind of a sketchy "fee schedule".
It depends ofn the event, the community and how much show they want.
If I am going to have to pay out to get enough drivers there to do the show...then they are going to have to pay me!

If it is a community event that might have 50 spectators and they just want to see a few of us putting on an exhibition, then I mightt do it for free or pretty cheap just to get us some time in front of folks and get our name out there.

But if it is a 5000 spectator show, they want 30 mowers, a 2 or 3 hour show,  and they are charging $15 or $20 a head for grandstands...yeah they need to share that!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:51:06 am »
When dealing with fair boards and other community events trying to draw a crowd, (whether or not they charge for seating) you need to remember we are the "entertainment" that for their crowd..

If we were a band, we would want to be paid, demo derbys are "paid" to show up, why not us...

We used to get between $2,500 to $3,500 to run a show, and split that for tow money, insurance, trophys, and a little something for track workers (helps get regular repete experianced helpers) and have a little left over to build up for end of year Award ceremony...

It's a business...can't run a show for free...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline 2budzracing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:02 am »
Well I know for a fact that the fairs here in California are are directly getting impacted from budget cuts.Luckily I established a good relationship with several before this junk started and still have events to participate in and get paid for.We as a whole do take backseat as far as money goes to other more popular venue attractions but that is changing slowly due to the promotional efforts of the USLMRA.I personally know that I would not some of the contacts I have now without them.Right now and until the economy recovers we all just have to maintain our professional demeaner at paying events and continue to gain exposure for our sport.I believe that this year will prove to be a turning point for all of us due the the exposure to come.

I just want to give credit now to one individual that is really kicking some grass for EVERY racer and this sport as a whole regardless of group affiliation,you may not have seen any of his new accomplishments yet but believe me YOU WILL !
Thanks Bruce Kaufman
PS (see Marc no cussin' :P )
President of the Anza Mowtivated Hillbillys
President of the PCLMRA (Pacific Coast Lawn Mower Racing Association)
Owner 2 BUDZ RACING #16 #26 #36 #46
West Coast Regional Director USLMRA

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:09 am »
Can someone here tell me who/what is in charge of the race at the Montgomery County Fair?  I am a superintendant there, (Old MAcDonalds Barn) but cannot find any info on this particular race. I know they requested a stock class so people not familiar with this sport can compete. In my experience with car shows, auto racing , etc.  advertising is key.  I have been telling people about it, but I am only one person. I will not have a mower ready for this event (I don't think) but would be more than willing to help out as I will be at the fairgrounds all week anyway.  Thanks, Tom
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:19:37 am »
We do a few fairs / small community annual celebrations and this is what we've been doing. They prep the track, secure the racing environment and handle the gate with input from us. They pay our announcer, flag man and insurance cost as well as tow money. Tow money is usually between $20 - $40. We put all this together with a min max figure so they know the max that will come out of their entertainment budget well in advance of the event. We plan to move to a fixed cost at some point once we've done a few more. So far we’ve been coming in under the max estimate and have not kept any of the extra $. If I tell them the tow money will be between $30 and $40 and we have enough money left over to pay each driver more I DON'T, I give it back. The word getting out that we paid someone $50 is not worth it! Tell them what you’re going to do and do it, be firm and honest and it will work out.
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline 2budzracing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:49:08 pm »
Amen LC but I like to do a contract for a set amount determined by several factors including 'tow money' and expenses,but wherever I can shave a dime I will to give to the racers.Case in point: My next 2 races I have arrainged to have camping at the track so no hotel money.Things like this are helpfull to racers to eliminate fuel costs and lower the budget if it is a 2 day gig.Besides camping in the pits is fun !
President of the Anza Mowtivated Hillbillys
President of the PCLMRA (Pacific Coast Lawn Mower Racing Association)
Owner 2 BUDZ RACING #16 #26 #36 #46
West Coast Regional Director USLMRA

anything