Author Topic: spittn', sputtern' & popn'  (Read 16140 times)

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: spittn', sputtern' & popn'
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »
Look at the brass tube sticking out into the venturi, is it 1 size or does it come out of the side 1 size, then step down a little smaller?
How big is the bore on that carb?
The venturi is straight.  It is the D shaped bore carb if that helps.  I will measure it tonight.  I noticed that Tom Hawley's doesn't have a venturi.  Is that possible?
Dan Borba

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
D shaped bore?
NOw you got my attention...lol, never seen a "D" shaped bored carb?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:24 pm »
D shaped bore?
I will post or send you a picture tonight.
Dan Borba

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
D shaped bore?

The bore is right about 13/16"
Here is the link to photobucket to see the carb.  
http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n600/westcoastracer1/?action=view&current=IMG00122-20110518-1849.jpg
Dan Borba

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 04:23:54 pm »
Lol,After you posted that I went and looked at my carbs...guess its been awhile since I really looked at a stock carb.
So , ummmm....ooops, I wasted your time taking pictures of something I had just forgotten about! Sorry about that!

If you cutt the venturi out of them you will need to add a velocity stack. Those things that alot of people call an "air filter adapter", are actually a velocity stack.

That brass tube sticking out there, one of the carb experts will have to tell you the name of it, I always forget?? :confused:
The one you have has the medium sized brass tube, there are other carbs that have a smaller on, and the "big carbs" have a short one that is bigger in diameter, and it is thicker, with the end that sticks out into the bore turned down.

With that size tube you are going to be limited on how much you can do with the jet. But I doubt it will hurt you, with less than a fully built engine, they are easy to get over jetted.

I am not a carb builder, actually the carb I run is the one in that picture that ROE built. or my 42 cube it was a little bit big and was very touchy on the needle. Now that I have switched to E85, it is much easier to tune.  I have run down the opposed carbs in the past, but since then I have learned alot more about carbs, and they really aren't completely trash like I used to think. The problem was not with the carb, but with the un-educated carb tuner....me!
The only real problem with the opposed is it lacks the adjustments you would like to see on a racing carb like a Tilly or Mikuni.

I will tell you what I know about opposed carbs, and what i have done with them to make them work better though.

I take the brass tube and squeeze it to form an oval so that they are not as big of a block to the air.
Those brass jets pressed in the top are a little small, I open those up just a bit. I use torch tip cleaners, find the one that fits through with some resistance and work it with that until it slides through easily.
Those brass jets cause alot of problems for us, underneath those are passages that are bigger than the holes in the jets...kinda obvious, when you shave the jets out the shavings are inherently going into those passages. as well, dirt and corrosion get trapped in those passages. Usually when guys tell me "But I HAVE cleaned it", in those passages is where their problem will be. I have taken a carb that was cleaned and cleaned until it looked better than new, when I stuck a wire in those jets, it only went about 1/8th of an inch in.

The secret to cleaning a carb, is to know where you cant see and how to clean there!

Before you do anything to that carb, sit down with it, a piece of wire, and a syringe. Stick the wire in the holes and see where it goes. Take the syringe, push fluid through the holes and see where it comes out! Don't do this with a pressured can of choke cleaner......that crap will burn the heck out of your peepers, and if you use it to "discover" where the other end of that hole the straw is stuck in is at, the other end is most likely pointed at your face!

I gotta go to work lol....more later!

Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 07:09:09 pm »
I have wire chased all the holes and passages in the carb.  I will use a tip cleaner to open those nozzles up.  I was going to start with a #68 drill on the main jet to see how that works.  What about the vent holes that you and Tom Hawley have on your engines?
Dan Borba

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:52 pm »
On the top of your carb there are 4 holes, three of them bolt the air cleaner down and the other one is a vent hole.
My Velocity Stack covers the vent hole so those were necessary to allow the carb to vent.
Bert stole my cookies!!

anything