Author Topic: Heymow Hints  (Read 32167 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
Heymow Hints
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:58:56 am »
Well if we are going to get this thing rolling, we are going to need Heymow Hints!

How has 2011 started off for you?  We are just far enough along that most of us have our season unbderway?
Who is leading what points?
Whats new with your crew?
How are the new builds doing?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Heymow Hints
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:10:13 am »
i dunno if this be longs here...... but if motor wount start make sure kill switch is on..... be fore u rip cover off to check fly wheel  key change magnito  :bash:
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:01 am »
How has 2011 started off for you?
To be honest ok but not ok. Too much work coming in at start of season to include grass cutters to the point I have decided to close down and take no more. I am simply over whelmed. The one blessing in it all is my son Jake. Without him at times I would give up.

No points for Herrin Mowersports in 2011. Myself and Jake have decided to run for fun work on the BTMRA and only make a select few major events if the Money is there. I did however attend a USLMRA event the first in 4 or 5 years. We know now we suck at lemans TO OLD AND TOO FAT and too many aches and pains. But Sunday with rolling starts it evened up the field and came form 5th to win the BP heat then lead every lap of the BP feature even setting fastest time. SO it felt good to know I still have it because as we get older we do start to wonder.

I am a few lbs heavier a year older Jake is actually lost a lb or two and even smarter. We also have a new driver that will be showcased at the ALL American so stay tuned.

They are not going at all I will not start anything new on mine until all Customer work has left my shop. Then the fun begins.

George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:02 pm »
Well the first race we found out that for this track we need a much higher gear.  It is a 1/5 banked oval.  The second race we broke the input gearing in the transaxle.
Who is leading the points?
We don't run for points yet.
What's new with your crew?
We added my daughter to the driving duties with the addition of a second mower.
The new build still needs some tuning.  Having engine problems more than anything.  It is a stock oppy  that I got for nothing but it has some sort of grimlin in it.  It is either ignition or fuel.  Still checking and changing parts.  Just rebuilt the carb and still has a popping or sputter  under RPM.

Dan Borba

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »
Hints?

1. Always make small adjustments with air pressure before making large adjustments with wedge.

2. Check your toe in/out after every race... with the bumps we run on its doesn't take much to throw out your toe and ruin a good set-up.

3. If you push into the turn.. back the corner up and see if it improves.. as Darrell Waltrip says.. sometimes you need to slow down to go fast. You can't fix a push if you are driving too deep into a turn.

4. Rule for bolts: Bolts go in with the head on top.. just in case the nut comes off you might still avoid a wreck if your bolt stays in place.

5. Loose isn't always fast. A neutral balance will always beat you out of the turn from the middle off because of better forward bite. That comes from being able to get to the gas earlier. A little free is much better that Loose.

Offline JohnB

• Turf Warrior
  • voodoo twin racing
    • View Profile
    • johnb
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 05:44:48 pm »

We know now we suck at lemans TO OLD AND TOO FAT and too many aches and pains.

George,
I am the same, rolling starts only. Heck, I get out of breath trying to run a short distance.
I have not finished my super mod. the little things for tech like clutch covers and exhaust. I have the parts but working like crazy. It is in Louisiana and I am in Alabama. I need a Saturday off to go and get it. Hope to get it, next weekend.
Earn your way, nothing is given to you!
D' Mow Letion

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
Re: Re: Re: Heymow Hints
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:12:46 pm »
Well if we are going to get this thing rolling, we are going to need Heymow Hints!

The season hasn't begun yet.....LOL

New with the crew....where to start. My fiance Terryn is going to begin racing in the IMOW. We purchased two mowers one being Joe Whitehead's SP in roller form as my new CP. The other mower is last years AP national champion which was built by Mace Mullins and raced by Dale Becker. We are purchasing it from Don Whitehead.

New builds are coming along great my feather powered MONSTER oppy build is coming along great. Thanks Rooster and Birdman_Express. We plan on debuting both May 21st at the Berrien Springs USLMRA national race. Dad's CP is coming along great it too will have a feather powered MONSTER oppy. Terryn's IMOW is about 95% done with a tecumseh powering it. The only thing that will be changed with the AP is the lettering and the oil.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:26 pm »
my season hasnt begun yet... still tryin to decide where to go with it at the moment...

dads superstock/imow is comin along great just about ready to take it for its maiden voyage... mine is still sittin there with no trans or gears... its real close and it should work well... thinkin that i might have to get the ball rollin on my s/p engine... should be the only one like it out there... other than of one i know of... if all goes well in about 7 weeks maybe ill make up my mind... gonna try and get my little kaw to chase after mr burwells c/p tractor and keep it close lol... me and matt strine are goin for the same goal  8)

with work bein the way it is and school and workin on mowers at home tryin to make a few quick bucks havent had time recently to work on either tractor... got to love gettin up workin on mowers then comin home and workin on racers and other stock ones...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline larry reddinger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
so far test and tune day wa canceled to rain and now today was first points race and it is canceled to rain
Larry :chris:

Offline flyinBranch

• AHLMR ACP
  • Turf Warrior
  • AHLMR Local chapter president
    • View Profile
    • American Heartland LawnMower Racers
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20:05 pm »
It been a long season so far. One series over and two more started one started.
Live like a legend, Ride like a cowboy, Party like a rock star.
Larry Benning #36X

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:37:50 am »
What a year so far!!!  I finished the new build with just a few weeks to spare before the US race in McDonough and it has performed almost flawlessly!  I am even in the planning stages of a new build which is yet to be determined.  Thus far this year I have been fortunate to win all of the feature races that I have ran.  I hope to continue having the success that I have been fortunate to have and plan to start looking for sponsorship for next year.  Hopefully I can finish well enough that someone will feel comfortable letting me spend their money!
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Jamie (Jmow) Maurice #17

• MauriceMotorsports
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:55 am »
Well so far this season with my new BP build i have finished 2nd local 1st in Jacksonville and 3rd at the nationals. I have learned so much in the past few months that i can take with me for the rest of my life. Hopefully this year i can keep the beast on all four wheels and have fun doing it. The Biggest thing i have learned this year so far is (Check Your brakes after adjusting and be Calm Cool Collective) Should be a great season and i also want to Mention how this sport brought my father and me back together closer then ever. Thanks guys for all the advise and hopefully ill meet everyone soon. Thank god for racing...
Jamie Jmow Maurice #17 - CP/BP/FXS
2012 Glmra driver of the year
2012 Glmra Bp track champion
2012 Glmra 2nd place FXT
GLMRA track president....
2011 SOMA Bounty race (supersportsman) Champion

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
My build, lets see, first work was alittle average and bills were high - lack of funds. Next work picked up ,bills went down - income went up [some] so I can buy parts. Now less time to get stuff done. I am very glad I am working, so I see some late nights in my future! Remember, a bad day racing or building is still and always will be better than a good day at work!! I DO LOVE THIS SPORT!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline BigChuck

• Turf Warrior
  • Big Idea Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:56:02 pm »
1... Start to 2011. 4 mowers on our team. One roll over. one 5th place finish. One engine destroyed. One pan gasket failure. = LONG NIGHT!! :bash:
2... Leading Points?? Certainly none of us!!! :roll:
3... New team members? Yes one new driver of stock #34. Myself new to driving outlaw. Still letting the mower drive me!!! Trying to change that soon
4... New builds? Not really. Just a couple of major project to current racers. Biggest one is v-twin in outlaw vs single last year.
Big Chuck

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Only 1 race and 2 rain outs so very slow, finished 2nd to last with new BP in the one race.

CP:  Randy Vasseau driving fro Gary VanGilts
Super Stock:  Mike BeBruyn
Open (BP & FX):   Justin Altimeier

Good News - New track in Central Iowa
Bad News - Been rained out there twice

Mine was built in 3 weeks and not race ready until 25 minutes before the 1st race, still lots to do but it ran, was fast & didnt break (all except the turning left part). With only 1 race everyone is still unsure about the changes made over the winter other than Gary & Randy, Gary's new engine was strong and won the 1st time out with rookie driver.
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com