Author Topic: cv15 oil pump counterbalance shaft how strong?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline shamrocknut

• View Profile
cv15 oil pump counterbalance shaft how strong?
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:44 pm »
I have a cv15 that I'm thinking of building for a racing kart. My biggest concern is the counterbalance shaft that drives the oil pump. What rpms can it stand ? Depending on the cam (haven't picked it yet) I'd like to turn about 7 to 8 grand. Will this shaft stand these rpm's? If it is removed what can you drive the pump with ? Billet steel shaft ?Any info would be appreciated. thanks Mark Andeson
M.Anderson

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: cv15 oil pump counterbalance shaft how strong?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »
yes it will hold and work fine.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: cv15 oil pump counterbalance shaft how strong?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:01:14 pm »
Yes it can be removed, use a 12v holley fuel pump and connect using lines on a remote oil cooler to suck from pan and push into oil passages. Also need to fab up a internal oil line from both balance bosses ( one in pan, other in block ) to get oil over to block side. Had to balance crank, improve/ make new oil pickup assembly. Yes, large gain in acceleration and will need to be geared taller to keep from over revving. Lightened balanced single crank and rod will hold up to 9k.  Never had a broken balance shaft, w/ shaft in regularly ran 7k with occasional 8k+ when tires broke loose or bounced.

anything