Author Topic: Yipeee  (Read 7247 times)

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Yipeee
« on: November 24, 2006, 05:05:32 pm »
I am getting a peerless 600 tomorow! Gramps had it in the yard with a bunch of other stuff. I was gonna take the whole tractor ( dynamark) but the steering is shot. So now i just gotta find me somtim to put her in!
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Yipeee
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:51:24 pm »
What about the Craftsman build?????
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »
Its still on, waiting until i get my new welder to start back up on her.
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:51:51 pm »
LUCKY!!!!!! IM SO JEALOUS!!!!! :mad:, thats the transaxle i need for my crapsman build up, if i cant find one soon, im thinking about buying one of squidds 600's.

Offline creechfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:44:00 pm »
heehhehhhhehe i got mine under for under $60

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 03:21:40 am »
I am getting a peerless 600 tomorow! Gramps had it in the yard with a bunch of other stuff. I was gonna take the whole tractor ( dynamark) but the steering is shot. So now i just gotta find me somtim to put her in!

So put a new front axle in it already! C'Mon!!! I thought Squidd and I taught you everything we know and all you learned was the takin gramps to Hooters trick!

Personally I'd leave the 600 in the Dynmark Corey. Dynamark's are very popular on the racing scene, they have a well built chassis, and can be fairly easy to modify into a prepared class mower. Steering isn't a major issue, it can be overcome with a little study and a few questions. Look through Squidd's build threads he covers most of the topic fairly well. Once you get the welder, a trip to the local welding shop to pick up stock for the tube and ends for the axle will probably cost you $5. Toss in a few week's allowance for heims to make it all work and you're in business dude.

Looking at the IMOW project, the 600 is a pain to build around if you're going to lower the chassis, but it can be done. It would also make a good cross country racer to run in Chris's new USCCLMRA!

Don't waste a good chassis over worn out steering though, whatever you do!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 06:38:24 am »
So put a new front axle in it already! C'Mon!!! I thought Squidd and I taught you everything we know and all you learned was the takin gramps to Hooters trick!

Ummm...What else "do" we know...?  :woo:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:09:31 am »
 :lol: The 600 is going in a woods tractor. The dynamark steering is shot, and the engine is in it but the pulley won't come off. So i can't get the engine out because some reason the hole for the motor is smaller then the pulley?
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 10:41:43 am »
:lol: The 600 is going in a woods tractor. The dynamark steering is shot, and the engine is in it but the pulley won't come off. So i can't get the engine out because some reason the hole for the motor is smaller then the pulley?

Steering isn't real critical on a woods tractor, just ask Chris! This would afford you an excellent opportunity to practice front end design and fabrication, where all the evils of front end geometry aren't going to kick you in the seat of the pants quite so bad if you don't get them perfect.

Hole smaller than the pulley was pretty common back in the day when engineers thought that engines were gonna last forever, and you'd never need to take that pulley off. Later realizing it didn't and you occasionally did, they made the hole bigger! One of these days they'll figure out you need to get the pulley off the shaft to get the pan off and use split sheeve pulleys so that things would be less apt to grow to the crankshaft permanently too! Maybe! Honestly I think it's a secret plot to overthrow the world one stuck pulley at a time, by forcing you to buy new lawn mowers when all you need is a pulley that comes off.

Hacksaws, side grinders, and air chisels come to mind! Cut a section of the pulley out on one side, grind down in the hub a ways stopping shy of the crank, might want to hacksaw the last little bit to be on the safe side, and use the air chisel to split the hub and rattle it off. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 11:17:35 am »
Steering isn't real critical on a woods tractor, just ask Chris! This would afford you an excellent opportunity to practice front end design and fabrication, where all the evils of front end geometry aren't going to kick you in the seat of the pants quite so bad if you don't get them perfect.

Not 100% true! The front steering takes a @#$% BEATING on a woods mower. I've broken a tie rod once and ripped the piece welded onto the steering shaft off once also. When going through holes and hitting things hard with the front tires, you really need to make sure that you beef up the front suspension to take the abuse. Remember, we don't have the luxury of suspension like most ATV's do! Just think, when you have to climb over something (say a tree trunk or a rock) all the weight of your mower, you, and the pressure of trying to push the object forward (until it starts to climb over it) is going to that one front tire...

And this is what happens when you don't reinforce it:

All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 11:50:49 am »
I was referring to the steering wheel unattached scenario!  ;)

You would seem to infer up there that steering might need to be improved from stock anyhow. So the steering being shot likely isn't a big deal anyhow since it would need to be improved upon!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 03:55:03 pm »
I was referring to the steering wheel unattached scenario!  ;)

I have no idea what your talking about
All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 03:57:58 pm »
On my gilson i was going down my friends driveway, and my steering wheel popped off!
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 01:39:15 pm »
started prepping it today, i can't get the pulley off  :omg: i took the bolt out, and i didn't see a c clip holding it on to. hmmm i heated it with propane and still nothing might bring it to school and use the acetalyne torches.
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:58:53 pm »
Squidd, or rocky on yours was it only a bolt and no clip?
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

anything