Author Topic: Should there be limits?  (Read 46342 times)

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be limits?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »
that or hunting trips 2,000 to 20,000    a trip for a week to a week 1/2  id say racing mowers is the cheepest
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline dandt4238

• Turf Warrior
  • Dean Schopf Jr. Dover, PA
    • View Profile
    • The PA Lawn Mower Racing Assoc.
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
Hey westcoast racer, check out the build clinic page at www.palmra.com  On the page is the rulebook for our CPR class.  This is a stock engine, stock RPM class.  Maybe present it to your club, and go from there.  As far as some of these guys have gone in their engines be it time, money, research, whatever it may be, as the two big sanctioning bodies they could not go backwards or indeed they would loose members.  My opinion on an additional class has been discussed already in other topics.  There are pros and cons to an additional class, but I'm glad more and more people are looking at building with limited financial resources.  With enough interest a class of this type will have to be recognized!
Dean Jr.
Schopf & Frantz Family Mowtorsports
550 FX
505 CPR
161 CP and CPR
523 CPR
181 CP
and our newest driver
     *295 IMOW* Good Luck Ashers!

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
Here's something to think about. I don't come from a rich family. We make just enough to support my Dad and I racing. We don't have the bells and whistles on our mowers heck we didn't even have a tach, ran all by feel. We both ran the CP class which as Cycloneracer pointed out isnt a 'Budget" class. We just used our money in the right areas. AKA Chassis, with the exception of a couple clay tracks I had the best handling machine in the races I won. We had 650 into two motors and that was ARC Flywheels, my motor had a cam that I did some work for. Last year I took CP state champion and I was 1st in US points going into the Finals but the shift keys in the trans decided to go in the final race so I ended up 4th.
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline WilliamEnglish

• Turf Warrior
  • Riley English, Ellerbe Lions Club Park Jr. Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »
Its a well known fact that in racing...some guys just always do more with less.....there are also some who do way less with more. There is room for everyone in mower racing....but it is never as inexpensive as playing bingo on Saturday night. Even the least expensive class requires that the racer have SOME means....and SOME ability. Racing,as much as we would like to believe it is, is simply not for everybody. That's just the way it is. We don't need to continue to create classes...we already have classes from each end of the spectrum...least expensive to most expensive. I went to a kart race last night where there were 19 classes....some with as few as 3 participants. There were 7 classes with restrictor plates. I hope mower racing dosnt go that direction. We have plenty of oppertunity to start...and grow into the sport as it is.
SSR Racing
The Rocketshop!

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 06:16:38 pm »
ARMA is trying Mod XR at local level this year.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:06 pm »
I also hope this sport does not go to restrictor plates. There are better ways to even the playing field like stock only cams. Stock cams are easy to tech, and costs  can stay reasonable. just my 2cents.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »
I also hope this sport does not go to restrictor plates. There are better ways to even the playing field like stock only cams. Stock cams are easy to tech, and costs  can stay reasonable. just my 2cents.
How do you tech stock cams?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »
I too agree with Tommy. Guys try new things to get an edge, not always using money but rather ingenuity. If this sport turns into the crybaby type where you have the claimer rule, and the classes become 'spec' like, or restrictor plates allowed, I will quit. And I'm not a quitter at much in life. If you are not wanting to travel nationally like many clain they don't want to do, you need to talk to YOUR chapter at the LOCAL level where YOU do the racing. A smart club president will listen!! I promise!! Steps are being taken to help out but rome wasn't built in a day boys. The mod xr and cpr will take time to grow. But its coming.
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
ROOSTER- YOU GO THROUGH THE SPARK PLUG HOLE TO EACH VALVE, CHECK LIFT. DURATION CAN BE DONE WITH ALITTLE MORE WORK AND A DEGREE WHEEL.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »
ROOSTER- YOU GO THROUGH THE SPARK PLUG HOLE TO EACH VALVE, CHECK LIFT. DURATION CAN BE DONE WITH ALITTLE MORE WORK AND A DEGREE WHEEL.
Gotcha..wondered how. I have seen tech at cart races where they spec lifts, but never seen duration checked.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline monkeyward71

• Turf Warrior
  • might look bad, but dang shes fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »
very intresting thread here, im stuck in the middle on this one.. :confused:

the only thing that conserns me is the price of building the motors for these mowers. its extremely high to build one that isnt stock but yes if u wanna go stock go with a governed class. but, ive beat more money derived mowers with my stock motor than i ever would have thought but cant see what it will do nationally without putting a minimum of $400 into it... stuck between a rock and a hard place on this whole thread lol  :bash:  but i geuss its all in what you wanna do
Brett Craft
2010 pro-x/ outlaw
Craft Motorsports #71
"dont be a bottom feeder, hang it loose on the high and wild side"
brettc_71@yahoo.com

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 09:22:04 pm »
Gotcha..wondered how. I have seen tech at cart races where they spec lifts, but never seen duration checked.
USE A DEGREE WHEEL ON TOP AND DO 1 VALVE AT A TIME. YOU WILL NOT BE PERFECT BUT YOU WILL KNOW IF IT'S STOCK OR NOT.

Offline Rusty Moosbrugger

• Turf Warrior
  • Home at moose mountain speedway
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 12:30:27 am »
I think someone with the time can save tons of money building a mower but it does require alot of effort and finding people to do things for you sometimes. as a track owner and racer I will tell you most guys never get there mower handling properly first, then they have stuff done 1/2 you know then they say they need more motor or they have a motor and no handling I have taken mowers from other guys that i have done motors for that couldn't win and race that mower with the same guys and won more than once so it is not just the motor or the mower thats only 75 percent it's racing is not driving and when there are 2 really fast mowers and good drivers i have seen a 1/2 a track difference in the 2 mowers all you have to do is have the wrong air presure ie a pound or 2 and be off a couple teeth on the gearing and it is over. I will also say when you think your mower is as fast as it can be with what you have your probly not looking for the right thing i have been around a while and when we win we come home go through the mower and almost every time we find more things to go faster.. the guy that started this also said he was working on his 2 mower hu So the moral of the story money dosn't win all the time does it help yes but we have more hours in are mowers than money. also when we talk at how much we put into these mowers like i have 5000.00 into mine I have raced it for 3 years spent 500.00 a year in rebuiding things so 6500 devided by 3  = 2166.00 a year to have a natioal point winning mower I will stay racing for that oh and remember that 2166 goes down each year.and yes i started with all the best and it pays off in the long run. just my 2 cents since i could sleep tonight lol
2010 winner in arma northeast region in                                                  modx, supersportsman and single supermod
2010 winner in arma nationals in
modx and single supermod  3rd in supersportsman

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:34 am »
I can't sleep either Rusty, working 7pm to 7 am shifts until? But I do agree with you. Each machine I build runs around 240 hours to fabricate, granted I get a little carried away on some things, but thats part of it for me. I choose to run both the local and National level, I only missed your race last year because you had to move the date and it interfered with a local that I needed to support. Other than that I made every ARMA race.

I too am concerned about the cost, that's one of the reasons we (ARMA) decided to add another what we hope to be a less inpensive class to encourage people to enter out sport. This is still one of the less expensive sports out there, we have choices, run an affordable class or go for a National Title, there is plenty of room in between and money WILL NOT win these races. It helps as you said, but the person who measures each track, keeps records of what gear works with what length track and factors in the type of track, be it oval, or whatever is the person who gets all the little things right that contributes to the machine being able to get to the front.

Restrict us and the fun is gone, so am I.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 07:53:11 am »
This thread seems mighty familiar to me for some reason... Hmmm, can't quite put my finger on it...
                                                                        :hmmm:
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com