Author Topic: 12 volt generator  (Read 10399 times)

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
12 volt generator
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:31:28 am »
 I would like to share something that i built this winter with everyone here. Build is complete already but I have a few pics. As i was spending the weekend ice fishing, like I do every weekend in the winter. I had noticed that our battery was dying and did not want to head home to charge itso we could keep fishing. (My 110 Generator will not run a battery charger without burning it up) I decided to build a 12 volt generator to charge batteries and have the ability to pull lots of power at one time if needed. figured it was worth a shot. So the next week I started the project. it started out with a 3.5 hp Briggs and a NIB 100 amp GM alternator. Happened to have everything i needed at home and did not have to spend a penny.
This was the first prototype. after wiring it up I got about 6 hours of use out of it until the bolt holes started to wallow out and things got loose. Now that old push mower frame that i have had laying around is gonna be handy.

There it is. Nothin fancy but it works. I can charge a dead car battery in very short amount of time. 14.2 volts of constant power. Thanks for looking. Any questions feel free to ask.
If mowers are a habit then I need an intervention

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 12 volt generator
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:09 am »
It was fairly simple to make. The hardest part was figuring out what wires went where on the alternator, as this is not the type of alternator that people use to build these. After getting the wires figures out everything was downhill from there. The local Napa owner here in town told me that a 3 hp briggs would not spin the alternator after turning on the power switch, and that i could not do it. I am gonna stop up there and show him someday here soon just to show him it can be done. I also did not change the alt. pulley to a "v" pulley, I just left the serpentine one on there. After just a few minutes of run time the donated belt had wore nice grooves in it and it does not slip.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »
Pretty cool! I've seen people make all kinds of generators/chargers out of car alternators. I saw a few people that actually made their own wind turbines out of them and just used the fan blade out of a car as well.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »
very cool build. :D
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
very cool build.
Thanks. my favorite part about the build is that i did not have much reference to look at. I found a few sites online that had tutorials on how to do it, and a few videos on youtube but nothing that reakky fit my budget. all others used a Delco-Remy standard number 10 alternator with simple wiring. The one i used was a little more complicated. I finished it up tonight by adding a toggle kill switch for the engine and a lighted power switch for the alternator. Will be getting an analog volt meter from the local parts store on payday to finish it up completely.

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »
post pics when done.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:20:58 am »
will have pics soon, with better quality hopefully. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of voltage meter to use. I have some ampmeters off of a few mowers but dont know if i like that idea, them gauges were never very accurate

Offline swbeebe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:29 am »
Just use an auto type 2.5" gauge for amps and volts. Usually you can find them cheap. Your running a car alternator, and charging car batteries. So why not?
Scott Beebe
Ithaca NY.

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »
got the toggle switches wired in today. One turns on the alternator and the other kills the spark to the engine. Also installed an extension and elbow to the oil drain so that oil changes will be quicker and simpler without such a mess. Then I removed the throttle lever that controls the speed and set the engine up to run at about 2000-2400 rpm at all times.

Also ran the ground wire through the bottom plate and under the mower frame to keep it neat and clean. I will have to get some sort of rubber grommet to put between the sharp edges of aluminum and the wire that goes through the hole to keep from wearing through from the vibration.

The Positive cable runs through the divider plate that seperates the engine/Alt side from the battery, Did this because this is the more important wire and being able to see it might save trouble in the long run. Also will need to make a grommet for this one as well

Offline dynamark227

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:56 pm »
maybe a silly question, but one that i cannot get a firm answer on. could i run an electric engine to run an alternator and charge a battery giving me, say, 1.5-2X the input power? ive been thinking..

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:09:55 pm »
No. But if you figure it out I will back the prototype. This would also make the United States complety free from foregn oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »
that would almost be like using a battery to run a power inverter that is powering a battery charger that is hooked to the same battery. you could never create as much power as you need to actually charge the battery

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »
maybe a silly question, but one that i cannot get a firm answer on. could i run an electric engine to run an alternator and charge a battery giving me, say, 1.5-2X the input power? ive been thinking..
you can use an electric motor to power an alternator to charge the battery than runs the electric motor, however, nothing is free, so eventually it will quit...
have even seen guys build some pretty cool tig welders using a common alternator from a car!
as for the electric motor powering the alternator that charges the battery, here ya go....interesting stuff...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

anything