Author Topic: Newbie questions concerning rules A/P class  (Read 3120 times)

Offline usmc1

• View Profile
Newbie questions concerning rules A/P class
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:57:57 pm »
I'm looking to build an A/P mower and here are a couple of questions. I apoligize ahead for this lengthy post. I'm just anxious to build and I want to do it correctly the first time.
#1 Can you upgrade just the hood and not the fenders?

#2 I have the Murray wide body LT hood and one piece floorboards/fenders. I'd like to use the Murray Lt sheet metal on an older Murray 8/30 lawn chief. To do this I would need to cut the existing floorboards off the lawn chief since they were stamped as part of the frame. Is this legal?

#3 Can I add a piece of plate in conjunction to the frame where i plan to locate the axle higher on the frame. I'm not changing the wheelbase just moving the axle higher. The hangars for the axle would bolt through the the stamped metal frame and plate.

Thank you for your responses.
by the way I live in Northern VA.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Newbie questions concerning rules A/P class
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 03:50:10 pm »
#1 Can you upgrade just the hood and not the fenders?

Yes you can as long as it looks like it belongs there

#2 I have the Murray wide body LT hood and one piece floorboards/fenders. I'd like to use the Murray Lt sheet metal on an older Murray 8/30 lawn chief. To do this I would need to cut the existing floorboards off the lawn chief since they were stamped as part of the frame. Is this legal?

No.. I doubt this would pass  Tech... BUT if you building a back yard toy go for it.

#3 Can I add a piece of plate in conjunction to the frame where i plan to locate the axle higher on the frame. I'm not changing the wheelbase just moving the axle higher. The hangars for the axle would bolt through the the stamped metal frame and plate.

Yes you can
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline usmc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 04:14:32 pm »
Thanks George. I appreciate the response. What would you think techs reason for not passing if I were to cut the existing floorboards off? I plan to "discreetly" reinforce the frame. or could I cut the one piece Murray where floorboards end and the fenders begin. I'm not talking about a hack job. I grew up doing auto body and fender work and am currently a helicopter mechanic of 12 years. Thanks again.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 04:36:57 pm »
Well being ex-tech what you describe is a stamp pan chassis/frame. You can't cut the exisitng running boards off as its part of the chassis as a whole. I am not saying it won't pass now days if its done clean enough and looks good enough it may. Tech is not as technical as it used to be. Why don't you use the whole Wide body or do you simply have only the body work. We have several racers here using it as a AP and FX with great success. As for cutting the rear section I did cut mine right at the base of the dash all the way across. So I could remove the fenders to gain access to the tranny and rear drive components with out having to remove the dash and steering assy.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline usmc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:58:43 pm »
I do have the wide body frame. I just thought it would be easier to use the old Murray since it was already set up with a peerless 700 not a whole lot of extra fabrication = less cost. Plus I like the short wheel base of the old Murray. I'm having a hard time seeing how I could lower the wide body frame in the rear and still use the original frame for mounting the axle. maybe I'm just reading to much into that rule and not seeing the trick.
Thanks again

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:33:59 pm »
Let me get home and I will send you some pics of a lowered wide body. You will love it. And the longer wheel base makes for a great handling mower. Very Stabil. And not as much fab work as you think. Here At EC where I work we make a tranny plate specifically for that wide body chassis. Bolt on or weld on. The frame of the other will flex under race conditions where the tranny mounts and cause considerable belt issues.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP