Author Topic: Best Mower to use....  (Read 5037 times)

Offline GrassRunner5

• View Profile
Best Mower to use....
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »
I am new to Mower racing. And i wanna run either the f/x class or the b/p class.  Which would be the best mower to build into my monster? I do have a craftsman 2 that i stripped down last night. I was wondering if it would be easier to build a different make of mower. Any information will be great. My mower don't have to be ready till april of next year. But wanna Git-r-done.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Best Mower to use....
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:33:08 pm »
Welcome to MowBetter!

Given options offered above, probably the BP, the mower you have there is going to be a bit large and heavy for FX. If you want to go FX look for something smaller and lighter, typically read 60's or earlier vintage, not much more than hood, floorpan, and a seat in configuration.

You are aware however that BP engines do get rather spendy? You might want to consider starting with an SP, where this chass would fit right in. And... if you're lucky and have a 12 hp, rather than the usual 11 hp craftsman setup, you could also use this engine as the basis for your racing engine. 

Offline GrassRunner5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:01:19 pm »
Thanks for the info. mowdak.  the bp class, is that a twin cylinder motor?  if so  what is the best mowtor to get my hands on? It can be just a stock motor.(Father inlaw owns a Lawn mower engine repair shop). He has the things to build my mowtor. 

Offline GrassRunner5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:34:19 pm »
is there any place that i can get some pics of how to mount the rear end?  i was looking at the front axle. are they a solid mount peice(welded onto frame)  or does the bolt from the factory hold it in? I am still a little confused on the belt drive system from the motor to the peerless trans. :confused:

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:00:58 pm »
Yep BP would be twin cylinder engine, rated 20 hp or less. Guaranteed to get your attention when you crack the throttle.

Not to be disrectful or anything, but... Father-in-Law may have the things to build your motor; does he however, have the knowledge and experience to build it to turn 6500 - 7000 RPMs. Because that's where it's got to go, and we're talking way outside the parameters most small engine guys are accustomed to working with, and there are a few interesting little twists involved in making it turn that fast.

Pictures of mounting rear end and belt to Peerless Trans...see the G-Team Chassis Slideshows and go down to the Racing Mower Build board and check out a few of the threads there. 

Front axle is welded solid... no center pivot bolt when racing. 

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 08:02:13 pm »
I would suggest starting out in the "Build Section" of the forums here..

Lots of pics and they are generally worth a thousand words...

Once you get the basics down you can refine your search to specific areas of building...

Lots of different options and opinions on the "proper" or "best" way to build...

Not sure where your located, but even better than pics would be to go to a race and see what the guys are actually running...Most will be happy to "show and tell" the various aspects of their rides...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline GrassRunner5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
Id like to thank you all for your great imput. As i am a rookie at this stuff. any ideas on a good motor combination for the f/x class since i might lean to running that class, there was 9 of them at our local track this past saturday. they were running a 5hp go kart racing engine.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 03:53:50 pm »
The biggest one you can run in FX is 465cc 28 cubic inches.
Flathead or OHV, they both scoot.... with the right massaging.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"