Author Topic: Performance Carb for 17hp single?  (Read 9456 times)

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
Performance Carb for 17hp single?
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:02:39 am »
I'm looking into replacing the stock carb on my Tecumseh OHV17 17hp single cylinder with some sort of performance enhanced unit.  I've heard Tillotson is a good way to go.  Anyone have any suggestions of what I should be looking for?  The engine is otherwise bone stock minus governor removal.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Performance Carb for 17hp single?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:11:51 am »
E.C. Distirbuting/Tillotson can massage the original Carb into a beast. That is the very exact carb I run on my twin. And it is awesome. Ask anyone thats seen it run. Gives us a call for tilly questions ask for JON
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:27:54 am »
E.C. Distirbuting/Tillotson can massage the original Carb into a beast. That is the very exact carb I run on my twin. And it is awesome. Ask anyone thats seen it run. Gives us a call for tilly questions ask for JON

I had given that some thought, but I have to admit I'm a little hesitant to dump a bunch of money into a carburetor that doesn’t have even one adjustment provision.  Plus I’ve been told that using a float-less carb will help prevent 'cutting out' in the turns.

Any ideas there?
Mike

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:04:57 pm »
I'm not sure Mike, but I think they may build the adjustment provisions into them. I think
George's record speaks pretty much for the carb. If you aren't running all the threads, he's gone for the weekend, gonna be a day or two before you hear back from him. You can try the askEC forum link in his signature, not sure if Jon frequents that over the weekend, but there should be a thread or two concerning any questions you have there.

Offline bnjmik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 04:45:32 pm »
I'm in no hurry.  The season is over for the year, and I have all winter to tear this thing down and work out the bugs for next year.  I won't have time this weekend to make any calls anyway.

I would like to hear the ideas of others as well if anybody has any.

Mike
Mike

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:28 pm »
I am back, While we are very confident in out Tecumseh carb work the jetting is adjustable only mechanicl. meaning you replace jets we make for it. Simply request extra jets if you want to play with it. I can make the main adjustable by needle if preferred. Remeber we build carbs custom.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline crocco58

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »
Tillotson carb are pretty dam good in my book
i riden one with one on it and you can tell the differance in power!
Team Preferred Charters #58
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing Association

eddiehenjr

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:23:55 pm »
My friend's minibike ran a tillotson carb on a 3.5hp tecumseh.  Ran great and was much more conventional than the stock carb.  Then he baught an alcohol kit and high compression head and it ran even better  :badgrin:.  Still holds up great to this day... the carb that is  :lol:  He blew up the motor  :doh:  so he got a 5hp and put the tilly on that and it works awesome!

Offline crocco58

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 03:43:13 pm »
that would be a bitching bike
Team Preferred Charters #58
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing Association

eddiehenjr

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 04:04:36 pm »
Ooooh yes it was!  He only had a single centrifugal clutch so it wasn't even under a load.  Then I hooked him up with a torque converter clutch, and it did fly!  Till he blew it up that is.  His 5hp isn't even as good as the 3hp and it runs on alcohol.  The 3hp put out more RPMs.

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »
I highly suggest replacing the rod in that motor with a billet one, Tecumseh's stock rod's are terrible  :noplease:. I wouldn't go over stock rpm with out one in it ;)

eddiehenjr

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:58 pm »
That's how he blew up the 3.5  :lol:  The 5hp he's still runnin with the stock rod, but it seems to be holdin up ok.  He's actaully got a governor on it, just turned up a little.  Still pukes oil though  :noplease:  I guess if it's runnin on alcohol and all that's all it's doing is puking oil, he's sittin pretty  :lol:

Tom the Canuck

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:30:42 am »
has anyone tried the mikuni round slide carbs on a mower?

there are a lot of harley conversions to run big minuni's,and they are super adjustable in my books.

i'm sure georges carb woulb be the absolute best,but if you wanted to do some tinkering i think this would work well, and you can pick them up off e bay reasonably cheap.

i know i'm going to try this on my opposed twin, i might even try duals if i can find the time and the funds...

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:12:43 am »
What really matters is whats "allowed" in the rule book...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

eddiehenjr

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 08:28:26 am »
has anyone tried the mikuni round slide carbs on a mower?

there are a lot of harley conversions to run big minuni's,and they are super adjustable in my books.

i'm sure georges carb woulb be the absolute best,but if you wanted to do some tinkering i think this would work well, and you can pick them up off e bay reasonably cheap.

i know i'm going to try this on my opposed twin, i might even try duals if i can find the time and the funds...

That's what he fist used on his mini-bike before the alcohol endeavor.  He had a Skidoo Safari XL sled with a 377 twin cylinder and he ended up junking it (oil injection broke and he burned it up) but it was a piece of crap anyways.  But it had the big cylinder in the middle and like a piston instead of a butterfly.  He had to adjust it WAY down (from a 377 to a 3.5 horse) and it ran great.  No backfires, no stutters, priceless piece of machinery.

anything