Author Topic: low budget builds  (Read 7594 times)

Offline scoot8801

• View Profile
low budget builds
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:56:44 pm »
Not sure if this will be useful to anyone or not. I've noticed alot of folks trying to do loow budget builds and one way I have kept a budget low is by scavenging an old snowmobile. The front ends have alot of the heim joints that we use. Steering components, and depending on what kind of sled it is you can use alot of the front end as square stock to stiffen up the frame. And alot of sleds have aluminum tunnels which makes a nice hood or alot of flat stock which could be utilized for lightweight body panels or covers.

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: low budget builds
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:48:03 pm »
Your right but what about us in the south we dont have snowmobiles. Snowmobiles do have alot of things that can be used some have good braking systems on them some cats have used wilwood .
William Glass jr

Offline flyinBranch

• AHLMR ACP
  • Turf Warrior
  • AHLMR Local chapter president
    • View Profile
    • American Heartland LawnMower Racers
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:41:47 pm »
i built a mower 3 years ago for 100 dollers and didnt use anything that didnt come on the mower. The 100 dollers went to heim joints,belt,and oil. And every one knows what the back of it looks like cause they cant catch it.
Live like a legend, Ride like a cowboy, Party like a rock star.
Larry Benning #36X

Offline scoot8801

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »
carolina blue try a 2wd four wheeler or maybe a goof cart

Offline monkeyward71

• Turf Warrior
  • might look bad, but dang shes fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:43:09 pm »
i can honestly say ive never seen a snow mobile except on tv  :omg: lol
Brett Craft
2010 pro-x/ outlaw
Craft Motorsports #71
"dont be a bottom feeder, hang it loose on the high and wild side"
brettc_71@yahoo.com

Offline tonykummrow

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:20 am »
i can honestly say ive never seen a snow mobile except on tv  omg lol

Thats alright your are not missing much. me and the wifey both have sleds and they are fun thats for sure but they are a money pit that you can never have enough money for. and parts are very expensive
If mowers are a habit then I need an intervention

Offline meanmachine

• Turf Warrior
  • #3-D Race Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »
very good idea i to took some steering parts from a sled also with some mods i built a chain tenisoner from a chaincase tensioner
Sometimes i use my own ideas, even if others think i'm wrong.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:43:38 pm »

IF ANYONE GETS THEIR HANDS ON AN EARLY TO MID 70'S SKIDOO TNT PLEASE PM ME BEFORE YOU SCRAP IT!!!

i can honestly say ive never seen a snow mobile except on tv  :omg: lol

Oh man they're a blast. If you ever get the chance (say on a vacation or skiing or something) you need to ride one. Ever been on a Jet Ski before? It's **kind of** the same feeling.

Thats alright your are not missing much. me and the wifey both have sleds and they are fun thats for sure but they are a money pit that you can never have enough money for. and parts are very expensive

Not necessarily true, it just depends on what you have. I own a pair of vintage snowmobiles. One is a 1973 TNT 340SE, and my other one is a 1974 440. I got the 340 given to me and the only money I put into it was a new battery and a coil. It's an awesome sled, especially being how old it is, the thing has a speedo, tach & electric starter. Man, I love electric start. The 440 I bought from a guy off craigslist for $200. It's bare-bones, no tach, no speedo, only pull start, and the lighting runs off the A/C stator. No DC current on this one. Only thing I've done is replace the spark plugs. I've been driving it around on 2 year old premix and it runs like a champ. One-pull starts all the time, even after sitting all spring/summer/fall.

Actually, my landloard has a REALLY beat up '88 that he had given to him. They were having trouble with the engine, and his grandson was showing it to me. He was like "It doesn't start and it won't even turn over". I went and yanked on the pull cord once and it fired right up. All he kept saying is "HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?!" It sat for three years under a tree in the woods because some kids rolled it and just left it there.

And this is from a guy that HATES SkiDoo's...  :lol:
All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

Offline monkeyward71

• Turf Warrior
  • might look bad, but dang shes fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
[/b]
Oh man they're a blast. If you ever get the chance (say on a vacation or skiing or something) you need to ride one. Ever been on a Jet Ski before? It's **kind of** the same feeling.

thats a big nope on that lol, never rode a jet ski neither or went skiing lol  :bash: dang.
Brett Craft
2010 pro-x/ outlaw
Craft Motorsports #71
"dont be a bottom feeder, hang it loose on the high and wild side"
brettc_71@yahoo.com

anything