Author Topic: tranny?  (Read 15427 times)

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: tranny?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 12:30:52 am »
Not so sure if any drag racers are running them but I know some circle track guys do and love them!!! Some of the fx machines and the super mod/outlaw twins with verticak shaft motors are using them with great sucess and those big nasty twins make upwards of 80 plus horse!! You will be fine with it. They are really pretty simple. Its a cast iron box, has an input and output shaft with bevel gears inside. Add oil and abuse it!!! They are stout!! Some are 1:1, some 2:1 it just depends. But on another note, if you are dead set on using a transmission, ya might look into a 400. They are basically a 600 transaxle center section and are also very strong. I have a friend with a healthy kohler bp tractor and said he raced it for 2 seasons before he decided toi change the oil and everything inside looked great!! Hope this helps
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:37:46 am »
George and a host of others run the 1000 series ragb's with great reliability, you can also find many other ragb's on ebay, the 1 to 1 ratio boxes are probably the strongest due to both gears being the same size, the peerless boxes are cast aluminum but hold up fine to major HP, just mount them to some 1/4'' steel plate and don't worry about them.... ;)
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

baborz

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »
Haven't found a transmission that will hold up to a stout engine on asphalt. I've broke all of the ones I've tried. I finally stopped building draggers(they don't drag 'em around here anyway). I would recommend going with a differential from a salvage yard from ...oh...say a 2000 Honda CRV(the rear diff. from an all wheel drive version) or a Dana Spicer unit from an old golf cart. If you want to run 1 gear you'd better have one HECK of an engine or be running nitro-methane/methanol mix(if you can get away with it),I've found a 2 gear to be the most efficient setup(with a powerful modified 16.5hp O.H.V. Briggs engine. In my opinion, trying to run lawn equipment on the drag-machines is ....well .....kind of like.....OH THERE IT IS..... :bash:....Yea, That.....