Author Topic: ap tire size  (Read 6568 times)

Offline mowerracer313

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
ap tire size
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:20:05 pm »
Im buildin an ap using a rugg chassis  what size tires does most people run
I was thinkin 13-6.50-6 all the way around the mowchine  is that too much tire for the smaller hp
Is too much traction a bad thing
Brian Singsime
Always In Mowtion Racing
Super Sportsman #313

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
ap tire size
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:29:34 pm »
You know Brian, that's a good question...

If you read about the middle of my AP build up thread, George talks about (suggests) narrower tires for "more" traction...

It comes down to contact area and weight on axle/tire

You only have so much weight on front and rear axels...a narrow tire will have more Lbs/sq.inch (pressure) and technically should "dig in" and have more traction..as well as have less rolling resistance "pushing" thru the loose stuff...(per low horse power)

Although, if you have enough "weight" on the axel...(rear?) a wider tire at the same lb/sq.inch ratio should have more "gripping" area...

But then think of these  scenerio...

Two big wide tires on the rear...solid axel...lots of weight..."IF" you have "too much" traction on rear..it'll be harder to steer...overpowering front...

Or look at trucks in the winter..which have better traction...little "skinny tires digging in and moving snow...or the big fat "mudder tires" that float and slip and slide...??

On a high traction surface like say asphalt or "sticky" wet clay...wider tires offer more "contact" and traction..but we're often racing on loose dirt and grass...

Gonna be interesting... Hopefully we'll get more input..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowerracer313

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
ap tire size
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:50:04 am »
another question
how wide a rim should one use for a 13-6.50-6 tire to get the best footprint out of the tire
Brian Singsime
Always In Mowtion Racing
Super Sportsman #313

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
rim width
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:18:54 pm »
I have 15-5.00x6 tires that I am going to try and I got the widest steel rims I could find then split them and widened them out to 6" wide and mounted them with tubes. They look real good the sidewalls come out wider than the tread and it holds the tread nice and flat.
David Peters

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
ap tire size
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:19:52 pm »
Most race tires recomend on the front the same size rim as the tire. the rear an inch wider than tire. Example front tire of 13x6.50(width of tire)x6 should be on a 6.5 inch wide rim. If same tire is used on a rear it should be on a 7.5 inch wide rim. All about tread to ground and sidewall flex. I generally run a 7 1/4 wide front rim on a 6.50 tire  and a 8 inch wide rin on a 7.5 inch wide rear. This is a BP. I have found with lawn tires 1/2 wiider than tire size seems to work best for me.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything