Author Topic: Let's Build an F/X..!!!  (Read 326071 times)

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Build an F/X..!!!
« Reply #465 on: December 20, 2007, 12:10:16 pm »
Wow. That's the best parts site I've ever seen. You just saved me hours of fiddling around. Thanks!!!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2008, 10:52:42 am »
Hi Squidd,
Had a question for you. I was trying to determine what would make for a good seating position for my FX build. After doing some thinking, I see that I came to the same conclusion that you did, which would be that it would be better to mount the seat a bit higher so you'd be leaning over the steering wheel a bit.That would bring more weight towards the front.  I tried this and it seems to feel better anyhow. It also gives me more legroom for the pedals since the build is rather short. I'm 5 ft 7", so the shorter build isn't a big issue. I plan on mounting the seat almost directly over, or slightly in front of the rear wheels.

Anyhow, I was seeing how your seat position worked out for you. How prone are these types of mowers to flip backwards? Thanks in advance.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2008, 11:31:12 am »
Not as bad as you might think, but it is a compilation of things which will get you to flip...

They get great traction with the wide Kart tirea (but you want that)
The seat can be forward, even or Back of the axle (forward is better)
HP and Torque "powers" the upward travel (Hp and torque are good)
Clutch engagement probably plays the biggest role (lower from dead start/higher on rolling start)
And of course how long you hold the go lever down (hold down go fast)

If you get three or four of these working against you....your going over.. but for the most part they are pretty stable..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2008, 12:08:17 pm »
That's good to hear then. I suppose handling will come with practice then. I'm going to drill a few adjustment holes for the seat bracket in case there is a slight back flipping tendency. Anyhow, thanks for the input. Building will go as planned!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
OK last trip out (Tennessee Invitationals) I snapped a crank and didn't get to race...

Long ride for no track time  (Sami did win her class though so we had plenty to celebrate)

I decided I need a back up motor for just such occasions, or at least a spare crank in the trailer to save the day... I run a shortened stub crank balanced to my rod and Piston so just "any" crank wont do (I know Don warned me about running "special" parts) so I'll just make more...

My current motor is repaired and running and will become my backup and next seasons motor will be bad as I can get it (I won't go bigger,even though some places let you run them and some people run them where they shouldn't ... rules state 465cc and I'll stand for a displacement check any day they do them... )

You've already seen the roller rockers I got from George at EC...

Mounted on a fresh head two angle valve job and porting...well lets just say George and I had a long talk (no he didn't give away his hard earned secrets but he did tell me where to look for enlightenment ...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:04 pm »
Cranks are shortened for clutch clearance, then the Syncro lobes are trued to the shaft

Weights are cut on a mill for consistency and welded on in proper position

If your gonna steal someones ideas, at least give credit where it is due... I got a lot of these by "reverse engineering" parts I purchased from Don at G-Team...this based on his techniques that he shares in his videos I just took the idea and made it out of hard steel...

So please don't ask for weights and measurements and part numbers... Buy your Parts from Don...and go from there...

I hope your taking all this as a compliment Don... Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery  :D
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2008, 09:19:01 pm »
As long as I'm in there setting up the pan, I machined out enough space to insert a thrust bearing for the crank to ride on...

These are relatively common parts if you know where to look... and I've mentioned my favorite parts house a number of times...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2008, 09:51:40 pm »
Hey Squidd, what caused your crank to break. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? thanks
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:52 pm »
I been doing alot of research on this. I feel that especially with the amount of compression we run on these OHV motor's that we run way to high a timing. These motors on gas should run no more than 30* btdc timing. And the only way to get that right is using a degree wheel and dail indicator. Simply put the more timing you use the harder hit that crank takes when it fires. Fuel grade plays a role also.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2008, 10:02:38 pm »
Ok George, makes sense, I just started running an arc flywheel. What timing mark would be the best one to run to avoid this but still make good power? Thanks
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:30 pm »
I would have to say advanced timing as well, along with the poor fuel grade I used that day...

Those are the only two things that changed from winning at Medford one week (after a full year of no troubles whatsoever)  and snapping the crank during warm up two weeks later...

I advanced the timing to the middle of the ARC range that day and the fuel I used was less than 25% 110 and 75%  89 oct.   50/50 might have helped...

I usually run at the first or second mark on the - side of the wheel...and 50/50 turbo blue and premium
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »
FULLnegative. Not all are the same. But using a stock key thats as close as you will get to 30 without retarding. Least wise on the one's I have checked recently.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline 97supra

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 19, 2008, 09:56:57 pm »
wowowow  Squidd   this mower is really sweet. I dont wanna be annoying, but where did you people go to learn this stuff about timing and how to take a motor apart and make your own crank stuff etc..  LOL  id hurt myself =] good job squidd, and i really have to say Don   even if people copy your ideas, you are the true holder of the honor =P  good job everyone

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:28 am »
Hi Randy,
I was wondering about whether you have a problem running without fenders. Mine didn't come with any.Since we both have Grants mowers, I assume yours didn't either. Whether mine ever had them, I'm not sure. If that be the case, I am assuming that it's ok to run without them? According to ARMA, which is the organization we race under, if the mower came with fenders, you have to race with them.

If so, do you have any issues with mud getting flung up in the air? Thanks!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 03, 2008, 11:05:01 am »
Mine did not come with fenders...meaning it did not have fenders on it when I found it in the scrap yard... so I run without.

Al (Lawnmonkey) has one as well and does have fenders so he runs with them (check pictures 2nd page)

Even if you had fenders..in their stock size and location.... they would not help with mud flinging..Because now you are 10" wider...

Most of the mud in your face comes from your Front tires and the rear tires of the guys in front of you...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

anything