Author Topic: "How to reseat valves" Video (for flathead and OHV) for beginners  (Read 16356 times)

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
  • lawn mowers, guitars, and high voltage!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Hey i made a video a while back about how to do a valve job, or reseating valves whatever you want to call it, this should be good for people who haven't done a valve job before I talk about how to do it on a flathead and on ohv, which is basically the same. just thought I'd help some people... I will have more videos in the spring on rebuilding engines and other small engine related videos. thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrds-2Pcog

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
RE: "How to reseat valves" Video (for flathead and OHV) for beginners
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:47:00 pm »
Brace yourself

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:45:32 pm »
I hate to sound harsh but that is a poor explaination of a valve job. And I know i should not grip if I don't offer a solution. Just my 2 cents. Valve jobs are when you cut new and true angles on the seats and valve faces. Lapping is done only to locate the seat on the face of the valve after you have cut them.

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:32:03 pm »
I hate to sound harsh but that is a poor explaination of a valve job. And I know i should not grip if I don't offer a solution. Just my 2 cents. Valve jobs are when you cut new and true angles on the seats and valve faces. Lapping is done only to locate the seat on the face of the valve after you have cut them.

so what are you saying, it's not a valve job? just reseating valves? i've always called lapping - reseating valves a valve job, i guess people have different names for things, not saying your wrong, just this what i have always called a valve job. i guess a true valve job would be replacing valves?

Offline Roger S

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »
Lapping valves is... lapping valves.

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »
Lapping valves is... lapping valves.

yeah lol i've always called it a valve job or reseating or lapping

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:28 pm »
... Valve jobs are when you cut new and true angles on the seats and valve faces. ...
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Old 66

• Old 39 Speedway Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »
Nope that is just lapping the valves
Mark Craft ,Super Stock # 66            Crew Chief for # 7 & # 71

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »
I dont agree with the negative comments about his video. I dont see anyone else posting a video of how to do something on here.
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »
I dont agree with the negative comments about his video. I dont see anyone else posting a video of how to do something on here.

thanks. thats why i am trying to do some videos, thats the main reason i'm on youtube is to make How to videos.
This is a quote from online...
"A valve job is an operation which is performed on any four stroke cycle, internal combustion engine, the purpose of which is to clean up the mating surfaces of the poppet valves that control the intake and exhaust of the air/fuel mixture that powers the motion of the pistons.

In the earliest automotive engines, the valves needed to be removed and the sealing surfaces sanded, ground or lapped multiple times during the life of a typical engine. As the decades passed, however, engines ran cleaner and the addition of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline meant that such maintenance became less frequent. Today, valve jobs are rarely done on passenger cars for the purpose of maintenance, although they are still quite common with high-performance cars.

Some older cars have relatively soft valve seats that wear faster when operated without leaded fuel. These usually can be updated with hardened valve seats that resist wear, regardless of whether leaded fuel is used."

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
my comment is not ment to be negitive. the process that is shown in video is just lapping a valve. it is not a valve job. a valve job would start with measuring the valve stem then measuring valve guide. if they are with in spec you could then reface or replace the valve your choice. then place a cutter on seat and put fresh surfaces on them. it really is more complicated then thay when you start doing performance valve jobs but that the basics. i wish i had the time to do video but it wouldn't do any good nobody has the equipment to do it right anyway (unless you have a shop)
i did look at some of your videos and some are informative. but people look at this site for good info and then when they get wrong info they lose confidence in our site. you could just rename your video and it would be great info because alot of guys couls benifit from it. todays engines sometimes just need a valve lap and good to go but its not a valve job. i'm done with this. people don't discuss machine work to much here because its very technical stuff that most will not understand without very long threads.

Offline guitarplayer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:03:34 pm »
my comment is not ment to be negitive. the process that is shown in video is just lapping a valve. it is not a valve job. a valve job would start with measuring the valve stem then measuring valve guide. if they are with in spec you could then reface or replace the valve your choice. then place a cutter on seat and put fresh surfaces on them. it really is more complicated then thay when you start doing performance valve jobs but that the basics. i wish i had the time to do video but it wouldn't do any good nobody has the equipment to do it right anyway (unless you have a shop)
i did look at some of your videos and some are informative. but people look at this site for good info and then when they get wrong info they lose confidence in our site. you could just rename your video and it would be great info because alot of guys couls benifit from it. todays engines sometimes just need a valve lap and good to go but its not a valve job. i'm done with this. people don't discuss machine work to much here because its very technical stuff that most will not understand without very long threads.

ok i understand what your saying. i will change the name of the video to partial valve job, and will explain it in the description. sound alright?
ok i understand what your saying. i will change the name of the video to partial valve job, and will explain it in the description. sound alright?

better yet i'll just say how to reseat valves

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »
 ;)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 10:06:08 pm »

It is a decent Video, for someone who has never lapped valves before it would be great, which I believe is actually the intended audience!

However the fool is correct, That is not a valve Job, that is laping. Mis-information is bad information.

He asked for comments, he got them..I would say rename it "How to lap valves" instead of "How to do a valve job" and it would be a good video!

:+1: For being helpful!
better yet i'll just say how to reseat valves
Or that, lol...beat me to it!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com