Author Topic: gear ratio question  (Read 6994 times)

Offline jlsparks

• View Profile
gear ratio question
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:53:50 am »
I am using a peerless 820 to dive a 1" live axle. Motor has a 3 1/2" pulley, peerless has a 8" pulley, tires are 33". I want to know what gears on transaxle and what gears on live axle will give me a low speed of about 1 or 2 mph and a top speed of 20 mph more or less. Is this even possible? Any thoughts? I am more  interested in low end power. Thanks for any help.

Offline benfield_boy

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: gear ratio question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
 So who are you runing with and what are the rules and we will go from there!  :)
NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!!! .....................ANYTHING is Possible.

Offline jlsparks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 12:53:56 pm »
Just got a lot of spare parts and plan to build something to run around on my ground.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:28:31 pm »
Stock has plenty of grunt on low end... I would stay with what you have for running around the back yard....
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline jlsparks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
Well I have some pretty rough trails so I wanted to make it wider. What do you think about sliding some 1/4 wall  tube with a few holes drilled in it over the axles and weld in holes to keep it on.Then add  some more old axles in the tube (weld the same way). I don't like that idea because its permanent and I hate to weld on the axles. I'm not sure set screws would it all together. I've seen your guys monsters and I guess more bearing support is not needed? Do you lock up the trans on your monsters?

Offline jlsparks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:31:25 pm »
Thanks for your advise Squidd. Maybe I will skip the live axle, just hope 1st gear is not too fast.