Author Topic: K341 Pulling Build  (Read 164746 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: K341 Pulling Build
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »
42s mr gasket pump works nice. That's what I use.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:08:05 pm »
Well when I first got into this we were required to run racing gas, but after switching to methanol I wished we would have done it sooner. I actually have less problems with methanol then I had with gas. You will have more torque, run cooler and it is cheaper. There is more consistency with a class running methanol than with a class running gas. The big difference is the jetting, once you have that then you are on your way! When I ran gas I used a blue Holley, a red will work fine also. With methanol I use a black Holley pump but swapped out springs in the regulator. There is a high pressure as well as a low pressure spring from Holley to use in their pressure regulators.
Bruce Litton

Offline fordman21

• "The Bandit"
  • Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »
I agree methanol is all around better, most folks aren't familiar with it so they stay away from it but its really easy to use and easy on parts.
Randy, those pumps you listed would feed a race mower with the same hp no problem but you always want to go a little overkill with the fuel pump on a puller. These guys are using pretty decent pumps that would feed a couple hundred hp easily, that's what you need. See if you can find something that is alcohol compatible just incase.
Ryan Kerr  519-332-9532
2007 Troy Bilt Grand National Super Modified Champion.
2008 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2008 All American Lawnmower Championsip Outlaw twins champion.
2010 WOO Outlaw/FXT class Champion.
2010 AAMC Twin Outlaw class Champion
2012 USLMRA FX/T National Champion
2012 SRAAUSO FXT Champion<br /

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 06:32:41 pm »
OK, so I will bump up the gpm on the pump selection, and use something that is methanol compatible...

I will probably stick with race gas/ turbo blue for now (cause I'm familer with it) and get the tractor sorted out... then I can move up to meth and more motor when I'm ready eo try NQS

I'm sure once I'm on the circut, I'll get advice from the guys I'm pulling with/against and become more familer with methanol usage
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »
I don't have any methanol advice or experience. But have experience with turbo blue in our mud racers and pullin trucks, and I have to say, I hate it! Lol I would run VP. The turbo blue we have problems with it turning into like a blue and white 'chalk' in the carb and regulator if it sets. When I say sets I mean we have had problems from one weekend pulling to the very next weekend. VP 116 does not do this. Hope this helps
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 06:27:45 am »
I would have to agree with that, when we were running gas we had the best luck with C16 from VP fuels, a bit pricey but it is good fuel!!
Bruce Litton

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:40 am »
Along the same lines as the pump, I'll need a tank for fuel, I've seen them with and without a "return" fitting...

Do I need a return fitting with a gas or alcohol setup and electric fuel pump?

I didn't use one with my gas Briggs and mechanical pump..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »
I would highly recommend a tank with a return line fitting. A constant flow fuel set up requires one.
Bruce Litton

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
Starting on the engine this weekend, block has been ported by Kerber before I got it, but valves look like stock 45* grind. I plan on 30 and 45* with under cut head and narrowing the stem slightly

Springs had billet retainers, but seem stock, they are shorter and not nearly as stiff as the ones Lakota sent me to match cam

On the block I plan on opening up the valve pockets by cutting in eyebrows to increase flow, and checked the bore, it's barely .003" out of round so I think I can clean that up by honeing

My plan at this point is to get what I have, up and running, and then next year upgrade the engine, (offset guides, bigger valves, offset bore, weld the block, steel crank etc..) so if there are any "low buck" or garage upgrades I can do , let me know...otherwise lets save the full blown engine build for next winters project.
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »
If I build an aluminum plate cover for the valve spring opening, will I need to vent either it or the block seperatly...?

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:28 pm »
Randy you can vent it there but hook it to a catch can. Or pop the freeze plug out of the governor hole and tap it for 1 inch pipe I believe and with a 90 degree fitting and short hose with a automitve style valve cover breather on top. I would leave the valve spring pocket cover stock and vent the block at the freeze plug
Theres alot of improvement to be had on the eyebrow area as with any flathead. Looks like alot of improvement on your block. A total seal top ring on that stock piston is a good idea. They look like stock valves with the margain moved up to the top (biggest useable diameter). If you want it strong shoot for at least 120psi cranking compression. Thats my experience anyway.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 08:47:21 pm »
are you planning to run NQS stock alter with this thing? lol

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:37 pm »
If I build an aluminum plate cover for the valve spring opening, will I need to vent either it or the block seperatly...?

So I could put a fitting in the govener rod hole...? and then tube to a catch can..?

Cylinder honed, eybrows cut and blended...this is the way I was shown for the Briggs flattys, so I would assume it will be of benefit here...

Got some old equipment, but it still works Ok, just need to polish the stems a bit more

I need to watch that video on Degreeing a Cam a couple more times tonight and maybe try my hand at it tomorrow...

are you planning to run NQS stock alter with this thing? lol

NQS is not out of the equation, I am considering their rules as I build (that's why I only went to 52" on the wheel base)

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline cubcadet70

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:31 am »
ha ha i would like to see you pull in NQS after u gain some experience at your local track!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 09:31:40 am »
Well it's all part of the master plan... I like the traveling, and after a few rounds with the same 5 or 6 "local" guys I'd be pulling against, it will be nice to pull against 10 or 15 in my class...

But I doubt I'll take an "untried" machine to a National event without haveing at least a few shakedown runs under my belt.
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

anything