Author Topic: STA-Bil Nationals, US OPEN Comments (BP)  (Read 3846 times)

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
STA-Bil Nationals, US OPEN Comments (BP)
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:48:48 am »
If you raced as part of the Sta-bil Nationals or US Open in the Big Twin class, comment here:
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

Offline fx28

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: STA-Bil Nationals, US OPEN Comments (BP)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:20:42 pm »
Well I had a great nationals weekend, it being the 18th that I have attended it was one of the more exciting nationals in some time for me. The week before nationals found me working on my mower going over anything that might have a chance to break and replacing it. Also I had the pleasure of Bobby Cleveland staying at our house as well we even found time to fix his nagging steering problem that he had been wanting to fix. Well, in the Macon make up race Bobby won the bp race and gave him 3 wins. That then made it possible for 4 different racers potential to win the championship depending on where we finished. Well I drew a high number and ended up starting in the 9th position with Rich Webb and Jayson Mikula starting 8th and 7th I think. I had a good start for once and got out in 6th position. I quickly manuvered in to the 4th place when the first caution came out. Rob Sparbel was in the lead with Jayson Mikula and then Jayson Brown in 3rd. When the green flag came out I realized that the adrenaline got the best of me as I did not restart in 3rd gear. I have done this in the past with no problems, I quickly shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear and blew the chain apart. This was the first time I had ever broken a chain. So that ended my chances to win the points championship for this year. I ended up going from being tied for first to finishing in 6th place. Anyhow I ended up watching the rest of the race up on the hill with one of my sponcers and good friend Denny Gerber. Rob Sparbel drove a heck of a race holding off Jayson Mikula for his first nationals win and Jayson getting his 5th BP title in a row.  What an accomplishment for Jayson Mikula!!!!   It amazes me how close the competition is in this class. It was a great time after the race with the Michigan group inviting the racers over for something to eat and swapping storys and a little skoaling. I have to say the Michigan group really made me feel like one of their own this year. Hats off to their group!!!! 

In the first ever US Open I was 2nd fast qualifier and started on the front row. I had a great start and held off Jayson Mikula for a win.  I have to say this was one best nationals in recent memory and would like to thank all my fellow racers for giving me some great memorys

Thank you very much
Chuck Miller

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »
I have had other folks that went to the Nationals, say that they really enjoyed meeting you Chuck.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »
I also had a great Nationals Weekend. This was my first and my Daughter, Kelsey and I had a great time. We qualified to run at the Nationals at Sparta and we are very glad we did. Kelsey, in the JP class, had a great start and ended up finishing 3rd. I really didn't think that her transaxle racer had a chance, but she drove it like a pro. In the Open she ended up in 2nd place. Wow, I was proud of her. She ended up 7th in the National points and brought home more trophies than her old Dad (which I hear about almost every day). Our affiliated clubs that we belong to (the Rough Riders and Ithaca Dirt Devils) are also very proud. I had a blast running with the Big Dogs of lawn mower racing. I was honored to be picked to be the spokesman for the BP class and was very nervous doing the interviews. Hope they edit it so I don't look so nervous. I had a decent starting position in 11th place and the LeMans start worked perfectly. I came out I think around 8th. My almost stock Vanny ran like a champ and was able to keep up for a couple laps. The fast ones were pulling away but not to fast. I was moving into 6th or 7th when a caution came out and I restarted 10th and stayed there for the finish. Good enough for me. The Open was even better as I started in the middle and worked up to a 5th place finish and got a trophy for the very 1st Open. It will be treasured for a long time. Now I know what I need to do to the racers and hope to come out very competetive next year. Met alot of people that I only knew online and it was a good time hanging out in the evenings. Just like Rooster said at the banquet, I came to hang out and visit at the campfires. I agree that we actually had more fun just visiting and talking and the racing was a great bonus. A 2 day bonus at that. Glenn VanEpps
I included the JP class in mine since you didn't have one for it. LOL
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »
Just like Rooster said at the banquet, I came to hang out and visit at the campfires.

I had to say that....did you see how I raced?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:19 pm »
Yes, but it is so true. Wish we could do it more often. Great hanging with you.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:59 pm »
Yes, but it is so true. Wish we could do it more often. Great hanging with you.
No no, you hang with Monkey, you Perch with me.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:00 pm »
Took it easy with parcheezy. To tired to hang or perch. Loved it all!
Glenn VanEpps
#14M

Offline follower of JESUS

• Turf Warrior
  • Acts 20:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:57:56 am »
For the us open I went out to practice with my Cromwell powered mowchine. The track was a little damp and it was hooking good and felt really good about getting a good starting position. We had experimented with different setups and this was the first race my new mowchine had been under full power. By the time qualifying came around the track had tightened up a lot. I hadn't realized it and made no adjustments. Needless to say it was so tight i was barely getting through the turns which caused me to start in 11th position in a tough field. Because of the time we only were able to run a 20 lap feature instead of the normal heat and feature. I made what I felt was the necessary adjustments would be.

Ok. Green flag....

When the Green dropped and we went into turn one, I realized we had made the right adjustments. After a few good maneuvers and a few cautions I found myself sitting in 4th position behind a fast mowchine running 3rd. As the remaining laps starting ticking off, I starting trying to find a good place to set him up to pass for the 3rd position but found he was having a hard time holding a consistent line. Just as we were taking the white flag, a caution came out which setup a green, white, checked. When the green dropped we grabbed the throttles. Going into turn one I hung it out a little high hoping to get an inside run going down the back stretch but he got on his late coming out and held the inside. Around we came, white flag. Coming out off turn 2 going down the back stretch, I knew my only hope was the same attempt I had made on the green, white, checked, hang it high going into turn 3 and hold it low coming off turn 4 for the checked. So that is what I did. When we came off the corner he got loose and pushed up the track and that put me in the perfect position to move up one mower position to 3rd as the checked flag dropped.

Awesome race and great time...
~BRIAN SMITH~
2011 Alabama State Championship Super Sportsman Champion
2010 All-American Super Sportsman/BP Champion
2010 ARMA Super Sportsman Nationals 2nd place
2009 Voted BTMRA Adult Driver of the year

Cromwell Racing Engines (username - Cromwell C4).. Great Guys Building Awesome Horsepower

Worship God and love people... nuff said.... now get busy!

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »
Last Call
Email me at story_teller911@yahoo.com or text/call me at 260-571-2638 if you're too embarrassed to post on the forum.
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

anything