Author Topic: Vanguard Resleeving  (Read 5317 times)

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Vanguard Resleeving
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »
The season is just about over here in the north and plans are being made on what to do to my engine. How big can I go on the cubes with starting with a 35 cid Vanguard? And is it feasable to do it?. I have ran with the US a couple of times and was middle of the pack with a stock 35cid with just a ARC flywheel and some EC valve springs and retainers. Very impressed with this engine. Planning on rods, pistons and cam over the winter also. Just wondering if I should punch it to 38cid with Intek pistons or go bigger?
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline RIZNOSS

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard Resleeving
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »
What type of RPM's are you planning to run? Are you using aftermarket head gaskets? Do you want to use aftermarket head gaskets?

The m38 head is a big improvement in flow over the 30/35, specially when ported correctly with proper valve seat machining and valves. Personally, I don't know what he limits are for the class you race but I do know that I have seen a M38 with a modified VG head turn out 70HP at 8800 rpm.

CRAZY

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »
USLMRA BP class. Must start with a max of 20 hp engine. I know people push this rule, but I will not. Open to all suggestions.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M

Offline markiemark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • North bay racing
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »
Well from my twin research when we selwcted the twin we run now (tecumseh) the vanny can be punched out to 38ci and use intek pistons. Best and cheapest way. Unless u find a 38 block cheap. Which on outside are same and all the 35 parts fit in and on. To take a vanny any bigger then 38 then you must offset bore it which is expensive. And you would have to talk to ryan of ryker racing since he has built a 43ci vanny which i know he said was a timly and very costly project.
Mark Laird
www.northbaylawnmowerracing.com
I think i can i think i can. Oops I CANT

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:30:02 pm »
What do you want a bottom end motor or top end motor. No substitute for cubic inches yet take a small motor bigger does in the long run shorten its life a bit. Boring to the 38 is within reason and should do a good job. Done several The 38 block is not exactly the same and a good keen eye and knowledgeable tech person can tell the difference. Thats just an FYI.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »
We all talked about this in the beginning of the season. I was just checking now that there will be time to do more. I would rather punch this one out then to start with a block that is outside the rules. Would resleeving the 35 to the 38 be a better way or just bore it out the way it is? I also have another 35 block that a rod let go. It cracked the sleeve and the block about 1/4" from the bottom of the bore. Can this block be saved with a new sleeve? Thanks all for the help so far.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:19:12 pm »
i would go with a cam and good carb and bigger valves  with to much hp hard to but it to the track just my 2cents
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline BigBird#32

• Turf Warrior
  • BigBird#32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »

I would go with a 35ci and rods,cam,valves.  It makes a real power house when you turn em up !

Andy Jarrell #32

http://mowersports.com/

" LETS GO RACIN' "

LETS GO RACIN' ! !

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »
Would resleeving the 35 to the 38 be a better way or just bore it out the way it is? I also have another 35 block that a rod let go. It cracked the sleeve and the block about 1/4" from the bottom of the bore. Can this block be saved with a new sleeve? Thanks all for the help so far.

Yes you can take a 35 to a 38ci without resleeving. No issues there. You can also go even bigger than a 38. PM me for more info on that.  8)  But I would run Arias pistons if you aren't on a tight budget. They are reasonable. And make sure you have a great set of cylinder heads and a matching camshaft. Thats where all the power lies in these engines, and any engine for that matter.

And as far as your other block goes, a new sleeve can save the block. But i'd thoroughly check it for cracks. I would much rather use a good block if you're going to sink some money in it. I wouldn't take any chances.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »
Ok, i will get ahold of you later and see what we can do.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M