Author Topic: About racing Lawnmowers..  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
About racing Lawnmowers..
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:55:02 pm »
Working on an article and need some input fellas.

1. Why do you race lawnmowers?

2. Why did you start racing lawn mowers?

3. What is the best part of a race?

4. How often do you win?

Anyone who doesn't want to answer in the open forum feel free to pm me the answers.
Thanks
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Ron Hendon

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: About racing Lawnmowers..
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:07 pm »
1. The competition

2. The competition

3. The competition

4.  Not enough
Lord, bless me with victory.  If not, bless me with the sportsmanship to accept defeat and the courage to say,  " I'll get em next time.... AMEN

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:20:02 pm »
1. I race mowers because it's simply a great time, the people, the competition, oh yea and good old dirt track open wheel racing.

2. I started racing mowers because I wanted to get into racing but couldn't afford a car and it looked fun.

3. The best part of the actual race is coming out of turn four to the green flag, side by side racing through turn one. BUT the best part of the day is after the races are over and everyone is hanging out having a good ol time.

4. You win some and you lose some, as long as it's a good race I have fun.
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:47:53 pm »
Because if you ain't racing mowers, You ain't really racing!!! Seriously though, there is no other motorsport that even comes close to the atmosphere the comradere or the down to earth grass roots of it. I can afford it most of the time I build it myself and I race it. Don't get no better than  that.

Got started on a dare. Won my very first event and never looked back. That was August 98.

Taking the green flag and the mad dash rush into turn one with a big pack of mowers all around you.

4. How often do you win?
Depends on who you ask... To some too much... to others not enough. To me!!! If I do I do, If I don't I don't really though its the thrill of the competition that keeps me going. And grooming my son to take over after me.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:17:42 pm »

You can race spending alot, or a modest amount, and still have fun.

Because I saw the look in my buddies eyes, as he was talking about, and it sounded fun. (He was correct)

Seeing folks pitch in and help get each other ready to race, then race in the same class, and be glad
they helped that person get in the race, even after they got womped on by them.

4. How often do you win?

I win everytime I get to race with my friends, and new friends I meet in the mower racing family.
Oh you meant hardware, I win just enough to keep me humble.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Wade1978

• AAMC - Official ALarm Clock
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 02:14:32 am »
the compitition, the people, the good time, and it gets me out of the house   :badgrin:

I was told to get a hobbie and had always wanted to get into racing but the high expence of most forms of racing had been a deturrent for years and then I heard about lawnmower racing and decided to give it a shot.   8)

to me sitting around in the pits listening to all the talk (and talking smack) before the race  :lol:

4. How often do you win?
not yet but i'm still trying   :doh:
Wade Chamblee #15C SS & SP
Hodges, Alabama
BTMRA Staff member and AAMC Alarm Clock
BTMRA Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BTMRA-Bama_Tenn-Mower-Racing-Assn/122035854484887
I'm just here trying to get there

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:32:25 am »

1. I race mowers because it is an oddball sport. I mean that in a good way though. I prefer to do things that are a bit extraordinary.

2. A close friend invited me to go to a festival in a town about 5 hours from the house. We watched our first lawn mower races there. On the drive home it was all we could talk about, by the next weekend we both had mowers and started our builds. Once biten by the bug, you gotta scratch the itch.

3. The perfect drift, and then coming around to find the line you had the perfect drift on is still there and not 'all rutted up', so you get to have the perfect drift again.

4. My 2009/2010 season ended with a box of trophies and second place in points at my club. I placed third at the Nationals in Florida. Funny thing though, I can be the only one in my class and still come in second.

Offline MowJoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:56:41 am »

I spent most of my life making a living working on them and being around them. I like building them and racing them it's a feeling of accomplishment to build it race it and win.

I thought what the heck I've raced everything else Bikes, ATV's, snowmobiles, and cars why not Lawn Mowers. I've worked on them I know them I can make them go fast  so I thought I have learned a lot since then.

Racing wheel to wheel through the corner hoping everyone around you holds there line.
J & K Yard & Sport, and used parts emporium.
Home of Mowjoe racing
Former President of the Barry County Grass Clippers
2010 Sportsman Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers
2011 Mod-x Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers

#55 JD 111 GPK
#05 AYP Gp
#67 Snapper Mod-x/CP 

When the green flag drops the Bull stops!

Offline racingjohndeere55

• Assistant Pot Stirrer
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I thought it was funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:01 pm »
 1. I have often asked myself that very question.

2. I started working at the local JD dealership. This is where I met Larry, ( Chief cook and head bottle washer of D&B Mowersports.) One day after work he said "come over the house, I want to show you something". Inside his garage is a mower, sitting up on the bench. He said "what do you think?" I said "looks like a lawnmower". "We race them" he replied .... Thats when the "look" came into play. You know, Its that suprised, kinda your a couple sandwiches short of a picnic look. I was, "oooooh kaaaaaaay..... I'll tell ya what, Ill help ya build them. But I really dont want to race them." Needless to say, I got bit test driving an idea and been doing it ever since.

3. The best part of the race is when its over, being able to laugh with and talk about the race with the people you where running with. I have made many friends through this sport. Probably some of the best people that this Great Nation of ours has to offer.  If, for no other reason. Its the people that make this sport.

4. Enough , but thats not what its about. Like my auto signature says " I race a lawnmower. How serious do you really want me to be?"

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:57 am »
1.  I race lawn mowers because I can afford it, and be competitive at the same time!!!  And it is awesome, by far one of the most thrilling things I have done.

2.  A friend of mine is an older gentleman and his wife told him that he could build one but couldn't drive it.  So I became the test dummy for some of his experiments.  Once I felt the rumble of a 20 horse vanny that I had built in a chassis that I had helped build it was love at first test run!

3.  The best part is helping a friend build a mower then competing with them.  The other best is the anticipation on the way to the track, or sitting on the grid waiting to roll onto the track.  Also, I love the getting to the front as much if not more than being in the front!!!!  Let me start 10th and watch the dust fly, i'm like a greyhound chasing the rabbit!!!!

4.  I win often enough to keep myself pushing for better, better out of myself, my equipment, and my teammates.  I like being beat by someone who is better, because it keeps me focused on being faster more competitive.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Racerchck51

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm just one of the guys.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:35 pm »
Why ya only wanna hear from the fellas rooster now my feelings are hurt +(
You know what I'm gonna give my opinion whether you want it or not Ha!

1.I race mowers because its something that I get to do with my family!

2. Um quiet simple I started racing to prove a point I was building the mowers, and helping work on the mowers that my dad and brother and a few of their friends were running!!!!!! Well I made a comment that I wanted to race! They said females shouldn't so I had to prove them wrong>

3. To me the best part of a race is the time in the pits between heats and features. There I have met some of my best friends, Close friends, and guys that I pretty much would kill for. You realize when you get into mower racing that you become part of a totally bigger thing a family! Thats there for you no matter what!

4. Ummm I have won a couple of the races I have raced, but I have also lost my fair share of them too.
Race for the little girl in the stands that you used to be!
The one that cheered for every racer no matter who they were!
The one that said Daddy, I can't wait to be on the track like them?

Jenny Wade

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »
Never raced anything other than an old car down a gravel road or on a go kart putt putt track but always been a race fan. This opportunity came around, all the details fell together and here I am…lovin every minute of it!

Having a cold one in the local hang out one night and someone mentioned seeing them on youtube, next thing I knew we secured a track location and several of us were building one. First lawnmower race I ever saw live or otherwise I was driving.

Green flag turn 1 and then the bench racing afterwards. We video tape the races and watch them directly following the race.

4. How often do you win?
Probably 50% of the time when I finish, that has not happened much this year but still lovin every minute of it!
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline David (Yardzilla) Wright

• Turf Warrior
  • David W. Wright
    • View Profile
    • Yardzilla's Home
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 01:22:17 am »

1. Why do you race lawnmowers? Its Fun, Its A Challange, Its Easy to Get Started.

2. Why did you start racing lawn mowers? Saw It, Tried It, Loved It!

3. What is the best part of a race? Getting To Race !

4. How often do you win? Every Now And Then

Anyone who doesn't want to answer in the open forum feel free to pm me the answers.
Thanks
David (Yardzilla) Wright
2009 CLMRA Super Stock Champion
2009 CLMRA Mod-X 3rd Place
2010 Cool Rides Monthly Winner
2nd Place For 2010 Cool Ride Of The Year
Driver # 82 404 & 302 Mowchines
Yardzilla Racing AP/Mini Sportsman,SP/Sportsman,GP/MOD-X-R
Web: http://www.zazzle.com/yardzillaracing
Sponsors:
CRUISERPARTS.NET
LadyBugsInTheAttic:www.facebook.com/LadyBugsInTheAttic
Reef Sail:http://reefsail.com/

Offline JohnB

• Turf Warrior
  • voodoo twin racing
    • View Profile
    • johnb
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:49 am »

Because of the fellowship of my fellow racers and the joy of it.

My father died and my brother got his mower out to deal with his emtions. I thought this is not for me. He filnally talked me into riding it. I rode around the back yard and did a donut and figure 8. I pulled up to him and said I have have one of these.

Crossing the finish line with nothing broke.[/quote]

4. How often do you win?

Everytime that I race because GOD blessed me with another race. Winning is in the running.

Earn your way, nothing is given to you!
D' Mow Letion

Offline outlawracer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »
     #1 Up until this year I raced for the fun of it all then this year changed everything I lost my 2 year old grandaughter to the hands of my sons exwifes boyfriend so this year I race for her and for therapy. In the garage by myself and her.

#2  I started out as a father/son project 13 years ago for a small town festivel .My son was 13 we built a mower for him that year.2nd year both sons and mine 5th year sons ,mine,wife and daughter.

#3 The best part of racing is by far the people from the local racers here to the clubs outside of our area that I have come in contact with are just amazing.

#4 For 12 years no race wins 2nd year points champion never had any wins best was second place this year all new racer made 4 races have 2 1st place wins oh what a feeling.

anything