Author Topic: To Build or Not To Build?  (Read 32348 times)

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
To Build or Not To Build?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 01:35:59 am »
Well I got it, but my printer is broke, and it's still in a file on my computer! :wink:

Only reason I ask is because this will be running factory pedals and all the linkage is there and hooked up. Clutch pedal is going to have to come off and be rebuilt, the sleeve over the shaft is worn and it wobbles back and forth when you depress it. Brake pedal on the other hand, is sound, solid as a rock!! Would also like to retain the lock downs both sides. Lock the clutch out and lock the parking brake when working on it. Since they're both there, why not!! :D

Need to chase down wheels and tires before I can proceed any further to see how far I need to lower that rear end. Will check with local mower repairman see if maybe he has a set, local junk man may have a set also, but he's so grumpy I don't know if it's worth asking!

And, we are now moved to the build section.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 01:47:39 am »
Will Mabel be assisting in the build, or she be left to keeping you with a
fresh "lemonade". We do like to hear that the ladies are helping with projects.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 02:01:45 am »
She's not much into the mechanical end of things, so I don't foresee any help there. But, I might be able to show her how to run the oribtal sander and the drill with wire brush, and she has special plans for the paint job! Which are reserved as a surprise here!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: To Build or Not To Build?
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 10:03:07 pm »
Well yesterday's progress was non-existent... previous night I was looking through a bunch of old pictures and ran across one that instigated a parts run! At the time of the pictures I had no plans to ever run a transaxle, but since I am now running one in this build, I figured a spare was probably in order. Only problem being the owner thereof had indicated some months ago that he was going to clean all of that mess up and haul it off! So after supper I jumped in the car and made a flying trip over there to see if it was still there, and.... It was!

Cost of this Mowdak1 build project item... FREEBIE!     ;D
[old attachment deleted by admin]

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 10:09:43 pm »
Will you be lowering this tranaxle setup? It would be nice to see one in a build.

and check your pm's.  i think i sent one????
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 10:30:11 pm »
Today's Progress...

• Dug the new Lincoln ProMig 140 out of the box, and set it up about 3 a.m. test drove it momentarily to see if all was going to work then called it good.
  • Picked up the steel to reinforce the frame, this afternoon along with a little steel for a project at work. Yes of course I hauled the new welder over to test drive it and get a little time on it. Been awhile since I played with a wire feed!!

Question for you guys before I start welding things together... How heavy a tube are you running on your front axle? Went with 10 gauge - 2 x 1 tubing, looked at 3/16" but that looked like I could build a truck front end out of it! Realistically we're talking what all of 3" - 4" outside the frame, so it's not like there's a whole lot of leverage out there to bend and wreck it! Am I heavy enough here? Was afraid of overbuilding and adding too much weight.

Likewise picked up a piece of 1/4" x 1" strap to build the end plates for the tube. It looked more like truck parts too, but there I have a a fair sized hole to drill through the thing, so it's gonna need a little extra meat to it!

Stumbled upon S-channel there for reinforcing the IMOW, pretty light, but I think it'll do the job nicely on this build... unfortunately, he only had 8 feet of that and it was leftovers from an order of custom bent material that was the wrong stuff. Not good in the sense that I can't get any more, without special order; good in the sense that he was tired of kicking it around on the floor, and donated it to the project!! (o:?

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 10:32:54 pm »
Will you be lowering this tranaxle setup? It would be nice to see one in a build.

and check your pm's.  i think i sent one????

Yep got the PM, but was busy at the time with checking a few things on the new Board... Yep Peerless 600!

And, yes it will be lowered. Losing the 3 inch lift and 18" tires probably aren't going to be enough to get me down to where I want to be for frame height, so it will be dropped an additional 1" - 2" to get it down to the ground. Jackshaft going in the middle of things to accomadate the drop. Lots of head scratching in the process!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 11:13:10 pm »
2 x 1 tubing, looked at 3/16" but that looked like I could build a truck front end out of it! Realistically we're talking what all of 3" - 4" outside the frame, so it's not like there's a whole lot of leverage out there to bend and wreck pucky! Am I heavy enough here? Was afraid of overbuilding and adding too much weight.

Yes you are dead on and trust me even with only 3-4 inches sticking out clip a wet bail and it will fold it right up if you use thin wall tubing. Been there done that.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 11:34:45 pm »
So are you saying the 10 gauge 2 x 1 is heavy enough there George, or do I need to run the 3/16" thick?? I picked up enough for all three front ends, but they could be made into discrete reinforcement on the BP Project when I get to that as well.

You're talking a difference of .135" to .187" wall thickness there.

What's wall thickness on your EC front end?

And, yeah I know, if wasn't trying to be such a tightwad, I could just buy one. But, again this is on the IMOW and I want it to come in under $500 complete for the sake of showing North Dakotans that they can get into the sport very reasonably. And, that this mowchine can be run in IMOW and JP doubling their fun for this budget conscious build.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 11:44:36 pm »
The 10 gauge should be fine, ours is 1/8 inch thick. 3/16 you will not bend LOL. Thin wall or what I call thin wall is just maybe a 1/16 thats streching it. That will not hold up.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 12:12:02 am »
Hey that's cool!! Your 1/8" comes in at .125" wall thickness so I'm even a little heavier than what you guys are running. Yeah, I looked at that 3/16" stuff and said, "Darn! I could push down power poles with that! I'm thinking that's a wee bit heavy! Got anything lighter than that?" He had a piece of the 10 Gauge there 3 feet long, on the short stock cart, picked it up and thought it looked and felt about right. So I took that and had him cut 2 more just like it.

I ain't no rocket scientist, but there is such a thing as overkill. If you hit something hard enough to bend the front end and it doesn't bend, something else is going to give! And, I would assume it's much easier to replace a front end than to try and straighten a chassis! There's a fine line between durable and it's gonna wreck something else!

Know what you're talking about on thin wall as well... 14 to 16 gauge steel, or .075" to .060" wall thickness, ornamental railing material.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 12:57:08 am »
Know what you're talking about on thin wall as well... 14 to 16 gauge steel, or .075" to .060" wall thickness, ornamental railing material.

Yup you got it. But believe it or not I have used this crap (thin wall) and yup don't take much to trash it. And yup there is a fine line in durability.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 02:37:39 am »
Thanks George... Appreciate the input on all this! Be bad enough if it were my mower, but since I'm building this one for the sweetie, it might not be good if it broke!  ;D

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 06:37:17 am »
*Note to self...

George said "Been there done that".."Do not do this"...

Must get thicker wall tubing for front end...  ;)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:31 am »
Keep asking notes Randy, two things will happen, I will make ya infamous  or you become famous. Now thats not to say who's mind all this is apprent in. LOL
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

anything