Author Topic: what can you do to a command single?  (Read 7747 times)

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
what can you do to a command single?
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:27 am »
So guys I've read and read on here and still havn't cleared up what exactly you can and can't do with the command singles.  If someone has a link to a thread that would help that would be cool.  I know the stock briggs rods won't take high rpms, but what about the kohler?  We pulled a k241 10 hp for years with a stock rod and bearing insert and regularly turned it past 8500 rpms with no problem.  I'm really not a briggs fan and kohlers have always been better carburated and manufactured in my opinion.  I have both and I'm leaning toward just using the briggs 31 cube ohv, but I don't want too.  I know midwest has some stuff for the v-twins, but I havn't called about the singles.  Any help would be appreciated.
Randall Kepley

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
Re: what can you do to a command single?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »
thanks tank, I guess I'll just have to see what one will do with the stock parts and a good cam.  To be honest I havn't looked inside one yet so I'll just have to see what matches up with what from other motors.  I'll bet there's more racing stuff out there for these things than people are letting on, a lot of one-offs that could be copied.  thanx again
Randall Kepley

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »
I know some guys running them with the billet flywheel and I think stock rods. Not sure what kind of RPMs They are turning but the engines run strong. All that I know of is the flywheel and a custom camshaft.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
yeah that's why I'm thinking the stock rod may hold up.   Different engines have different strength rods in them, and the stroke determines alot I know.  I think if I can get 5000 at the end of the straight and have the torque off the turns it would be worthwhile.  See what the guys you know are turning out of theirs.  thanx again
Randall Kepley

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
i was told a feller by the name of dave woods built one for a guy here in ohio... never seen it go but i guess it runs well... if you pulled tractors you had to have heard of dave woods... he built engines for my dad back in the day... i believe mwsc sells billet flywheels for these engines... but other than that im sure they can make anything you could ever dream of... especially in their new shop lol... shoot julian jr cncd a complete kohler command twin block and used the billet heads they already make and the only stock part on it (the front cover) broke on its second or third voyage down the track... mind you these motors are puttin out over 100 hp...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:40:34 pm »
I've heard of woods.  I know what you're talking about with pulling nowadays.  Our rules here in nc were different from the "west" rules as we called them.  When I started in 95 you could build a 10 hp with a bearing insert in the rod and a vogel cam and a little head work.  When I quit last year the only thing stock was the block and you could run the julian block if you wanted.  What I'm trying to find out here is not necesarily what I can buy, but what I can leave stock I guess.  I'll just have to do my own r&d and see what works I guess.  I would really like to keep this thread going for a while so people don't have to keep re-posting the same question like I did I guess.  When I find something that works I'll keep posting on here. thanx again guys.
Randall Kepley

Offline hobo3128640

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42:34 pm »
theres a guy over in Sparta, NC that builds them single cammands and boy does it run. he wont let no secrets out but he will do ya some work ill try to get his number if your interested.
Bobby hamm

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »
thanks man, I'm right here in Gold Hill, near Salisbury.  I'm sort of in between Ellerbe and Taylorsville so I'm trying to build my mowers to run with both.  Are you from NC?  I heard from a good source that there is going to be a track built near El Dorado on 109 in the Uwharrie.  They already have off-road races and mud slinging, now they are going for lawn mower racing.  I definately would like to have the guys name and number to have some engine work done.
thanx again
Randall Kepley

Offline hobo3128640

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 07:28:56 pm »
Yea im from Ashe county NC, i race with AMRA and IMR, i havnt heard of a track that way but hope they do more racing for us. i will post the guys number when i find it.
Bobby hamm

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »
Stock rod will hold 8k + . Weak spot is the cam "shaft" on the lobe side of cam gear, along with valve train wear. This is due to the amount of spring pressure to keep valves from floating at these rpm's. Billit cam with stock lightened gear mated eliminates this, fully roller is the best way to reduce wear. Flat tappet keep rpms under 65 or under 75 w/ chilled light weight lifters to avoid rapid wear. will need taller valve cover w/ roller rockers, and girdle to reduce rocker stud walk at 8k+.

Offline moparkepley1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »
thanx butcher, do you build these or know someone who does?  Who makes the billet cam? PM me if you need to I'm real interested in this.
thanx
Randall Kepley

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »
We always built our own. We turned our own blanks on a lathe and sent them to the regularly used places to be ground. We Lightened a stock (cast) cam gear on the lathe before removing from stock shaft. Just take accurate measures from one end of shaft to each side of lobes and machined (turned) lobe side of lightened cam gear before removing (this measure is critical for a flange to mount the gear onto new shaft, so it will line up correctly). We just had a machine shop cut 4 slots in gear and tap 4 threaded bolt holes in flange, slotted for correcting cam timing. Bolted it up and sent it off to be ground.

Offline MowRacing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »
Can anyone PM me some links for kohler 17 performance parts. Just picked one up and by the looks of it I wanna build it  :lol: hard to find the parts though.
Email- DirtRider03716@aol.com
Jessey Kirouac
Im a winner in my own races.

Offline SMALL ENGINE CAMS

• View Profile
    • SMALL ENGINE CAMS
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:44:52 am »
thanx butcher, do you build these or know someone who does?  Who makes the billet cam? PM me if you need to I'm real interested in this.
thanx

Hi, moparkepley1
                      I make billet cams for small engines. Here's a link to some pictures of one I did 2 weeks ago. Give me a call if you're interested.
Tim Iskenderian (310)769-6880

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/pro69nova/Isky%20Billet%20Cam/
SMALL ENGINE CAMS Tim Iskenderian
145 W. ALONDRA BLVD. GARDENA, CA. 90248
(310)769-6880 smallenginecams.com