Author Topic: CRAFTSMAN B/P BUILD  (Read 324629 times)

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: CRAFTSMAN B/P BUILD: UPDATED From time to time...
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:57 pm »
Back out to the garage once again!!! I figured tonight was a good night to haul the mower deck down to the garage to make a “DECK” for my racer.

We are going to get around 12” of snow starting sometime tomorrow and if I didn’t drag this deck from out behind the shed now, it could be buried for a while!

Here is the deck with the two sections cut off to be used.

Here is one of the above cut sections that I have marked to “THIN” the deck to be about as thick as my running board.

Here it is trimmed to size and being held up againd the running board.

Another view. With the rear wheel width set at 37.5” the deck halves fall about 1.5” narrower then the rear track width.

Here it is tacked into place.

Another View that shows the thickness (or lack of!) of the deck.

Yet one more view!

The other side was done just as a duplicate to this side but didn’t bother taking pics!

So…..They both need final welding and molding into the running board then I can check that item off the list!

Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

eddiehenjr

« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2007, 08:27:29 pm »
That looks pretty awesome!  I thought they had be deeper than that, but if that's right, you can really slam it close to the ground with good clearance!  Nice job!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2007, 09:13:41 pm »
There's still a 4" ground to frame minimum...and a 2 1/2" ground to deck minimum to consider....

Without "channeling" the body over the frame (which you can not do) the thinner deck won't help you "slam" (lower) the overall effect...

But actually, the "higher" ground clearance on the deck as shown, avoids "dragging" thru the dirt ruts on the track that sometimes develop...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline DanW

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:17 pm »
It also prevents catching the deck pieces on any tree roots that may be in the backyard during a test run...  :P

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2007, 07:58:51 am »
I copied how George did it on his build. Made 100% sense and looks so much better than a low hanging deck.

As you guys mentioned, something less to get hung up on as well!!!

As of this writing we are going to be getting 10-14" of snow....So I'm glad I did this part of the build last night!

Tonight I will make the hood latch, drill the chassis for the new engines bolt pattern, cut a slot into the rear panel for gear clearance and make the guard. 8)

Now if I can get Don to ship me my gearbox, pullies and gears I should have a  rolling chassis ready for an engine with about four (4) more hours worth of work!

Then engine time......

Just did a quick calculation of money spent to date for all parts used, some spares, 2 engines, and a misc steel that I didn't have around the shop......................

........$1865.00!!! :woo:

I didn't even get to the engine yet!!! I have a feeling that this engine is not going to as "wild" as I thought it was going to be :(

At least I know a have a good solid chassis!

I'll do a few things with the engine but can't spend to much on it at this time. (Still have to put together two more racers for the kids!)

Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

eddiehenjr

« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2007, 08:01:18 am »
There's still a 4" ground to frame minimum...and a 2 1/2" ground to deck minimum to consider....

Without "channeling" the body over the frame (which you can not do) the thinner deck won't help you "slam" (lower) the overall effect...

But actually, the "higher" ground clearance on the deck as shown, avoids "dragging" thru the dirt ruts on the track that sometimes develop...

Yeah, I guess I was thinking about it the wrong way :lol:

On my mower, I think I'm gonna just do what everyone told me.  Build up the frame steering and brakes first, and then worry about my motor.  I might just run it stock for a season and hope it holds together.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2007, 10:01:59 am »
With a good chassis, solid prescice steering, smooth rolling wheels and good brakes....you will do just fine with a stock motor...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mownorth.com
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2007, 10:15:22 am »
The way I see it you have options.

#1 Run it with whatever engine mods you can afford and just have fun. Depending on the level of competition in your area you might be ok.

#2 Put a stock flatty in it (relitively inexpensive) and run IMOW for this year. That way you can still be competitive (in class) and you have a year to get the handeling setup nailed down and save a few $$ in the meantime.

Just my .02
Lee Vine - Immediate Past President
Minnesota Lawn Mower Racing Association (a USLMRA Local Chapter)
USLMRA #'s guy
USLMRA Regional AC Director
USLMRA US Open Co-Chairmen
www.stcroixchassis.webs.com

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2007, 01:30:31 pm »
#2 Put a stock flatty in it (relitively inexpensive) and run IMOW for this year. That way you can still be competitive (in class) and you have a year to get the handeling setup nailed down and save a few $$ in the meantime.

That'as kinda what I was getting at...

If your starting with a limited budget, you can either have a "half built" motor on a "half built" chassis and run mid pack or worse...
Or you can have the killer smooth prepared chassis and the exact same stock goverened motor as everybody else and have a darn god shot at running up front...

Than the following year...with the same kind of budget...you already have a complete and smooth chassis so go all out on the motor of your choosing...that prepared chassis (as long as it's long enough) will run in any of the other classes...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Turf Warrior
  • El Toro Asesino
    • View Profile
    • Off-Road Mowers!
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2007, 04:25:40 pm »
As of this writing we are going to be getting 10-14" of snow....

Yeah, we're supposed to get hit really hard out here :omg:

I have a feeling that I wont have power for at least all of Wednesday, and more than likely won't be able to get out of the driveway...

All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association Founder/Administrator

www.offroadmowers.com - When mowing the lawn just don't cut it!

eddiehenjr

« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2007, 04:28:26 pm »
I'm gettin the snow right now!!

The way I see it you have options.

#1 Run it with whatever engine mods you can afford and just have fun. Depending on the level of competition in your area you might be ok.

Just my .02

That's what I want to do, but I'd be lucky if I can get a flatty and still have the chassis and everything in IMOW condition.  Right now, I have a 17.5 OHV... I'd hate to downsize.

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mownorth.com
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2007, 04:45:59 pm »
That's a single? if it is you might be ok for this year, in C/P. Being that it's a new class it's the first year for mow-st guys.
Sure there are some that will go wild, they always do.

For the most part I think the learning curve on the OHV will keep everyone in the same boat for at least the first half of the season anyway.
Lee Vine - Immediate Past President
Minnesota Lawn Mower Racing Association (a USLMRA Local Chapter)
USLMRA #'s guy
USLMRA Regional AC Director
USLMRA US Open Co-Chairmen
www.stcroixchassis.webs.com

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

eddiehenjr

« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2007, 09:51:30 pm »
That's a single? if it is you might be ok for this year, in C/P. Being that it's a new class it's the first year for mow-st guys.
Sure there are some that will go wild, they always do.

For the most part I think the learning curve on the OHV will keep everyone in the same boat for at least the first half of the season anyway.

Yeah, it's a single.  Just a stock OHV single.

Yeah I see your point... since it's a new class, it may not be that big/experienced.

What do you mean "learning curve"?

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2007, 08:58:23 am »
Well, decisions, decisions, decisions.....................

I know I do not want to move down to a governed class so IMOW is out.

Forget A/P for my mowshine will be to big and heavy

S/P could be a possibility

C/P was my initial intentions but that was because I have 2 40CI engines...may still go the CP route with the opposed twins mostly because other than some standard performance upgrades (porting, valve train, shaving, and cam) that is all that can be done due to nothing avail...so that kinda keeps the cost down!

B/P--I would really love to run this class for the speed...but really don't think my budget right now can afford it.

F/X...Down the road!
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2007, 11:54:04 am »
Well, decisions, decisions, decisions.....................

One of each...!!..:badgrin:

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A