Author Topic: 2010 12 Mile 500  (Read 14265 times)

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 12 Mile 500
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »
MotorMaker glad you had fun, thats what its all about right? I didn't have fun and I'm not ashamed to admitt it. And yes part failure is a part of the sport, but I can tell you straight up I would much rather have a weld on a jack shaft break than a critical weld on my steering. And I think any racer out there would agree with me on that. Myself I dont trust a factory weld, especially when they are designed to cut grass at 5mph. I was trying something different when I was doing my driveline and it didn't work, a lesson learned. But I went back to the drawing board and tried it again. So far I haven't had a problem with it. When I was building mine I decided to keep it as factory appearing as possible, and a lot of people told me it wasnt going to work the way I was building it, to me thats just going to make me try that much harder to prove them wrong, and for the most part I have suceeded in doing that. Trying different things is how this sport has gone so far in a short period of time. I've seen alot of the mowers in the pits at 12 Mile and have raced against alot of them, and I wouldn't even jump on them things if I had a death wish. So like I said before I will continue to race with my MWRL buddies and feel safe with whom I'm racing next to. 12 Mile has been around long enough that you would think they would enforce safety a little more than they do.
Conley Mowersports
4th place in MWRL 2010 Points
5th place in MWRL 2011 Points
8th place in MWRL 2012 Points

Offline MotorMaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »
I think every one who raced at twelve mile was "trying something different".  I know I was. I will agree with you some of those machines were seriously sketchy. I will also agree that I would not even think of riding some of them. However, We all take on a certain amount of risk every time we race, no matter what track or rules are used. I did what I could to make my mower safer. I reinforced the frame, Many people did not. I installed Hydraulic disc brakes,  Many did not. I made a strong front axle with a wide stance, many did not.  As far as equipment failures go (If I am not mistaken) somewhere near half of the Briggs class were listed as DNF. I think they do the best they can with the track they have at Twelve Mile. By all means if you don’t feel safe there don’t race there. But more importantly if it isn’t fun for you don’t do it.  I have no beef with you. Heck I don’t even know you. 

Offline evansop

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
Wow what a day under the scoring tent.. Most of the speeds were between 20 and 23mph and that is what there goal was for max speed. All the speeding penalties was done between the flags by the guys on top of the truck. I only tracked laptimes, positions, and operated the lights..and that was enough. Here is the Mylaps link to the day's race.  http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=560529
Kerry Evans
USLMRA President
Evans Outdoor Power & Promotions
USLMRA Timing and Scoring
USLMRA Steering Committe Member
Dixie Outlaws Safety Director
Owner/Builder 2001 S/P National Champion
e-mail: evansop@bellsouth.net

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »
Personally, I won't be back to race but will continue to cover the heck out of it as it is the nation's oldest running lawnmower race. I heard talk today that with Kerry's scoring system (Which always impresses me) they were going to open the field up to however many mowers show up. Having a fairly prepared chassis which took me three years to collect parts for - as well as maybe the loudest mower there in my class -it makes you wonder why you put thought and effort and resources into it when two guys in a sprayer truck control your outcome. I was running as high as fourth at half throttle in second gear. I've told several this - I was almost bored during the race. When you catch lap traffic and can't pass them for fear of a speeding penalty, doesn't seem fun any more. When I piece of crap mowers, I didn't care because I couldn't keep up anyway and had a better shot at winning. Yeah, I doubt if I race there again.

As far as after-factory welds, I can attest to that. We didn't get the metal hot enough on my front end. The result was a a broken weld over the custom weld (which was broken in an earlier wreck by another driver testing my mowchine) through one of the only places that isn't timed for speeding. I hammered the brakes and tossed it sideways, which took me out of line with a tree but into a straw bale. That sent me over and off. THank God Randy Troyer was paying attention. He jerked it hard right and dove off as his mower broke through the snowfence that protects spectators from mowers. Yeah. Snow fence. protecting threehundred pound machines from kids setting in chairs and blankets. I'm 6-4 and felt the aglime underme, and the track is only 10-foot wide. With my arms out, I can touch 8-foot ceilings. I was being looked out for, no doubt about it. 

Here's my ride after: http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=1687685026/PictureID=58336926026/a=2094269028_2029727026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Cindy mentioned scott earlier. He's sore as heck, too. He got pinched and ran over a tree root and broke his spindle. madde it around to home plate. He said he saw the sky three times before he stopped rolling.

As far as the attrition rate in the Briggs class, yeah, a lot of us broke. It's a quarter-mile track, big track. A lot of folks DNFed, not just in our class.

Thanks again, Kerry
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 11:06:06 am »
Couldn't of said it better myself Aaron. Glad you and Scott are ok.
Conley Mowersports
4th place in MWRL 2010 Points
5th place in MWRL 2011 Points
8th place in MWRL 2012 Points

Offline mowracer99

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:26 am »
Glad to hear you guys are ok I heard that u and Scott took a nasty spill. Need to bring your mowchine to the shop to see what we can do.
  I really think Aaron you racer likes to be on its side :bash:

Offline smokestack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »
I was there but not racing. But i am hooked now  :woo: It was my nephew that was taken away from the wreck. He is ok. Just banged up and since he is only 15 they wanted to make sure he was checked out.  Online now searching for a Mowchine lol. I live in terre haute and searched for races around here. But cant find any  :confused:

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 05:39:28 pm »
Get in touch with Aaron, Smoke STack..he knows all the races around there!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Cynderbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:40 am »
Looks like we are probably a good 3-31/2 hr drive for you. We race in Wabash and Miami Counties. The only other group I know of is the Southern Indiana Lawn Mower Racers and looks like they would be just as far if not farther for you. Hopefully Aaron will know of some racers in your area.

If you cant find any you are always welcome if you wanted to make the trip. Our website is www.mow-wheelin.com . Please excuse the mess, the website is still partly under construction and with it being summer I havent gotten around to getting it finished.

Offline smokestack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 12:47:59 pm »
Checked out everyone you said. Im dont care how far i have to drive  :lol:  Even the wife wants to race  :woo:  So thats a bonus for sure  :omg:
Oh and Cynderbelle there are no rules on your site. So what do i need to know before i start building? Thanks again for the info.

Offline EelRiverRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Mowmentum
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »
We race Monday, July 12 at the Wabash County Fair. Similar crowd to Twelve Mile on a scaled down track. Glad your nephew is alright. The first "real" wreck is always a bit scarey.

Aaron
Founder and Editor
Mowmentum Magazine
www.mowmentumonline.com

Offline Cynderbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:54 am »
smoke stack I will pm you with the info so we dont totally hi jack this thread.