Author Topic: 2010 12 Mile 500  (Read 14209 times)

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
2010 12 Mile 500
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »
Just got the qualifying results in the mail today. I will be starting 9th!! Not bad for my short track gear, lol...Also congrats to Aaron Turner, Tyler Frazier and Cindy Powell for making the show.
Conley Mowersports
4th place in MWRL 2010 Points
5th place in MWRL 2011 Points
8th place in MWRL 2012 Points

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm so fast your girlfriend cheers for me!
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 12 Mile 500
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »
I'll have to check the mail when I get home.... might not matter now though.  Mower is sitting in the garage with no motor or tranny at the moment... broke'em both qualifying lol  :doh:
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN
2-Time Indoor Winter Nationals Winner

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:39:34 pm »
I was reading the rules for the 12 Mile the other day, and I read that a speed limit of 15 mph is enforced by black flag during the race.  It really confused me as I watched a few videos of past 12 mile events and I didn't see anyone going 15 mph!! I read it over a few times and it just didn't make sense. Can anyone help me with a better idea of how that works? I mean I understand what the flag is and what 15 mile an hour is and all that, I just can't wrap my mind around a race with a speed limit, that, in the videos, seemed to be ignored. 

Here is the rule direct from the 2010 rule book word file from this link;

http://twelvemile500.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2010-Race-Rules.doc

12. A 15 mile per hour speed limit will be enforced throughout the entire race.  Speeding penalties will be assessed via the black flag penalty.  If blacked flagged, the mower number will be posted on the Black Flag whiteboard and will remain there until you have exited the track and entered the black flag lane.  Mower will stop at the judge station for recording of the penalty stop, (the mower is to remain running), and then safely return to the track via the flagged path.   

Offline povertyhillfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »
12 mile is an endurance race more or less. 1/4 track , one right hand turn,  must pit 3 times( shut off mower and dismount on one side. Oh, its 60 laps too. Its not as easy as you think! Come up and give it a try sometime, after all it is the grandfather of lawnmower racing. lways on the fourth of July.
Scott Summers

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »
The 15mph speed limit will be a enforced a little stronger now that we are running transponders
Conley Mowersports

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:14:21 am »
I would love to come up and give it a try. I like the idea of the right hand turn too. I personally would like to see a road course or two added to the national circuits (SOMA, ARMA, USLMRA, something different at your local club maybe). Right hand turns, talk about messing folks up!!

So it's 15 miles at 15 MPH, doesn't sound hard, but I'm sure it is. We run around 5 miles total on race night between heats and features, and I'm worn out after that.

So what happens when person A who in all honesty drove exactly 15 MPH, looses to person B who ran an average speed of 25 MPH but never got "caught" speeding? Or is it just gentleman's agreement that speeding is okay, just don't get caught because of the penalty?

I think it would be very hard for me to keep from speeding, I'd probably have to stop at the judges stand every lap and it would take the 5 hours to finish the race!! But it sounds like a bunch of fun!

Offline povertyhillfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:40:13 am »
Its alot of fun. They set a standard for safety, and it does stink getting caught :bash:, but its part of it. 12 mile puts on an excellent race. Each class has a max of 33 mowers at one time, no heat races. Qualifying for position is wide open though. Top speeds for this year are Briggs: 28.23,  super stock: 29.32
and modified class :  30.04 Good luck to all who are partaking in this years races.   Godspeed
Scott Summers

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:58 am »
Don't forget about the 3 pit stops you have to make to. That throws another kink in the stategy.
Conley Mowersports

Offline evansop

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:42:15 pm »
I dropped my Scoring Trailer off in 12 Mile today. Going home for a few days and will be back hopefully for the Fire Works on Saturday Night. This is going to be a Honor to Transponder Score the 12 Mile 500 this Year.. Cant Wait.
Kerry Evans
USLMRA President
Evans Outdoor Power & Promotions
USLMRA Timing and Scoring
USLMRA Steering Committe Member
Dixie Outlaws Safety Director
Owner/Builder 2001 S/P National Champion
e-mail: evansop@bellsouth.net

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:47:57 pm »
Glad to have you on board Kerry. Hope you enjoy. I myself like the idea of having the transponders, no more cheating.
Conley Mowersports

Offline jr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:17:39 pm »
where is the 12 mile race at

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »
where is the 12 mile race at

48th Twelve Mile 500
July 4, 2010
Plank Hill Park
Twelve Mile, Indiana
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Jeremy_Conley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:44:23 pm »
Well we ran the 12 Mile 500 today. I always told myself I would run it at least once, and I can honestly say I probably won't be back. They decided to run transponders this year and I really didn't see a difference at all. This "race" is suppose to have a 15mph speed limit, and I will be the first to tell you I didn't run 15mph. I did have one penalty b/c of it, spent maybe a total of 1 minute in the pits for the 3 pit stops we were required to make and I had people flying past me like I was sitting still while I was running somewhere around 20-25mph. Yet I finish 20th? It just doesn't make sense to me. Oh and not to mention the safety. This is not the safest "race". The roughest part of the track was the part you had to snake it between 2 trees. One guy was hauled to the hospital b/c the tree stood its ground and didn't move. Our good ole' buddy Aaron Turner even had a up close and personal meeting with the tree. Don't worry he walked away. So you can't tell me 12 Mile sets a standard for safety. Especially when guys are loosing handle bars, don't have brakes, tether switches aren' t working, running other racers into telephone poles. Yes there are telephone poles. These are just a few things that I seen, hard telling what other safety issues were out there. So I will continue to race with my fellow MWRL (Mow-wheelin racing League) buddies and feel safe. 12 mile will not be on my list of races for next year.
Conley Mowersports

Offline Cynderbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »
My day was cut short when my motor blew on lap 14 but I had fun while I was out there. 15 mph I dont think there was a tractor out there that was going that slow. It's all about knowing how not to get caught. My first lap I kept pace with the tractors around me, noticed how a few of them slowed down at the orange flag on the pit side of the track and the ones that flew by us got black flagged. Seems like they only enforced the speed limit in that area of the track.  I have to agree with Jeremy, it was one of the scarier races I have been to. The way the track weaves between the trees on the opposite side of the track from the speed trap..going in two/three wide at a higher speed is scary. I don't know who was taken by ambulance but I hope they are OK. Thank goodness Aaron and Scott walked away from their crashes in one piece!!

Overall it was quite the experience and it's always great to get together with fellow racers!! I think thats my favorite part :)

Offline MotorMaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »
Racer guy, I’m sorry you didn't have a good time.   I had a blast.  I got a speed penalty around lap 10. Then at lap 15 or so I twisted my handle bars off rounding the tight corner by the stands. As far as how you win this race......I have no clue.  You hear so many different strategies. Penalties and pit stops are all part of that. I am hoping to race at Wabash.(If I can get my bars fixed up by then.) The factory handle bars on my Snapper broke just below the factory weld. Probably metal fatigue in the heat affected zone. But breakage is all part of racing right? At least I didn't lose any drive line parts (like a jack shaft).......Right?